Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: State predictions 2017
PostPosted: November 7th, 2017, 11:23 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Some interesting and not so interesting sweet 16 games. Dak 12 and Big East Conference well represented...here are my thoughts, have seen many of these teams play this year

A-Favorite has to be SFC. Dakota Valley may give them fits, I've thought all along it was a race for third, but who knows. Maybe Parker or Madison can give someone a run.
B-Favorite has to be Northwestern. Defending champs and one loss to Parker. Warner or Chester could possibly give them fits but looks like a race for second in this class again this year as has been the last several years.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 3:20 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Madison has a history of breaking Sioux Falls Christian's hearts come tournament time. They'll meet in the semis again if Madison can beat Miller. I don't have big hopes for an upset this year. Would love to see Parker knock of Dakota Valley!

What towns are in the Northwestern school district?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 3:21 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

TennesseeHusker wrote:
Madison has a history of breaking Sioux Falls Christian's hearts come tournament time. They'll meet in the semis again if Madison can beat Miller. I don't have big hopes for an upset this year. Would love to see Parker knock of Dakota Valley!

What towns are in the Northwestern school district?

Northville, Mellette, Brentford, Chelsea, Cresbard (some), Conde (some), Ashton, Athol

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 4:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Cresbard and Conde are the only two that are familiar. Mellette maybe. I see they're in Spink County. Tulare and Turton are towns up there that I've heard of. Went to college with kids from there. Looks like they could have chosen to become part of Redfield-Doland. In checking this out I found out an astonishing (to me anyway) fact. The population of Spink County in 1890 was 4000 more than it is today. And 9000 lower than in 1910. Sad to see the small towns in SD drying up.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 6:46 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

TennesseeHusker wrote:
Cresbard and Conde are the only two that are familiar. Mellette maybe. I see they're in Spink County. Tulare and Turton are towns up there that I've heard of. Went to college with kids from there. Looks like they could have chosen to become part of Redfield-Doland. In checking this out I found out an astonishing (to me anyway) fact. The population of Spink County in 1890 was 4000 more than it is today. And 9000 lower than in 1910. Sad to see the small towns in SD drying up.

Turton, I believe is part of the Doland school district. Doland and Redfield are separate districts but co-op their sports programs. Tulare is a consolidated district with Hitchcock. Have been for several years. Lots of consolidations have taken place over the years. Have had to because of numbers. Maybe you know this already, Husker. Just thought I'd throw it out to 'ya.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Waterboy wrote:
TennesseeHusker wrote:

Turton, I believe is part of the Doland school district. Doland and Redfield are separate districts but co-op their sports programs. Tulare is a consolidated district with Hitchcock. Have been for several years. Lots of consolidations have taken place over the years. Have had to because of numbers. Maybe you know this already, Husker. Just thought I'd throw it out to 'ya.

Lots of B schools on the edge, Northwestern ADM is down in 50,s now but it has been happening forever, Rudolph had a school Bath too etc. Funny thing if Northwestern gets too small the coop is coming and their closest school is Warner!!!! Don't think anyone wants to play that team! Can you imagine how good their JV team would be :D

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Of all three divisions there are only four west river teams playing in the tournament. In AA five of the eight teams are ESD teams. Appears ESD still reins in volleyball. In any event, SDHSAA needs to reevaluate where they are holding these tournaments. Rapid shouldn't be allowed to hold these tournaments until west river schools can prove to be competitive. Seems like a lot of wasted dollars for the majority of the school districts that have to travel so far.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 11:18 am 
Walk On
Walk On

To get back to the original topic, I will take Dakota Valley over SFC for the championship. It should be a good matchup.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 12:33 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Warner
Northwestern
Herreid selby
Chester
Hanson
Deubrook
Burke south central
Faith

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 12:35 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

SFC
Dakota valley
Sioux valley
Madison
Parker
Miller
McM
Belle Fourche

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 8:22 am 
Walk On
Walk On

B:
NW
Warner
Chester
Hanson
Deubrook
Herreid Selby
Burke/SC
Faith

A:
SFC
Dakota Valley
Madison
Sioux Valley
Parker
MCM
Belle
Miller

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 11:42 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Having all three classes in one venue allows one to watch all three classes and compare the volleyball between the classes. It is clear to me after watching the first day the quality of volleyball in AA is hands above the the other classes. Yet, most on this site talk about the lower classes like that is the top level of play. Just interesting.

In any event, Norhwestern and Warner are no doubt favorites in B. Chester is good but didn't play to the level of NW or Warner on day 1. Dakota Valley is a good team and likely to go all the way in A. I expected more out of SF Christian; they dropped a set to the #8 team, still good but they need to step it up if they want to beat DV. In AA, SF Washington upsets a powerful Mitchell squad and Watertown completely dismantled Aberdeen Central. Harrisburg has to remain the favorite but the young squads of Washington and Watertown are really, really good.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 7:21 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

A few thoughts from the A & B. Lots of talk about the format of all three in one location, I didn't mind it was fun to see players from other towns, etc. Although things will run late as seen today and other years this is done.

As for the 'B', no real huge surprises. NW and Warner in the finals with NW winning in a fun match. Look for Chester to be a force next year with their youth. NW and Chester should be the top in the class once again.

In the 'A', the finals lived up to the expectation, two senior dominated teams going at it, fun to watch! Could have went either way. MCM was playing really good ball going in and took fifth, thought that was great to see. My Pheasants laid an egg, not sure if their youth got the best of them of what happened exactly. They will lose just two seniors that played substantial minutes, and return five starters, rest of the field was senior heavy-Miller may be a team to watch with their sophomore hitter. Im sure SFC will reload and be ready for next season as well.

All in all a fun tournament lots of four or five set matches which makes it even more enjoyable, Id say the sweet 16 was a success!
Congrats to all teams, on their success and the champions!

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ]