New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 12:17 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Not trying to be disrespectful to Morgan Ham, but their schedule doesn't appear to be very competitive like the teams from East River. Did they actually play any ranked teams from around the state. I looked on Max Preps and it didn't appear that they did. I would be interested to see how she would stack up against a little stiffer competition before placing the Miss Basketball crown on her head for her class. I guess we have a few more years to see how these girls develop throughout their high school careers.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 8:07 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I agree that time will tell with all of these girls. Lemmon does have a weak schedule, and I have only seen her play a few times and was impressive. I do know they said she played for the 17u girls Heat team this summer when she was 14 and will return to them this summer. This should help her. It will be fun to watch all the girls develop in the state. Great to see.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 11:21 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Rachel Hawkins - Ethan
Hope Menning - Corsica/Stickney
Kynedi Cheeseman - Hanson
Rylie Osthus - Desmet
Myah Selland - Sanborn Central/Woonsocket

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 11:19 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Dakotabjm wrote:
McKenzie Mennenga the freshman starting guard from Dakota Valley(11-8) had 26 pts, 3 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 blocked shot and 2 assists against #1 ranked Harrisburg(16-1). She was the games leading scorer and shot an impressive 12 of 14 from the free throw line as well as 4 of 8 from the field and 2 of 4 from 3 point range.

And this placing this glowing essentially verbatim review into another thread:

Dakotabjm wrote:
I attended the Harrisburg vs Dakota Valley game. Maybe Harrisburg had an off night, but Dakota Valley gave them a heck of a game. Harrisburg ended up winning by 12 pts, but that was because DV had to start fouling to try and get the ball back. DV was 11-8 coming into the game. I think some of you are putting the cart way ahead of the horse as far as how dominating Harrisburg is. Dakota Valley only has one senior and she doesn't start and doesn't play very many minutes. In fact during this game a Freshman starting guard from Dakota Valley named McKenzie Mennenga was the games overall leading scorer lighting up the Harrisburg defense for 26 points. She was 4 for 7 field goals, 2 for 4 from 3 point range and shot 12 for 14 from the line. Dakota Valley probably went deeper into their bench then Harrisburg, at one time DV had 3 freshman and two sophmores in the game, who brought them from a 12 point deficit to within two. During that span 4 of the DV starters sat on the bench for quite awhile, while Harrisburg had their starting 5 in the game. Not trying to take anything away from Harrisburg because they are a good team, but I wouldn't be writing them in as a favorite to dominate girls basketball at the A level.

Combined with lots of rationalization RE: the "not-quite-up-to-par" ability of other players mentioned in this thread (paraphrased: "only mediocre stats"; "doesn't play in rigorous game schedule / league").

Was expecting to hear an update on this player's performance (and the team result) from the District game back on Feb. 19.

dakotabjm would do well to read the thread listed below. Comprehend one of the lessons contained in the thread relative to SDSportsTalk posters advocating the stand-out talents of players to whom they are VERY close:

topic15735.html

If they are really stand-out talents - they'll stand-out ... on their own.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2013, 9:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I agree. If nothing else, if you are close to a player that you are posting about, be up front and reveal your relationship right away in your post. But bottom line, better to let someone else brag about your kids.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Well in response to the two previous posts, I am not related to the Mennenga girl in fact my kids graduated from Tri Valley. This was the first place I had seen her play as an 8th grader. She impressed me then. Since Tri Valley is in the Big Sioux Conference it isn't to tough to follow players from this conference. To the comment about the level of competition the following teams are in this conference: Harrisburg, Beresford, Tri Valley, Sioux Falls Christian, Elk Point, Dakota Valley, Tea Area, Dell Rapids. Next year they are adding 4 new teams into this conference to include West Central, Madison, Vermillion and the last team escapes my memory at this time. Several of these teams were ranked throughout the year and 3 of them made it to the State tourney to include Harrisburg, Sioux Falls Christian and West Central. This girl played against all 3 of the teams going to the State so I don't think it is fair making some comment about the lack of competition. Also if you look at Max Preps she scored 17 against West Central, 16 against Sioux Falls Christian, 15 against Beresford and 15 against my beloved Tri Valley. Also the conference just released their all conference team and this girl was named to the First Team.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 10:47 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Dakotabjm wrote:
Well in response to the two previous posts, I am not related to the Mennenga girl in fact my kids graduated from Tri Valley. This was the first place I had seen her play as an 8th grader. She impressed me then. Since Tri Valley is in the Big Sioux Conference it isn't to tough to follow players from this conference. To the comment about the level of competition the following teams are in this conference: Harrisburg, Beresford, Tri Valley, Sioux Falls Christian, Elk Point, Dakota Valley, Tea Area, Dell Rapids. Next year they are adding 4 new teams into this conference to include West Central, Madison, Vermillion and the last team escapes my memory at this time. Several of these teams were ranked throughout the year and 3 of them made it to the State tourney to include Harrisburg, Sioux Falls Christian and West Central. This girl played against all 3 of the teams going to the State so I don't think it is fair making some comment about the lack of competition. Also if you look at Max Preps she scored 17 against West Central, 16 against Sioux Falls Christian, 15 against Beresford and 15 against my beloved Tri Valley. Also the conference just released their all conference team and this girl was named to the First Team.

Mennenga is a pretty decent player, but she will have to step up her game as well as get some help from her teammates if DV is to be competitive in the new Dakota 12 Conference.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 12:49 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Dakotabjm wrote:

Not buyin' it, dude. For a guy who claims to closely follow girl's basketball in a great eastern SD league, you are a little short in providing glowing individual endorsements toward the great, competitive players in the league - well, except for one player.

Nine previous posts. All of which extoll the virtue of a single player (or seek to "talk down" the statistical accomplishments of other players mentioned in the same discussions).

post235978.html#p235978

post235979.html#p235979

post235987.html#p235987

post236155.html#p236155

post239329.html#p239329

post239418.html#p239418

post240315.html#p240315

post240316.html#p240316

post240897.html#p240897

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 1:01 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

gguy wrote:
Was expecting to hear an update on this player's performance (and the team result) from the District game back on Feb. 19.

In your haste to craft an explanation masking motives for your enthusiasm for a single player, you might have missed this query in one of my posts above.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2013, 9:04 am 
Walk On
Walk On

There is another girl from Dakota Valley that will be heard from,freshman Carlie Long

PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 11:46 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Did you guys not watch the State A girls tournament?? Shaylene Richard (9th), Cortez Standing Bear(9th), and Nettie Bettyloun(10th) from Pine Ridge are solid players in a solid program, I see the Lady Thorpes making at least one more state title game in the next three years.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 1:45 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

I did watch the game on TV and Pine Ridge is going to be in the State Title game again either next year or the year after. Really good young talent.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 11:37 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Sioux Valley had a 15 win season and started 3 freshman. 2 of those 3 started as 8th graders.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2013, 3:10 pm 
Captain
Captain

Dakotabjm wrote:
There is a freshman girl from Dakota Valley who is a starting guard, named McKenzie Mennenga whose season averages are 14 points, 1.5 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 3 steals a game according to Max Preps. As an 8th grader she was Honorable Mention on the Big Sioux Conference team. SDSU has already been inquiring about her as a freshman!

Watched McKenzie play at a tournament at Augie yesterday with her 9th grade teammates from Dakota Valley. She definitely showed flashes of some great talent and I was impressed with her. But I was also surprised to see her and her team get beat by a team of mostly 8th graders(there was a couple of 9th graders too). She didn't have near the stats listed above either.

People want leadership. And in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2013, 9:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

I watched Abby Hora last night at the Willie Mac tournament, very good player. Here is six girls in Class B that will headline their classes as we move forward:

Freshmen: Class of 2016

Abby Hora - Viborg/Hurley
Kynedi Cheesemen - Hanson
Morgan Ham - Lemmon

Eighth Graders - Class of 2017

Myah Selland - Sanborn Central/Woonsocket
Chloe Lamb - Sully Buttes
Rachel Hawkins - Ethan

This is for Class B. There are other good ones out there, but I think these six will be 1st team all state players in Class B someday.

"Use all the legends and run them off the floor. That would have won us a title Captain!"

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2013, 10:24 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

The Minnesota showcase just finished today.The SD Fierce has a player,Carley Peterson,just a freshman at 5'9,who can really stroke it from beyond the arc, plays for Sioux Valley.She might develop into something special the next few years.Good enough size for the guard position already.Anyone watch her play?Just looking at stats doesn't tell that much,other than she can shoot.Their next Tournament is in Sioux Falls for the Dakota Showcase, maybe I'll stop by there and watch her play,and maybe watch Ham too,if she's still playing for the SD Heat this year.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 5:48 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Great Dakota showcase for Ciara Duffy,scored (20)(pre tourney record 25 ) 3 ptrs in 6 games for avg 3.33 per game,scored tournament high 104 points,20 three's 17 fg ,10 ft

Not just three point shooter as her 17 fg's testify to,good size at 5'11"(lots of really good players in that tournament).Congrats to Ciara.

I think she's headed to a Div 1 carreer just like her sister Caitlin who's doing really well for the Colorado State Rams.
Others had a good tournament too,just too many to mention them all,but who also played a good tournament.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2013, 7:35 am 
GM
GM

rabbitfan63 wrote:
Great Dakota showcase for Ciara Duffy,scored (20)(pre tourney record 25 ) 3 ptrs in 6 games for avg 3.33 per game,scored tournament high 104 points,20 three's 17 fg ,10 ft

Not just three point shooter as her 17 fg's testify to,good size at 5'11"(lots of really good players in that tournament).Congrats to Ciara.

I think she's headed to a Div 1 carreer just like her sister Caitlin who's doing really well for the Colorado State Rams.
Others had a good tournament too,just too many to mention them all,but who also played a good tournament.

Good grief, we have another Duffy on SD Sports Talk!
:lol:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2013, 5:14 pm 
Starter
Starter

Here we go again!

PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 1:39 pm 
Starter
Starter

Yes, here we go again. And again. And again. And... Darned Duffy's. It's getting nauseating.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next