View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 7:03 am 
Rookie
Rookie

When I was in high school - they didn't even have playoffs. The state tournaments in BB were A and B. I saw the other day that there were only 17 11A teams in the state. If that is true, basically half of all schools are in the playoffs. That kind of waters down the distinction of making the playoffs in my opinion. It's great that kids can compete for trophies, but it is really strange for me to see Yankton, Mitchell, Brookings, etc. not competing with the Sioux Falls schools. How many AAA schools are there? Can't be many more than 8. How many AA schools? Seems to me the basketball classes work really well with 3.

Last edited by TennesseeHusker on September 20th, 2017, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 7:58 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

http://www.sdhsaa.com/Athletics/BoysSpo ... les11.aspx

PostPosted: September 20th, 2017, 8:06 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Here is also the blog on this site in the past about this topic.

topic17903.html

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 8:56 pm 
Starter
Starter

Yankton, Mitchell, Brookings weren't competing with the SF schools long before AAA became a class. Seriously, it was a joke. The 7 classes is a joke as well, but something had to be done. Not sure a new class was the right path, but I don't have any better ideas. A question I've wondered, what is the difference in enrollment between the top and bottom of each class? I know the SF public schools are all around 2500 for 9-12. BV, who may or may not be the smallest AAA school (excluding O'G since they petition up) has a 9-12 enrollment of around 1100. The over around 2 and 1/2 times the size. I have no idea what Yankton, Mitchell, and Brookings enrollment numbers are, but they are smaller than BV. Do the other classes have such a large discrepancy in enrollments? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm seriously wondering.

Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 9:07 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

http://www.sdhsaa.com/Athletics/Classif ... ships(ADMs).aspx

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 6:15 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Trig72 - your link didn't work - but found it - thanks. The address has (ADMs) in it, which apparently confuses this forum software and it reformats the link.

Wow. Blows my mind to see those enrollment numbers. Mitchell, Huron, and Pierre have smaller enrollment than Madison had back in 68 when I graduated. Yankton is about the same size. Madison is less than half of what we had back in those days even though the city has grown by 1000 residents. Sad to see the family farm culture dying off.

Really strange to see schools that were big rivals now consolidated - if not for education for sports - Colman and Egan Ramona and Oldham and Rutland. Florence and Henry.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:00 am 
Starter
Starter

TennesseeHusker wrote:
When I was in high school - they didn't even have playoffs. The state tournaments in BB were A and B. I saw the other day that there were only 17 11A teams in the state. If that is true, basically half of all schools are in the playoffs. That kind of waters down the distinction of making the playoffs in my opinion. It's great that kids can compete for trophies, but it is really strange for me to see Yankton, Mitchell, Brookings, etc. not competing with the Sioux Falls schools. How many AAA schools are there? Can't be many more than 8. How many AA schools? Seems to me the basketball classes work really well with 3.

There are huge gaps in enrollment, but we have less than 800,000 people in this state. We have more classes for football than states larger than SD. I think there should be 2 11-man, and 2 9-man classes. Just my opinion.

hankb (these are my opinions, and the only facts stated are that I wrote them unless otherwise specified)

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 10:47 am 
Captain
Captain

I agree with hankb ..... for whatever that is worth ....

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 2:37 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

When you are playing your first state championship game at 10:30 am on a Thursday...................I would say yes. Why don't we just play one every night of the week?

YOU'RE GONNA DIE CLOWN!!!!!

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 7:04 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

1 less class in each level of football would be good.7 us way to many. Led to having a ESD state championship game every year

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ]