New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Shocker at Post 22
PostPosted: October 8th, 2017, 10:38 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

According to Nate Brown on SD Sports Buzz, Mitch Messer has resigned at Post 22 to become VP of Baseball Operations for the Expedition League, the new college wood bat leaggue that will start play this coming summer.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Shocker at Post 22
PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

from what i have heard, it's for the best. some disturbing rumors that definitely question my support for the program.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 4:59 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

westriverbaseball wrote:
from what i have heard, it's for the best. some disturbing rumors that definitely question my support for the program.

The key word there is rumors. Post 22 wouldn't want the support of someone who posted some bulls**t like this anyway. Good riddens.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I think that deppens on which rumor we're talking about.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 9:52 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

El Jefe wrote:
I think that deppens on which rumor we're talking about.

I guess I would like to know what you guys are driving at. He had one of his guys get let go(which was very public), he also had his GM duties taken from him. Both of which would probably worry him about his job security. But I've not heard anything at all about the Board not wanting him to run the baseball operations. Messer was never gonna be a lifer at 22. He's got young kids and has always been looking for the next opportunity up the ladder. This business of painting a picture of "disturbing" behavior is ludicrous. And questioning your support of the program?? Give me a break.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 9:22 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Wayne Sullivan, head football coach at St. Thomas More, has been hired as the general manager for Post 22 baseball. Sullivan, who is a Post 22 alum and former assistant coach under Dave Ploof, will handle the business operations of the team and have input on the hiring of the field manager. Nate Brown is reporting that Post 22 alum and former MLB player Kelvin Torve is one of the leading candidates for the position.

Any other names in the rumor mill? Based past hires, you have to expect the next manager is someone who has ties to the Post 22 program.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 10:48 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Sullivan will be a strong addition to the program in the GM role. Very glad to see that happen.

Wish nothing but the best for Messer. With three young kids on the home front, one should not speculate on any other decision drivers to leave 22. The 3+ months of in-season games, tournaments and travel are plenty of reason in my book for his decision to be a father/husband first (without even considering off-season schedules). Don't know details regarding the Expedition League position, but it has to be much less time intensive.

The older I get, the better I was...........

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 10:15 am 
Walk On
Walk On

PowerMan wrote:
Sullivan will be a strong addition to the program in the GM role. Very glad to see that happen.

Wish nothing but the best for Messer. With three young kids on the home front, one should not speculate on any other decision drivers to leave 22. The 3+ months of in-season games, tournaments and travel are plenty of reason in my book for his decision to be a father/husband first (without even considering off-season schedules). Don't know details regarding the Expedition League position, but it has to be much less time intensive.

This is a good move for Messer and for Post 22. I wish him the best, but I will say, having a son in the program, the road the program has been heading is concerning. It desperately needs a new direction. Mr. Sullivan is a very welcome start to that direction. I understand they will finally be drug testing which has been urged but never implemented. The drug problem is a growing problem in RC, and you need a Head Coach, GM, and board that is willing to not "look the other way".
I hope they get a 22 veteran, but if you look at how many coaches the program has ran off in the last 7 years, I am not sure there are very many that will be interested.
I hope Coach Torvie has an interest. He has been a great influence to many of the younger kids. And in my experience, has been an awesome coach on and off the field.

The reality of this is that unless you are in the parent group, most everyone is getting things wrong. There are a lot of rumor's, but there is a lot of truth as well. Good news is that Coach Messer is going to do something more suited for him and the program is going to get back on track, and even better the program is going to start becoming more of the solution to the drug problem than enabling it.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:00 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Or just maybe the parents of the players should do something about the drug use instead of pointing fingers...................

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 8:37 am 
Rookie
Rookie

gruper19 wrote:
Or just maybe the parents of the players should do something about the drug use instead of pointing fingers...................

"Don't tell your parents."

I've been a fan for 40+ years. I can say with certainty that as an institution, Post 22 Baseball has gotten off track, especially the last three years. That's undeniable. Drugs are an issue, but simply one of many issues. A fresh start and fresh leadership will be good for Post 22.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 3:03 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

gruper19 wrote:

Fair enough. But when I drop off my son there is a reasonable amount of responsibility that shifts to the staff. On my sons first road trip with the varsity to Cheyenne, they arrived at the hotel around nine and telling the kids "You're on your own for food" is ridiculous. So there you have an entire group of boys wandering the streets of Cheyenne looking for food unattended. Nothing a parent can do at that point.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:22 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

El Jefe wrote:
gruper19 wrote:

"Don't tell your parents."

I've been a fan for 40+ years. I can say with certainty that as an institution, Post 22 Baseball has gotten off track, especially the last three years. That's undeniable. Drugs are an issue, but simply one of many issues. A fresh start and fresh leadership will be good for Post 22.

I can’t disagree with any of that.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:36 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

postparent wrote:
gruper19 wrote:

Fair enough. But when I drop off my son there is a reasonable amount of responsibility that shifts to the staff. On my sons first road trip with the varsity to Cheyenne, they arrived at the hotel around nine and telling the kids "You're on your own for food" is ridiculous. So there you have an entire group of boys wandering the streets of Cheyenne looking for food unattended. Nothing a parent can do at that point.

I fail to see your point. What am I missing? This isn’t anything new. Trust you raised a responsible young man????

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 9:16 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

gruper19 wrote:
postparent wrote:
gruper19 wrote:

I fail to see your point. What am I missing? This isn’t anything new. Trust you raised a responsible young man????

Wow and more wow

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 10:19 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Recent Post 22 player here...I love the baseball scene in Rapid and always will, as it provided me with some of my best memories. I figured I could contribute a few things on the shakeup in RC and what it could potentially mean. 1.) Post 320 will be a force to be reckoned with in the future, and if Post 22 screws up this hire, there will be a new power house program. Downs and Yamada are excellent coaches that have already assembled a pretty good staff top to bottom. In the last 5 years (never in the Ploof years), Post 22 began hiring college-aged kids to coach the lower programs. Great opportunities for those individuals, but I believe it hurts the program to have 20 year olds coaching 15 years olds. 320 will focus on development, and with better coaches, that's where they will have their greatest advantage over 22. 2.) I'm not so sure Messer "looked the other way" on these things. I'm sure he heard rumors and maybe should have taken them more seriously, but he's a good guy who knows baseball and cares about his players. He deserves the best in the future. 3.) @PostParent, I have played on a lot of baseball teams and leaving kids on their own for food/activities on trips is fairly standard, even at that age. 4.) There are tons of rumors going around about 22, and many are true. I will leave it at that...Post 22 fans are awesome, but let's be honest, sometimes it's a little much when adults are gossiping and getting involved with these kid's personal lives and futures. It's just a game. You aren't their parents or their coach. I too hope that changes will be made, but I have heard a lot of adults spread rumors about 16 year old kids (not referring to anyone on this board), and it sickens me. 5.) There are/have been a ton of good kids in the 22 program, and these rumors don't reflect them all. Drugs are a huge problem in our country, state, and city. I'm sure we will see them implement drug testing because it has cost them 4 solid players the last few years, but really, parents of these kids should be held accountable too. I firmly believe that if caught, any player should be immediately kicked off the team, but at the end of the day, the head coach can only do so much to keep players away from it if their parents don't care and all their buddies do it when they aren't on road trips. Outside of practices and games, coaches aren't really that involved with the players. The direction of post 22 the next 5 years will be interesting. I'm interested to see if the expedition league takes away some of 22's fans and how 320 develops in comparison to Post 22. Poole made them competitive, but he really screwed up that program in my opinion. He tried to make it like Post 22 but lacked the resources and the talent and because of that, a great option for kids who love baseball but didn't want to do it 24/7 and kids that wanted to play high school dissapeared.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 2:19 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

@baseballguy15

I can absolutely guarantee you there were college-aged kids coaching younger teams while Ploof was around. I had some coach me, and I coached teams as a college student.

And if you think that the reason Poole was so unsuccessful at 320 and "really screwed up that program" is because he tried to make it like Post 22...how are Down and Yamada going to take the program in the right direction enough to challenge Post 22? If the ultimate goal is to challenge Post 22, you have to change the entire culture of 320 and that's not going to come very easily or quickly. The only thing that will make 320 competitive is by taking talent from 22 before they get there and making both programs watered-down versions of what Rapid City baseball could be.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 2:25 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I'm with Gruper as well on all of this. You're telling me the only thing keeping your 16-year-old son from doing drugs is a coach looking after them 24/7? Or that they need a fix so bad that they have to wander around Cheyenne, WY at night on a baseball trip? That seems more like a parental issue than a coaching/program issue to me.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 3:35 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I will tell you this, in college there are curfews and the team eats together based on the coach organizing the meals. At least it was in my experience. But what do I know this is Post 22. College is a downgrade right? And parents are irresponsible to have certain expectations? Give me a break! Yes, parents should be raising their children right. I agree and I feel I have, or least I think I have. But I will say this, behind closed doors, the public would shudder at some of these truths. Along with the fans, sponsors, and general public. As a fundraising parent, I do have expectations for a coach that is most likely the highest paid Legion Coach in the country. I think common sense should agree with that.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 4:58 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I'm interested in what you've been seeing behind closed doors these past few years that would make the public shudder so much.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 6:44 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

postparent wrote:
I will tell you this, in college there are curfews and the team eats together based on the coach organizing the meals. At least it was in my experience. But what do I know this is Post 22. College is a downgrade right? And parents are irresponsible to have certain expectations? Give me a break! Yes, parents should be raising their children right. I agree and I feel I have, or least I think I have. But I will say this, behind closed doors, the public would shudder at some of these truths. Along with the fans, sponsors, and general public. As a fundraising parent, I do have expectations for a coach that is most likely the highest paid Legion Coach in the country. I think common sense should agree with that.

I had to make an account because I'm sick of reading stuff like this
I played under coach Messer for 5 years and in that time we won 4 state titles in a row. He may be a hard ass, but he got the best out of every single one of us. If your kid is so soft that he can't get dinner on his own then he probably should be across the parking lot. It's sad to not see coach messer celebrated for what he did do for our program, I know I all of my success in that program to him.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next