Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 11 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Playoof Point System
PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 9:39 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Can someone expalin this to me??? I realize things will become more clear as the season rolls on, but how is this possible?

Class 11AAA
Seed Points W-L
SF Washington 50.000 4-0
RC Stevens 43.500 3-1
Watertown 43.000 2-2
Brandon Valley 42.750 3-1
SF Roosevelt 42.750 3-1
SF O'Gorman 42.000 3-1
Aberdeen Central 40.250 1-3
RC Central 40.000 2-2
SF Lincoln 38.250 0-4

If the playoffs were today, Rapid City Stevens and Watertown would be ahead of Brandon, Rosie, and OG??? Watertown has two loses (enough said), Stevens was beaten handily head to head against Roosevelt. OG, Rosie, and Brandon have only lost to the undefeated number one team. This makes no sense at all. Stevens' three wins come against teams with a combined record of 4 wins and 8 loses. Someone explain to me how the playoff point system makes sense.

Does not pass the eye test for me!!

"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Playoof Point System
PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 1:41 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Look on SDHSAA.com Under Football general handbook I believe.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 2:54 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Gojacks12 wrote:
Look on SDHSAA.com Under Football general handbook I believe.

No, I saw it on there, it just does not make any sense!

PostPosted: September 19th, 2017, 9:20 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

It is all about winning percentage. There has not been enough games played to even get close to an accurate account on how the power points will play out. No sense in even worrying about it unless you just want to make conversation. If you look at Stevens they have beaten 3 teams that all had wins (Higher win percentage per team more power points). Then I looked at Roosevelt they have beat 2 teams that had no wins (less win percentage per team less power points). According to way they figure it you beat teams with better records you get more power points. It is really easy to figure and it will even out by the end of the year. This power point system is fair and unbiased. It does not care about the eye test or style points on how bad you beat or get beaten by someone. It is all about the wins and losses. You beat or get beaten by teams with better records you get more points according to their winning percentage formula.

How far west of the river is considered west river?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 6:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The point the original author was making is how can Watertown have more points with a 2-2 record than Brandon Valley does with a 3-1 record. I think 2 things that could explain this is that the quality of losses is considered and is the class of the team you play. I understood it that if you play down a class, you don't earn as many points for a victory or a loss. However in this situation - Watertown has one win and one loss against AA schools where Brandon Valley has played all their games against AAA competition. Clearly BV should have a higher point value.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 6:59 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

TennesseeHusker wrote:
The point the original author was making is how can Watertown have more points with a 2-2 record than Brandon Valley does with a 3-1 record. I think 2 things that could explain this is that the quality of losses is considered and is the class of the team you play. I understood it that if you play down a class, you don't earn as many points for a victory or a loss. However in this situation - Watertown has one win and one loss against AA schools where Brandon Valley has played all their games against AAA competition. Clearly BV should have a higher point value.

Also wondering how head to head has no bearing on this?? Rosie and Rapid City Stevens, same record, Rosie, with siginificant win against Stevens head to head and that doe snot matter at all?? So load up your schedule with top 11AA schools if you are a 11AAA school, because those wins, if they happen, mean more than any game against a lower level 11AAA school?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 7:08 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Read the rules for the power points. Based on your posts you have not read or understood them.

How far west of the river is considered west river?

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 7:34 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

old moose wrote:
Read the rules for the power points. Based on your posts you have not read or understood them.

Wow! Have a nice day!! I will just sit and wait for you to spread your vast knowledge to everyone and I will not post anymore! Enjoy the season! I will not take up the Boards' valued space anymore with my lack of knowledge! I wish you the best!! ( By the way, I have read them numerous times, my point is, they don't make sense to me the way they are working out now. But I bow to your superiority!)

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 12:32 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

The thing most people forget is that the points awarded for each win or loss can change throughout the entire year. For instance, if you win your 1st game of the season, you only get 41 points because the team you beat is 0-1. If that team wins their second game, the points for your win in the 1st game jump from 41 to 47.

Basically, all the points awarded change depending on how your opponent does throughout the entire season, not just what their record was when you played them.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 1:56 pm 
Starter
Starter

yessir wrote:
The thing most people forget is that the points awarded for each win or loss can change throughout the entire year. For instance, if you win your 1st game of the season, you only get 41 points because the team you beat is 0-1. If that team wins their second game, the points for your win in the 1st game jump from 41 to 47.

Basically, all the points awarded change depending on how your opponent does throughout the entire season, not just what their record was when you played them.

This is probably the best explanation for what you're looking for. Basically, it's too early to get concerned about it because the points can jump around. It's kind of funny how that works out. For example, when RCS loses to Washington this week, RCS will fall because of the loss, but Roosy will also be hurt because they'll lose 3 power points as RCS drops to a .500-.750 team.

Also, two of Roosy's three wins have come against teams that have yet to win a game. On paper (which is how this is calculated) those don't look very good. It should all work itself out by season's end, and if they are tied that is when Roosy's head-to-head win will come into play as the tiebreaker.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 2:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Are most schools in the 9-man and even the 11 a & b on a 2 year rotation? then after that 2 year they change on who they might want to play?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 11 posts ]