Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: State Meet
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2017, 5:25 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

The thing I'm most looking forward to at the state meet is the races between Jake Aanderud and Cameron Kuil. The 100 and 200 will be very exciting.
Also the class B team scores will be interesting. Colman-Egan looks like the favorite once again, but Bison and Chester are close behind. Could be interesting to see how scoring shakes out. My prediction is that Colman-Egan wins, Chester takes second, and Bison takes a close third.

Please post any other thoughts that you have about the meet.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: State Meet
PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 10:31 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Do agree with what you've said.
Girls B will be between Chester Area and Duebrook Area. Class A boys will be an epic battle betweem Sioux Falls Christian and St. Thomas More. Class A girls maybe Madison, STM, and Custer. I certainly could have missed some teams too.
Class A events, boys and girls, are pretty good all the way thru the entire meet. Girls 4x800 with STM, Hill City, Custer, and Madison will be an event the track fan will want to see.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2017, 5:50 pm 
Starter
Starter

AA team champs will be Lincoln in both again. The only way it doesn't happen is a colossal meltdown and even then it may not be enough. The only interesting portion of the AA team race is the boys 2nd, 3rd, and 4th between RCC, Watertown, and BV. The individual races will be great, but overall, the Sioux Empire Patriots are too deep.

Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 9:54 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Is the 1st day broadcast/webcast anywhere?

"If you don't think that is awesome....then you need awesome classes!"

PostPosted: May 26th, 2017, 5:30 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

ringthebells wrote:
....but overall, the Sioux Empire Patriots are too deep.

Maybe the funniest thing I've read on this site...even if it goes over the heads of most.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2017, 6:32 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

STM girls DQ in final event of day (4x400) and end in a tie with Madison for 1st. All they needed was to run the event and even get 8th and they would still win. What happened there?

PostPosted: May 27th, 2017, 7:54 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

For whatever reason on the anchor leg with 200 meters left the STM girl cut in front of the madison girl almost tripping her, bringing up the automatic flag.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 8:42 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I found it odd that Allan McDonnell won outstanding field athlete with two 2nd place finishes (2nd in high jump and 2nd in triple). I thought the award should have went to Kelly O'Bryan who finished 1st in triple jump and 1st in long jump, beating Allan in both. I wonder why the coaches voted the way that they did. Seems pretty simple who the winner should have been.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2017, 11:39 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I would like to know some reasoning behind how coaches vote for MVPs. Look at Class A boys with Kuil and DeWeerd. I understand how this could be a difficult decision. It just would be interesting to hear some of the reasoning. As a fan I would choose DeWeerd but that's just me.
The girls Class A field MVP. How many coaches know who Jordan Menken is? 2 first places finishes and 2 'gold medal wins'?
Anyway, certainly don't want to take anything away from anyone. Congrats to Kuil and Howell. Both had great events as did DeWeerd and Menken.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2017, 10:54 am 
Walk On
Walk On

does anyone here know why macy Heinz(sp) from Ipswich did not participate? I don't think she graduated, was she injured?

PostPosted: May 29th, 2017, 4:23 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Macy Heinz: stress fracture, requiring surgery, early in season. Kept her from competing the rest of the season.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2017, 4:17 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

The young girl (Timmer) from STM was trying to win the race. She didn't account for the surge the Madison girl (Rud) injected to keep her on her shoulder around the curve. It is smart racing and it was a good tactical move. Rud has a lot more racing experience than her opponent in that race. That is a rivalry that isn't going away between Madison and STM. Both teams return their studs next season.

Waterboy, agree with you. DeWeerd had 4 first places. I think the 400 put down by Kuil may have sealed it for him though. That was impressive. Voters are captivated by the sprints.

Didn't see the sense in awarding Howell both awards. I could have argued for the Schultz girl from DV as well. She was fantastic on day 2 in the 1600 and Medley anchor.

"I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man."

PostPosted: May 30th, 2017, 4:24 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Is the SDPBS broadcast available for viewing?
If we order it how long does it take?

Also is there a link that explains the flags? I'm a new track mom, I'm trying to figure out how it's ok for kids to cut off each other at some times but not at others.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2017, 9:02 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I've attended every SD state track meet since 1984 except for a couple years when I was out of state. Every year there are people who complain why or how certain individuals can win the MVP when there were better candidates who did so much more. Anyone that was there this past weekend knows that they made an announcement ever 30 minutes for coaches to turn in ballots. Coaches who don't have a horse in the race don't turn in ballots unless they have a good friend who has a horse in the race. It becomes a political battleground for votes. I've heard of coaches texting other coaches about how not to vote for individuals because of a rumor of drug use, I've heard coaches selling future votes for present votes, I've heard of coaches refusing to vote for an athlete because of the side of the river they come from. It is rarely about the best athlete and all about the coaches lobbying for votes.

As far as fouls, it is like any game...it's all in what the officials see. My major complaint is that the people who are the judges making these calls are not certified officials. They don't have to take a rules test. They don't have to attend any track meets prior to the state meet. They only need to sign up and attend to get their flag, lunch, and a small stipend to do the job....oh...they also need to be an athletic director.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2017, 8:04 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Negative Dan, interesting post. I'm not sure there is much to argue in this DQ case, but you bring up a good point. It is the SD way. I have considered getting certified in Track and Field but I don't think I would find any meets to work. It is a pretty tight knit group. The conference and region meet referee where I am is an old, grumpy legacy AD that really provides no value to a meet. It is kind of embarrassing.

"I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man."

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2017, 1:07 pm 
Starter
Starter

"In 2017, I predict another Ipswich victory - 6 straight titles, all led by Heinz who will finally be a senior. She has 19 titles, one second, and of those 19 titles, 17 are indvidual. Throw in 5 MVP awards and 5 team titles and Heinz is the MJ of girls track and field in South Dakota. I see a career ending with 6 team titles, 6 MVP's, 23 titles with 21 individual titles. What a career!

I see a Chester and Colman-Egan classic next year for the boys team title. Can't wait for 2017!"

Here was my predictions last year after state for this year's meet. If Heinz was healthy, I would have been spot on. Chester-Colman Egan was a classic. I'll take a shot at the B's in 2018.

Girls - Deubrook loses no one and winning the first state title in school history should bring a lot of excitement to the program. You have to go back to Faulkton in 2007 for a girls team not to go at least back to back (Hanson 2008-2009) (ORR 2010-2011) (Ipswich 2012-2016). I see back to back titles for the Deubrook Dolphins. Parker moving to class A gives everyone else a chance to move up on the podium. Newell, New Underwood, and Ipswich should be on the podium next year.

Boys - The favorite at this point would have to be Bison with Buckhalter and their returning shot and discus thrower. I think there is still some uncertainty and a score in the 40's might win the 2018 state title. Colman-Egan and JVC should contend. Potter County and Castlewood will be in the mix. The sleeper here might be Freedom behind sophomore standout Braxton Schmidt (brother of record setting legend Brennan Schmidt). Braxton ran under the radar and is running similar times to what Brennan did at his age. Freeman ran a 3:29 mile relay with no seniors this past weekend - this team might be for real.

Should be a good 2018 season as usual. I thought the boys teams this year was very solid and I think the girls was loaded - the best it has been in awhile. Be interesting what happens the next 12 months.

Have a good summer everyone.

"Use all the legends and run them off the floor. That would have won us a title Captain!"

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ]