View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 11 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: September 25th, 2016, 2:01 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Being how the season is at it's halfway point and the regular polls are just ruled by 11-man people trying to rate 9-man teams. I will attempt to give my top 5 per class for 9-man. You all can chime in and give yours to so we get a true feeling who is truly the best per class.

9AA
1. Gregory 5-0
2. Wolsey-Wessington 4-1
3. Webster 4-0
4. Mt. Vernon/Plankington 4-0
5. Canistota 4-0

Outside looking in is Baltic 4-0, W/WS/SC 3-1. This is the absolute toughest class in 9-man. There are a few other teams that could be mentioned also. Bon Homme(very talented and dangerous team) needs to quit playing 8-man football or they are going to end up 3-5 on the year. Chester needs to pull together and play big against all teams. Kimball/White Lake has 2 close loses against very good teams. Britton/Hecla or Deuel could also make a run and be 7-1 by years end.

9A
1. Warner 4-0
2. Sully Buttes 5-0
3. Potter County 4-0
4. Colman-Egan 4-0
5. Phillip 3-0 They play New Underwood Monday at 6 Mt.

Outside Looking in Castlewood 5-0 and Scotland 4-1. I have my eye on Lemmon/Mcintosh because they are good enough to ruin someones run in the playoffs. Gayville-Volin could also make some noise and could give Scotland some fits on the 7th.

9B
1. Corsica-Stickney 4-0
2. Harding County 4-0
3. Colome 3-1
4. Hamlin 5-0
5. Langford 4-1 If Gibbs gets healthy then I will rate them higher.

Outside looking in, none. Faulkton and Leola both have nice teams but will not make it out of the first round unless they would happen play each other. There are going to be a lot of .500 or less teams make playoffs in this class.

How far west of the river is considered west river?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: October 16th, 2016, 11:08 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Now that we are here at the end of the season I will give my final top 5 per class. Hopefully this will be how it will end at the end of the year, but I am still fuzzy on a few power point endings especially in the 9A ranks where if Potter would upset Sully it could be a huge game changer for that class.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Wolsey-Wessington
3. Webster
4. Canistota
5. Britton-Hecla

Baltic, Chester, and MVP are very good teams also but I think the top 5 above are just a little better than these. Clark, Garretson, Deuel, Kimball, W/WS-SC, Stanley County, Hill City, and Bon Homme will round out the rest of the playoff bunch. Arlington and Lyman are peaking in, but some major things would have to happen for them to make it. Only one team under .500 makes payoffs in this group.

9A
1. Warner
2. Sully Buttes
3. Potter County
4. Colman-Egan
5. Castlewood

Gayville-Volin, Philip, and Lemmon are not too far from 5th also. Eureka, Parker, Irene, New Underwood, Scotland, Hanson, Platte, and Newell round out the rest of the playoff makers. According to my figures Kadoka and Newell have a tie breaker for last play off spot and Newell wins out for a long distance butt kicking at Hanson. 5 teams under .500 make it to playoffs and according to my figures they all will only have 2 wins a piece.

9B
1. Corsica
2. Langford
3. Harding County
4. Colome
5. Hamlin

Wall, Faulkton, and ORR are not too far behind. Leola, Bison, Howard, Alcester, Dell STM, Northwestern, Faith and Burke/SC round out the playoff hopefuls. 5 teams under .500 make it to playoffs in this division also.

Here are some hinge games. The most important I found is the Menno vs Viborg Game. A win or loss by either team could change the landscape of powerpoints for a lot of different teams. All of my figuring is based off of a Viborg win. Other big games are Canistota vs Bon Homme, Philip vs Stanley County, Potter vs Sully Buttes, and Castlewood vs Arlington. A win or loss by any of these could shake up the playoff landscape.

Good luck to all teams in the playoffs and I will be watching.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 11:28 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

After spying on the new classifications for 17-18 seasons I will throw out my very early top 5 per class. Come closer to the start of the season I will see if I change my mind any and elaborate on my choices.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Wolsey-Wessington
3. Bon Homme
4. Kimball/White Lake
5. Hamlin

9A
1. Corsica-Stickney
2. Canistota/Freeman
3. Britton/Hecla
4. Howard
5. Warner

9B
1. Colome
2. Colman-Egan
3. Langford Area
4. Sully Buttes
5. Faulkton Area

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 12:33 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

old moose wrote:
After spying on the new classifications for 17-18 seasons I will throw out my very early top 5 per class. Come closer to the start of the season I will see if I change my mind any and elaborate on my choices.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Wolsey-Wessington
3. Bon Homme
4. Kimball/White Lake
5. Hamlin

9A
1. Corsica-Stickney
2. Canistota/Freeman
3. Britton/Hecla
4. Howard
5. Warner

9B
1. Colome
2. Colman-Egan
3. Langford Area
4. Sully Buttes
5. Faulkton Area

According to your rankings in the 9AA the top four teams will all play each other in the regular season and are also in the same conference. I have no idea on this years Parkston team but, I would think they would be in the mix as well. 9AA top five teams could all be from the same conference. Should be some exciting football in 9AA.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 4:00 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Parkston has the athletes and it will all depend on how they transition. They were not considered here because it is their first year in 9-man. North Border is another team the jury is out on for me. If I counted correctly they should have 16 seniors and 10 Juniors on their team next year if all go out from this years 2 teams. They should be a pretty decent team with depth, thats if the coaching can put it together. Still do not see the fairness in how SDHSAA allows coops like this happen and put them in 9man not 11. The satellite loophole needs to close. In 9AA Miller, Baltic, Garretson, Deuel, and Webster should all have decent teams next year also. Of course there is always a surprise or 2.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Here we are just 5 days away from the first 9-man games of the year. All the hype and I am just juiced for it to get started. The new heat rules I think will have an effect on some of these first games as some of the teams just will not have enough time to prepare as they were used to. It will effect more of the .500 teams than the really good or bad ones in my opinion. The good programs prepare year round, the others that mostly leave football to football season will suffer.
After going thru my very early top 5 I do not see many changes I will have to make per class but I will redo just for entertainment purposes. I will update every couple of weeks or so.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Wolsey/Wessington
3. Bon Homme
4. Kimball/White lake
5. Hamlin

The bottom 3 right now could be juggled around but I am pretty set on the top 2. Parkston I am just not comfortable with rating them for I just do not see them being a top 5 team right now. If they would happen to win one of the first 3 Games then we might talk. North Border roster seemed to slim down some after the merger, but I would half to see how their first half of their schedule goes before I make any adjustments. Webster, Miller/HH, Deuel, and Garretson round out the rest that could make noise. Hopefully there is a surprise or 2.

9A
1. Canistota/Freeman
2. Britton/Hecla
3. Howard
4. Corsica-Stickney
5. Warner

The top 3 in any order then the bottom 2 in any order. Clark/Willow Lake, Potter County, Platte-Geddes, Herreid/Selby ,and Hanson, any one of these could make a move toward the top this year. P-G has one of the toughest 9 man schedules in the state but if they could muster a 4-4 record it would be very deceiving come play off time. Region 4 I just do not have much faith in yet but I am hoping there will be at least one team from out there that will be "bringing it" at the end of the year.

9B
1. Colome
2. Colman-Egan
3. Langford Area
4. Faulkton Area
5. Sully Buttes

Top 2 could switch around and the bottom three in any which way. Colman lost 3 starters that will be difficult to replace and I do not know if the Groos Bros will be enough to carry them in the big games. Colome has couple skill players back and some nice lineman, but we will see how the new coach sets in. Harding County, Scotland, and Castlewood should all improve and might crack the top 5. Harding County lost darn near everyone from last year and will be extremely young. Come end of the year they will be tough barring no injuries.

Safe Travels to all going to these first games and GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by old moose on August 14th, 2017, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2017, 9:05 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm gonna make a prediction and say that Timber Lake is the dark horse of 9a region 4. I don't know much about this team but by looking at their roster they have the potential to possess a punishing run game. They have a big O-Line and two huge backs in Tucker Kraft (6-4 220) and Cole Mettler (6-1 220). If everyone stays healthy they should be an interesting team to watch.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2017, 6:28 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

We are 3 game weeks into the year and the dust is starting to settle. There has been some surprises and the new top 5 per class will look somewhat different in my view as some teams have step it up while others have dropped off. It is always hard to guess who is up and down year to year especially in High School. Always fun to try to out guess it but that is why they play the games.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Bon Homme
3. Hamlin
4. Miller/HH
5. Irene/Wakonda

Gregory is the heavy weight in this class. Parkston give them a scare in the first 8 min, but thanks to the lighting delay Gregory come back the next day and took care of business. No lighting delay and who knows how that game would have ended. Bon Homme is squeaking out wins and should be Battle tested when they meet Gregory on sept 22nd. Hamlin handled a young Webster team and look to be the best in the North. Miller had a tough loss to Bon Homme but should bounce back. The number 5 slot could have several different teams. Irene/wakonda, North Border, and Parkston were all considered.

9A
1. Howard
2. Corsica/Stickney
3. Canistota/Freeman
4. Warner
5. Britton/Hecla

In my opinion all 5 of these teams could beat one another on any given night. Right now Howard has a slight advantage for clipping a couple of pretty decent teams. As we get toward the end of the season we will see who steps it up. Hanson, Clark/Willow Lake, and Timber Lake look to be the next best. We will know more on how good Timber Lake is as they battle Harding County this coming Friday.

9B
1. Colome
2. Colman-Egan
3. Sully Buttes
4. Castlewood
5. Harding County

Colome and Colman are just the best of this class. Both of these teams stiffest tests will come within the last 3 weeks of the season. Sully Buttes has a potent remaining schedule and should be tough out come end of the season. Castlewood toughest games are also at the end of the season and could cause a shake up. Harding County always salty no matter what year and if they get by Timber Lake on Friday should run the table and have home field advantage come playoffs. Faulkton, Wall, and Scotland round out the next best.

Good Luck to all the teams and be safe during the up coming Homecoming weeks.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 10:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Bon Homme
3. Miller/Highmore
4. Hamlin
5. Parkson

I/W hasn't played anyone yet so hard to see how good they really are. They alway usually start out hot. North Border is a team that could get some attention. KWL might be playing one of the toughest schedules I have personally ever seen. Gregory is favorite in this class but wouldn't surprise me to see them get upset by Bon Homme or Miller at sometime.

9A
1. Howard
2. Canasta/Freeman
3. Clark/ Willow Lake
4. Warner
5 Corsica-Stickney

Britten-Hecla I think could make a consideration for top 5 also with lone loss to a good Hamlin team. This class is pretty wide open.

9B
1.Colome
2.Colman-Egan
3. Sully Buttes
4. Harding County
5. Faulton Area

After top 3 in this class there is a big drop off. Not sure on how good the out west schools really are. Castlewood, Langford and Kadoka Area are teams that could be put in at number 5.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2017, 1:05 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Its hard to believe there is only 3 weeks left of regular season for the 9 man teams. The mid season shake is producing some surprises and some main stays holding strong. There are some good games coming in the last three weeks that will change some of the teams standings to where they will end up come playoff time. It will be an exciting last three weeks.

9AA
1. Gregory 5-0
2. Bon Homme 5-1
3. Miller/Highmore-Harrold 4-1
4. Hamlin 5-0
5. North Border Or Arlington/LP both 5-0

I am pretty set on the top 4. Hamlin should win out, Bon Homme has a tough one with Warner next week, and Gregory/MillerHH game on the 13th should be a dandy. I am put out a little on the 5th place spot I think it could go to North Border, Parkston, Arlington, Garretson, Baltic, or Irene/Wakonda. There are so many decent mid-level teams that it would not surprise me to see an upset or two along the way. Arlington and North Border have yet to see their toughest opponents yet and will be tested come end of the year.

9A
1. Corsica-Stickney 5-0
2. Britton-Hecla 4-1
3. Howard 5-1
4. Canistota/Freeman 4-1
5. Warner 5-1

This top 5 is a cut above the rest of this class. Britton and Howard should win out Canistota still has tough contests with Baltic and Garretson. They could easily lose one or both of those. If they stay healthy they should win both. Corsica has date with Colome on Oct. 6th., I do not think there will be an undefeated team in this class this year. Warner faces North Border and Bon Homme yet and they very well could end their at season 5-3. Clark-Willow lake is not far behind but will most likely end up 5-3 also.

9B

1. Colome 5-0
2. Sully Buttes 5-0
3. Colman-Egan 5-0
4. Faulkton Area 4-2
5. Wall 5-0 and Harding County 6-0

Colome in my opinion is the just a little better in this class. They have a heavy weight bout with Corsica-Stickney on the 6th and it should be a good one. Sully Buttes is looking real tough and they have 2 tough games left with North Border and Faulkton and should prevail on both. Not Completely sold on Colman any more. Their schedule has not been real tough and will finally get tested with their last 2 games with Castlewood and Arlington. Faulkton is a dangerous team, they have hung close with both teams that have beat them. They will give S.B a run for their money the last game on the year. Wall and Harding County are the best of west and both will be undefeated come end of the year. I think both of these teams are a step below the top 4.

Hopefully here in a couple of weeks I can give the final 5 with the playoff groups rounded out. There will be so many good games at the end of the regular it will be difficult to get a clear picture. Good luck to everyone and safe travels.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 1:39 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Here we are coming into the final week of the regular season and there has been some good games these last couple of weeks. This last week there are a lot of big games left that could go either way that could effect playoff positioning. I think I got all of the playoff teams figured unless there is some major upsets. So here we go, hopefully I can get the final four in my top 5.

9AA
1. Gregory
2. Hamlin
3. Bon Homme
4. Miller/HH
5. Irene/Wakonda or Baltic

Everything I have figured is all speculation and there are several big games this Friday that could change everything I figured. Gregory/Miller, Irene/Baltic, Garretson/Canistota, and North Border/Warner are all huge games. Win or loss by any of these could change the way the playoff reseed will be set. Gregory and Hamlin are the top of this class and should go deep in the playoffs. Bon Homme, Irene, Baltic, North Border and Miller are just a step down from the top 2. Wolsey, Kimball/WL, Parkston, Webster, Garretson, Arlington, Deuel, Elkton/LB, and Rapid City Christian should round out the rest of the playoff cast. I am still in the belief this is the toughest class with the best teams. But the separation between all of the classes are a lot closer this year than they have been in quite some time. The top 3 or 4 in each class could compete with each other on any Friday Night.

9A
1. Corsica
2. Britton
3. Warner
4. Howard
5. Clark/Willow

This class is all over the place. From what I have scratched out there will be 2 of the teams above that will not see the final 4. For one example Win or lose on friday in any scenario Clark/Willow, Britton or Warner will play one or the other first round of the playoffs and one of those teams will not see the final eight. Corsica looks to be the heavy weight but I think they are pretty even with Britton and Warner. Howard, Clark, Canistota, and Avon are not too far behind. Potter County, Herried/Selby, Alcester/Hudson, Chester, Hanson, De Smit, Lyman, Timber Lake, and New Underwood should be the rest of playoff hopefuls. The Lemmon/McIntosh vs Herried/Selby game is a big one. The winner will be in the playoffs and the other will stay home. I am giving Herried the advantage.

9B
1. Sully Buttes
2. Colman-Egan
3. Colome
4. Castlewood
5. Faulkton Area

4 undefeated teams in this class is a lot of big dogs, but as you see I really think Wall and Harding County have really soft schedules and any one of the top 5 would handle them. The advantage both of these 2 teams have is that they will have home field advantage for at least 2 games during the playoffs. Harding County is as tough as they come, with any team they produce, on their home field. Sully Buttes Is really on their game right now and look to be unstoppable in this class. Colman had an impressive win last week and is not too far behind. Colome needs to get their game back on track or they will check out before the dome. The last 2 weeks with slow starts have put them in poor position in those games and gave their opponents confidence. Castlewood, Faulkton, Wall, And Harding County are just a step or 2 below the top 3. Scotland, Langford, Burke/SC, Northwestern, Hitchcock/Tulare, Kadoka, Waverly/South Shore, Bison, and Sunshine Bible should round out the rest.

Good luck to everyone and safe travels!!

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 11 posts ]