All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 9:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Who does everyone have for top teams and individual players?

My top 5 teams:
1. Tea Area
2. Sioux Falls Christian
3. Madison
4. Sioux Valley
5. Dell Rapids

My top 10 players:
1. AJ Plitzuweit (Vermillion)
2. Dylan LeBrun (Flandreau)
3. Aaron Fiegen (Madison)
4. Noah Fiedel (Tea Area)
5. Trevor Hansen (Sioux Valley)
6. Trevor Olson (Sioux Valley)
7. Koln Oppold (Sioux Falls Christian)
8. Gus Reede (Aberdeen Roncalli)
9. Jeffery Schuch (Dell Rapids)
10. Camden Bialas (Parker) ??

Can someone help clarify: did Parker move up to Class A?

Just a couple months until high school basketball starts up again. :D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 10:11 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Parker is Class A (Region 5) along with McCook Central / Montrose, Parkston, Platte-Geddes, Wagner, Bon Homme and Mt Vernon / Plankinton. The adopted alignment maps can be found at the following link: http://www.sdhsaa.com/Athletics/Classif ... tMaps.aspx

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 11:15 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Raging Peasants wrote:
Parker is Class A (Region 5) along with McCook Central / Montrose, Parkston, Platte-Geddes, Wagner, Bon Homme and Mt Vernon / Plankinton. The adopted alignment maps can be found at the following link: http://www.sdhsaa.com/Athletics/Classif ... tMaps.aspx

Many thanks! That now solidifies my top ten player list.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 1:51 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

MyloMan wrote:

My top 5 teams:
1. Tea Area
2. Sioux Falls Christian
3. Madison
4. Sioux Valley
5. Dell Rapids

My top 10 players:

Well I'll probably catch some flack for this one but was wondering if I'd see anyone mention the Madison Bulldogs Janke twins in this list? I'm a big dogs fan so probably a little wishful thinking on my part and after seeing this list of 10 I guess they do fall short of these guys,, lots of talent here. however I'm thinking that they won't be too far out of this list lets say in the 15 list?? I don't think we have seen anywhere near what these kids can do on the court just yet, anyone that watched the second half of last yrs. championship game last yr. knows what I mean. SDSU has been after them to sign for football now for quite some time, in their hearts I'm pretty sure they would maybe rather play basketball in college somewhere.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2017, 2:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

novagirl wrote:
MyloMan wrote:

My top 5 teams:
1. Tea Area
2. Sioux Falls Christian
3. Madison
4. Sioux Valley
5. Dell Rapids

My top 10 players:

Well I'll probably catch some flack for this one but was wondering if I'd see anyone mention the Madison Bulldogs Janke twins in this list? I'm a big dogs fan so probably a little wishful thinking on my part and after seeing this list of 10 I guess they do fall short of these guys,, lots of talent here. however I'm thinking that they won't be too far out of this list lets say in the 15 list?? I don't think we have seen anywhere near what these kids can do on the court just yet, anyone that watched the second half of last yrs. championship game last yr. knows what I mean. SDSU has been after them to sign for football now for quite some time, in their hearts I'm pretty sure they would maybe rather play basketball in college somewhere.

I don't think you're being unreasonable by saying they could make this list; they'd surely crack my top 15 list. As you said, maybe we haven't seen their skills on full display yet? The depth on last year's team is part of the reason, but also the way the team plays and is coached. Fiegen, the Janke twins, and Giles will be a solid senior core, and Madison's underclassmen have traditionally always stepped up.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2017, 9:56 am 
Rookie
Rookie

novagirl wrote:
I don't think we have seen anywhere near what these kids can do on the court just yet, anyone that watched the second half of last yrs. championship game last yr. knows what I mean. SDSU has been after them to sign for football now for quite some time, in their hearts I'm pretty sure they would maybe rather play basketball in college somewhere.

It would be a shame if Jaxon and Jadon didn't play football in college. I hope they improve in basketball as much from their junior to senior year as they did from sophomore to junior. If they do, perhaps they could play both sports in college - tough but others have done it - perhaps at Dakota State.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 5:29 am 
Captain
Captain

Red Cloud with Russell Leader Charge and Alejandro Rama and Pine Ridge with Corey Brown and Joe O'Rourke from out west. St Thomas More usually reloads without too much drop off but they had a senior dominated team last year and a thin bench. Anybody know if the Blue Cavaliers have anything coming back??

PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 7:49 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

A very good list of players. Most will have their hands on the ball every possession and make 18-20 points on 30 shots. They will score mounds of points on weak teams sometimes running up the score and staying in the game until late.

But few will really commit to defense like Mike Ricky asks his top players to do. Like when Mason Leighton shut down Tayt Vincent every time they met. Or Marcus Vandenbosh stopped a very good Jacob Hinker (Lennox) from going wild on Madison. Even on our own team when Trea Vandeberg won the Class A player of the year, we all knew Jacob Giles was our MVP because he always played lock-down defense and had 12-15 points of offense. That's how that team went 26-0. And that's why the best team in class A basketball over the last decade has been Madison.

So, Jaxon and Jadon Janke will be asked to defend--hard. That probably won't land them on first team class A all-state despite the fact that they too could be scoring 20 a night. But it may get them into another deep run in the state play-offs.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2017, 5:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Gideon wrote:
A very good list of players. Most will have their hands on the ball every possession and make 18-20 points on 30 shots. They will score mounds of points on weak teams sometimes running up the score and staying in the game until late.

But few will really commit to defense like Mike Ricky asks his top players to do. Like when Mason Leighton shut down Tayt Vincent every time they met. Or Marcus Vandenbosh stopped a very good Jacob Hinker (Lennox) from going wild on Madison. Even on our own team when Trea Vandeberg won the Class A player of the year, we all knew Jacob Giles was our MVP because he always played lock-down defense and had 12-15 points of offense. That's how that team went 26-0. And that's why the best team in class A basketball over the last decade has been Madison.

So, Jaxon and Jadon Janke will be asked to defend--hard. That probably won't land them on first team class A all-state despite the fact that they too could be scoring 20 a night. But it may get them into another deep run in the state play-offs.

Very true. Madison has always had some stand out defenders - definitely a product of what is emphasized in practice! Another thing they have always had is incredible depth and teamwork, especially in their undefeated season. But - will Madison have the depth this year? And what I'm really curious to see, is will they have the teamwork? They've got a lot of talent, but good talent doesn't beat teamwork. But back to defense - there were games last season when VandenBosh had foul trouble and other defenders (Leighton, Jankes, Fiegan, Giles) stepped up as well. In the region game, Fiegan took LeBrun out of the game because of his defense. And in the Sioux Valley game Leighton limited Vincent's production. I'm interested to see how it plays out for this year's team.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2017, 10:15 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Great list. Would definitely put Fiegen at number 2 ahead of Lebrun. Watched their head to head matchup last season and Fiegen scored about 30 and shut Lebrun down. AJ can ball!

MyloMan wrote:

My top 5 teams:
1. Tea Area
2. Sioux Falls Christian
3. Madison
4. Sioux Valley
5. Dell Rapids

My top 10 players:

PostPosted: October 18th, 2017, 8:41 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I'll take Noah Freidel #1.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 11:33 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I want to know why you think Aaron Fiegen isn't the best player in South Dakota right now. He has the best inside play I've ever seen in 30 years. He'll exceed expectations this year. He hasn't even touched the surface of what he can do with Leighton and others gone after last season.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 12:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

DakotaBadger wrote:
I want to know why you think Aaron Fiegen isn't the best player in South Dakota right now. He has the best inside play I've ever seen in 30 years. He'll exceed expectations this year. He hasn't even touched the surface of what he can do with Leighton and others gone after last season.

What makes Fiegen a great player is his versatility and his unselfishness. Only mentioning his inside play is disregarding the many aspects of his game (more than just offense, too).

PostPosted: November 13th, 2017, 7:03 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

DakotaBadger wrote:

You obviously haven't watched much basketball in the last 30 years to make a statement like that. Although when your only 16 or 17 it's kind of hard to watch basketball from 30 years ago.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 10:59 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I think you need to take a vacation from this site in all honesty. You taking a shot at me, assuming my age, was uncalled for. Basketball has been a big part of my life for years and I know game when I see it. Fiegen has major game.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 12:11 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

DakotaBadger wrote:
I think you need to take a vacation from this site in all honesty. You taking a shot at me, assuming my age, was uncalled for. Basketball has been a big part of my life for years and I know game when I see it. Fiegen has major game.

Major game is one thing - I agree with that. "The best inside play I've ever seen in 30 years" is saying A LOT!

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 12:33 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Major game is a matter of opinion, which you have every right to. A thirty year award for player's impact before that season even starts is probably an unjustifiable award. I don't know if you can be the judge and jury for that attitude. There are too many people that have as much love, expertise, and experience with the sport as you do for that to happen.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 1:38 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

DoomsdayDefense wrote:
DakotaBadger wrote:

You obviously haven't watched much basketball in the last 30 years to make a statement like that. Although when your only 16 or 17 it's kind of hard to watch basketball from 30 years ago.

It’s funny that the poster making accusations that another poster is 16 or 17 years old doesn’t know the difference of your and you’re!!! :lol:

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 4:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

hoopsguy86 wrote:
DoomsdayDefense wrote:
DakotaBadger wrote:

It’s funny that the poster making accusations that another poster is 16 or 17 years old doesn’t know the difference of your and you’re!!! :lol:

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 4:19 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

DakotaBadger wrote:

Well, I likely don't have the breadth of knowledge of the history of South Dakota High School post play as you evidently do, but I'll gladly tell you my reasoning. In watching Aaron Fiegen over the last two years I've seen him disappear in too many games for too long of stretches, especially if you are talking about playing in the post. That could very well be that he's following the system they run. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player with great potential in the future, but I don't think it's outrageous to say he's not the obvious #1 player in South Dakota this year.

If you are asking me to rank players, like this thread did, I'll take Noah Freidel because I think he's got the most complete game. As a scorer, he's a nightmare to defend because he's either bigger than a smaller defender, or too quick for a bigger defender. Go back and watch the first half of Tea's opening State Tourney game against STM and tell me that there's anyone you will watch this year that can take over a game like he did. Few players I've seen (I won't pretend to say for the past 25 years) are able to dominate a game even when they aren't scoring, but every time I've been able to watch Frediel play that's what he's done. If he's not scoring, he's getting others great looks and causing havoc on defense.

I personally think when you are trying to rank or decide which player you'd want over another, you also have to take into consideration intangibles like willingness to take a big shot or rise up when the games get close. Again, after watching Freidel the times I have over the last few years (school and summer ball) he seems to love those moments. The State Tournament last year is the best example of that.

So, while Aaron Fiegen is a great player with a great future at SDSU, and there are many other great players going right now, I hope I've adequately explained why I think Noah Freidel is the best player we have in South Dakota right now.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next