Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Canton/SFC
PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 9:18 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I read there was some controversy at the end of this game? Anyone actually there who can share other than the FARGUS? Not sure what they were implying :). I will be interested to see what Groton can do at SFC.

Also read a question on regulation goal post size for high school football since I believe SFC uses the USF field for games. Are high school posts supposed to be wider than college? If so, it can't be the only place where that would happen. Does the dome mess with USD posts for the state championships, etc?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Canton/SFC
PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 9:48 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

In 1959, the NCAA goalposts were widened to 23 feet 4 inches (7.11 m), the standard width for high school posts today. In 1991, the college goalposts were reduced in width to 18 ft 6 in (5.64 m), matching the NFL.

"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 10:21 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I wasn't at the game but was texting with someone who was there.
I know that the C-Hawk coaches were not happy at the end of the game but I don't know the reason why.
The kicker for Canton has been kicking extra points since he was in pee wee football and is a great kicker.
I believe he has been kicking in varsity games since he was in 7th grade.
For him to miss extra points and 3 field goals would be extremely unusual, especially off of artificial turf.
The game should have never made it to overtime if any of those kicks goes through.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 10:27 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I know that some stadiums have adjustable goal posts so that the widths can be adjusted. I haven't been to USF stadium so I don't know whether it was equipped with those. But, considering it is a relatively new stadium and they intended to host high school play (I believe SFC has played there from the start), you would think the goal posts could be adjusted.

I haven't heard of any controversy with respect to that game, but given it was an OT game, it had to be exciting for Canton especially.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 11:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

SD Sports NE wrote:
I read there was some controversy at the end of this game? Anyone actually there who can share other than the FARGUS? Not sure what they were implying :). I will be interested to see what Groton can do at SFC.

Also read a question on regulation goal post size for high school football since I believe SFC uses the USF field for games. Are high school posts supposed to be wider than college? If so, it can't be the only place where that would happen. Does the dome mess with USD posts for the state championships, etc?

I'd assume SFC will win that game rather handily. Groton beating Bennett County as bad as they did tells me Bennett County is really bad. They had no business being in the playoffs. sure they did whatever they had to do out wherever they play but so what. The same with Red Cloud. For them to be in the quarterfinals is laughable. WWSSC will be watching a lot of tape on SFC.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2017, 3:28 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I think I've got a solution. Just make all goal posts the same dimension. That way a high school kicker knows what it takes to kick at college level and so on. Who would've thought that it was a good idea to make them different dimensions?

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 9:37 am 
Walk On
Walk On

I believe the "controversy" was on the last play for sfc. It was 4th and goal there was a bad center qb exchange I would love to see the replay because the view I watched on the web looked clear that the qb had his knees on the ground with the ball behind the goal line when he recovered it and then dove into the end zone. I have no dog in the fight but with the missed fg it was not a guaranteed win for canton just another overtime.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]