Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vermillion-Madison
PostPosted: February 12th, 2018, 7:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Beer is cracked and the webcast is on. Really looking forward to this matchup tonight. Have only seen AJ play twice this year and have seen Madison play a number of times. I am guessing one of the freak athlete Janke twins will guard AJ, which is an intriguing matchup being that the Janke twins are probably the best pure athletes I have seen in the state this year. If they can't guard him, then I don't think anyone can. Madison is traditionally a solid defensive team, looking forward to seeing how they fare against the best scorer of the basketball in SD. I really hope this young man and his teammates can find a way into the state tournament. Tonight will tell a tale at where they stand.

Vermillion has literally no one capable of guarding Fiegen, but will Madison stick to their usual ways and avoid feeding their big man, cranking bad shots, moaning at officials, and relying on athleticism? This one will be closer than one may think. Grab a beer and tune into this webcast (unless you'd rather drink diet coke and watch figure skating).

Madison 64
Vermillion 60 (AJ scores 34)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

Post subject: Re: Vermillion-Madison
PostPosted: February 12th, 2018, 9:10 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Madison 86
Vermillion 70

AJ fouled out with Vermillion down 10 with 4:00 of tick left. They were on a comeback and I was so pissed when he was DQ'ed. Vermillion plays hard just doesn't have much help. Fiegen started guarding him and then Janke twins took turns. I think he ended up with about 30.
Madison has really impressed me lately. This was definitely a game they were expected to win, but they seem to be playing well. ANOTHER technical foul by one of the dynamic duo tonight. I believe that runs the tally to 6 on the year (could be more, but my dose has provided 6)....
No one should want to play this Madison team. Playing well right now.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 12:34 am 
Walk On
Walk On

hoopsguy86 wrote:
Madison 64
Vermillion 60 (AJ scores 34)

Interestingly enough, Twitter says he ended up with 34 and 7 boards when he fouled out. Good call.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 10:32 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Madison's offense last night was the best I have seen all year long. The Bulldogs really looked to pound the ball inside, and didn't take any bad shots, including three's. They really used their size and athletes to their advantage in the post and played a nice inside-out game. They looked really sharp against a very solid defensive team in Vermilion.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 10:58 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Madison is looking great at the moment. Fiegen started off on AJ and looked good until he fouled out, Vermillion didn't play very much defense throughout the stretch of the game. AJ dropped 34 but took far too many shots, needs some help from the teammates. Not gonna get too far with a one man show down in Verm. Madison is quite energized after that huge win against undefeated Western Christian Iowa and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 11:10 am 
Walk On
Walk On

DAKOTAJAYHAWK wrote:
Madison is looking great at the moment. Fiegen started off on AJ and looked good until he fouled out, Vermillion didn't play very much defense throughout the stretch of the game. AJ dropped 34 but took far too many shots, needs some help from the teammates. Not gonna get too far with a one man show down in Verm. Madison is quite energized after that huge win against undefeated Western Christian Iowa and I don't see them slowing down anytime soon.

I have only seen Vermillion play twice this year so take this for what it's worth. AJ taking far too many shots is not possible for this Vermillion team. When I watched them play, their offense was virtually non-existent if he wasn't making plays. I am hoping they find a way into the state tournament as I would love to see AJ play a couple more times.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 11:22 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

I've been on a break from this site because of the overload of posts unrelated to high school sports. We had an overhaul of Russian spies involved in the site, just like the ones from the 2016 election - lol. I'm glad to see they're gone...for now.

I joined the video stream to watch this game. My pre-season prediction of AJ being the best player in the class (and state) was proven last night against a defensive-minded team like the Dogs. He is so fun to watch! He is going to be a beast at Augustana. Congrats to the Vikings to signing a D1 worthy player. The game was getting interesting in the fourth quarter, but it was over as soon as he picked up his fifth foul.

The Dogs showed some superb moments of what it is like to be the first or second best team in the state. AJ's points might not attest to this claim, but their defense last night was, at times, incredible. That effort matched with the numbers they can put up on offense will allow them to beat Sioux Falls Christian next month. It's up to them to perform to that level when they need to. They're always flirting with the self destruct button, though.

The Dogs can win state this year. I cannot wait for March.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 5:10 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Jimmy John wrote:
I have only seen Vermillion play twice this year so take this for what it's worth. AJ taking far too many shots is not possible for this Vermillion team. When I watched them play, their offense was virtually non-existent if he wasn't making plays. I am hoping they find a way into the state tournament as I would love to see AJ play a couple more times.

I expressed similar sentiments over in the AJ Plitzuweit thread someone started a few weeks ago, so I won't repeat myself here, but the part I bolded/underlined basically summarizes my thoughts on things.

That being said, I'm really, really excited to see what AJ can do when he is on an Augie squad that features guys like Dylan LeBrun, Trevor Hanson, Matt Cartwright (current Augie freshman), Tayt Vincent (current Augie redshirt freshman), and some other really strong players that are coming in this next year from Minnesota. Watching him thread the needle to LeBrun for a dunk instead of it turning into a pass that bounces off his teammate's hands and flies out of bounds is going to be a treat. And I get the impression Plitzuweit is the kind of kid who will be perfectly happy to see his shot numbers decrease if it means making great plays and getting wins.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 8:14 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

AJ doesn't take too many shots. Anyone who thinks that underestimates his offensive ability and/or is clueless. I hope to see him in the state tournament.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 8:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

MyloMan wrote:
AJ doesn't take too many shots. Anyone who thinks that underestimates his offensive ability and/or is clueless. I hope to see him in the state tournament.

If one thinks AJ shoots too much, there’s really only two explanations:
1) someone who looks at a box score without actually watching a game live
2) someone who’s an idiot

Don’t be the idiot.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 1:11 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

I know that Vermilion's offense practically is non existent when AJ is not shooting the ball, and I may have not used the correct wording, I meant that he shoots the ball more than the average player. In this case, its a good thing because its the only thing keeping them in any game. AJ is no doubt a top 3 player in this state, and I'm sorry to anyone who got offended over my previous statement. We'll see if they can squeak their way into the tournament, where we could potentially see AJ take over games and drop 50+

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 2:26 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

When I was a senior I was him. Now I was not nearly as good as he is but I was on a team that had been left bare. I tried to force a lot of shots early in the season and then as frustrations mounted within the team I shared more and tried to give my team mates a chance. After the season was over my coach told me if i would have been more selfish we probably would have won 5-6 more games. Everybody wants wins so for Vermillion to win games I am sure that for AJ taking as many shots and carrying the load is probably conflicting. I just look at it this way if he wasn't doing what he is doing what would their win total be. I am guessing that question answers itself. My advice keep shooting.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]