All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 9:35 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Which teams will be at the top of their respective classes this year? I follow A closer than the other classes, and suspect that many of the schools that were successful last season will be back again this year. Lennox, Hamlin, Vermillion, Madison, and STM should all be in the thick of it. I'd add Belle, and it seemed like Elk Point / Jefferson had some good young kids last year that should come on stronger this season. Winner has a good program, but I'm not sure what they'll have going this year. In the B ranks, Sully Buttes and Ethan both graduated some solid seniors - will they be able to reload quickly enough to contend again? In AA, Brandon, Harrisburg, and Aberdeen Central come to mind. Stevens should be tough as well. Not sure on the other Sioux Falls schools but they are all typically pretty solid.

Someone can let me know who I'm missing.....

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: September 21st, 2017, 5:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

McCook Central/Montrose should be tough. They return a lot, including Morgan Koepsell for the fourth year. She should be able to get her 2,000th career point this year. West Central will also be good. They've had a good program for several years and only lost one senior from last years team. Dell Rapids should also be really good as I believe they only lost one senior from last years 7th place team.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 2:22 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Class A will once again be a battle for 2nd place. No one is beating STM in Class A.

"I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man."

PostPosted: September 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm 
Starter
Starter

Brandon Valley was going to be a team to be reckoned with until Krista Bickley blew out her knee. They will still be really good, but she is a huge loss.

Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 9:29 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Class B ranks, thinking New Underwood will make some noise. They are young, quick, tall, and talented. Also, placed 5th last year with losing only one starter (however, she was pretty good--playing at BH now), but the Jones girl could be someone to watch in the next four years.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 2:23 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Warner returns nearly everyone....... and a tall athletic girl that was out last year entirety with an injury.... also had 2 or 3 girls with age and size on their JV that were good enough to start on alot of varsity s....will be deeper than anyone they play....even in the state tournament.....should be ranked one at tourney time

PostPosted: October 27th, 2017, 4:52 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

AA: Harrisburg
A: STM (Rapid City Area All-Star recruits)
B: Warner

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 8:57 am 
Walk On
Walk On

PumpedinPurple wrote:
AA: Harrisburg
A: STM (Rapid City Area All-Star recruits)
B: Warner

Here we go again. Another cheap shot from the uninformed. What school do you represent, Pumped? Has every student there attended since kindergarten? If not, I guess they were recruited?

Please name the STM "recruits" among the fifteen girls on the team.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 8:06 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

This STM recruiting comment is unfair and could be attributed to jealousy for the success they've had. I'm even from the eastern part of SD, but I think that now that we have open enrollment and a very mobile society that "recruitment" (or whatever you want to call it) could happen to many schools. However, I don't think STM is even guilty of anything ------ end of story.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 1:26 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Thanks, Old Faithful. Glad to hear that some are wise enough not to drink the STM recruiting kool-aid. I guess Purple is still working on his list. I wish him luck with that.

For the record, of the girls on STM's team.......

1) Senior Kayla Jacobsen came to STM as a seventh-grader, following two older brothers who graduated from STM.
2) Freshman Haleigh Timmer came as a sixth-grader, also following two older siblings.
3) Sophomore Ciara Benson arrived as a sixth-grader, following an older brother.
4) Senior Jayden Bies came as a third-grader if I'm not mistaken. Her family ranches south of Hermosa, which doesn't have a high school. Her three older siblings all attended STM.

The other girls on the team have attended STM since kindergarten.

It would be great if this could be the end of that story, but I've no doubt that someone uninformed, misinformed, or just plain dense will perpetuate the smear campaign.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm 
Starter
Starter

Axel wrote:
Thanks, Old Faithful. Glad to hear that some are wise enough not to drink the STM recruiting kool-aid. I guess Purple is still working on his list. I wish him luck with that.

1) Senior Kayla Jacobsen came to STM as a seventh-grader, following two older brothers who graduated from STM.
2) Freshman Haleigh Timmer came as a sixth-grader, also following two older siblings.
3) Sophomore Ciara Benson arrived as a sixth-grader, following an older brother.
4) Senior Jayden Bies came as a third-grader if I'm not mistaken. Her family ranches south of Hermosa, which doesn't have a high school. Her three older siblings all attended STM.

It would be great if this could be the end of that story, but I've no doubt that someone uninformed, misinformed, or just plain dense will perpetuate the smear campaign.

So what I'm hearing is that St. Thomas More's recruiting is so complex that they are targeting 4- and 5-year-olds and getting them in Kindergarten before they even enter another school. What a huge advantage. :D

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 5:02 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

It doesn't stop there. The school will also open it's wallet wide enough to bring in entire families, years in advance, in order to sign public school seven-year-olds who show promise in the YMCA second grade league.

Justice has finally prevailed. PumpedinPurple has exposed STM's dirtiest and darkest secret. No doubt there will be significant sanctions forthcoming from the SDHSAA.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 9:28 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I think STM will openly say they recruit. They are a private school and numbers matter. My niece is on that list you have there. Her parents pay full tuition. I'd send my kids there if I was in the Hills.

Lennox will give them a run, maybe.

"I have a different constitution. I have a different brain; I have a different heart; I got tiger blood, man."

PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 4:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Axel wrote:

Don't know about the others, but I know for a fact, Kayla was in the public school system through 8th grade. She played on the Central freshman team as an 8th grader.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 11:37 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I checked on that and you're right, she did wait until freshman year to come over. Her younger sister came as a sixth or seventh grader. They followed their older brothers to STM- you might remember them. Both graduated from STM, Nate went on to play basketball for Mines and Jarred was a quarterback for Northern.

Research the others and I suspect you'll find I'm accurate on their enrollments. At the end of the day, the allegations of recruiting are a crock. Our girls have worked their tails off for years to be where they are. No different than the Madison football team. I suppose it's easier to smear a successful program than to acknowledge all of the hard work that went into it.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 12:13 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

NebraskaNorm wrote:
I think STM will openly say they recruit. They are a private school and numbers matter. My niece is on that list you have there. Her parents pay full tuition.

For what it's worth, numbers matter every bit as much for funding at public schools as they do at private schools.

I guess I'm not sure if you're suggesting that your niece was recruited. If so, I'm curious as to what methods of recruiting STM employed in the process. Was she not preceded by an older sibling at STM? Was that sibling recruited as well? Did STM officials state something unethical or outrageous such as "We'd love to have your daughter join us."? What school wouldn't do that? Of course STM will put it's best foot forward and welcome new students, just as any school would. You'd be furious if yours didn't, and rightfully so.

If that constitutes recruiting, we're guilty as charged. Along with every other school in the state.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 7:31 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Open enrollment makes everything wide open. Good schools and good programs also draw good kids so no recruiting is probably necessary. Let's simply drop this subject ------------ and play ball.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 9:27 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Axel, my niece was not recruited. Her family decided to go when the older kids were in HS/MS (who were not star athletes). It was only when they approached the school about attending did the staff 'sell' STM to them. I am sure STM was pleased with the decision.

STM has a lot of good people. I know they do recruit, which doesn't bother me. I am sure they recruit students that aren't athletes as well.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 12:09 pm 
Starter
Starter

Class B

1. Warner
2. DeSmet
3. New Underwood
4. Ethan

Not sure after that. Class B was loaded last year with good teams and exceptional seniors.

"Use all the legends and run them off the floor. That would have won us a title Captain!"

PostPosted: November 29th, 2017, 11:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

When do pre-season rankings come out?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next