Previous << 
1, 2, 3
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Girls B Basketball
PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 8:57 am 
Walk On
Walk On

FBParent101 wrote:
The De Smet bandwagon lost some steam this weekend as Hanson beat them soundly in the Palace, 51-32. I still think they're a very good team and will make the Round of 16, but from there it gets iffy. If they can climb their way to at least 12 and get Waubay/Summit, I like their chances of making state. If they stay down at 13/14 and have a Sully Buttes/Warner/Hanson team, I don't see them advancing. De Smet should win their last two games easily, so they'll need a little bit of help from teams around them losing.

The two ways I see DeSmet not making it are a major upset or if Hitchcock/Tulare could get to the 3 seed. I've seen both HT & Desmet play this season and they would match up well. The big IF is whether H/T would show up or not. They have been very unpredictable late in the season. It would be a defensive battle between H/T & Desmet thats for sure.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 9:14 am 
Starter
Starter

sdhoopsimplant wrote:
FBParent101 wrote:
The De Smet bandwagon lost some steam this weekend as Hanson beat them soundly in the Palace, 51-32. I still think they're a very good team and will make the Round of 16, but from there it gets iffy. If they can climb their way to at least 12 and get Waubay/Summit, I like their chances of making state. If they stay down at 13/14 and have a Sully Buttes/Warner/Hanson team, I don't see them advancing. De Smet should win their last two games easily, so they'll need a little bit of help from teams around them losing.

The two ways I see DeSmet not making it are a major upset or if Hitchcock/Tulare could get to the 3 seed. I've seen both HT & Desmet play this season and they would match up well. The big IF is whether H/T would show up or not. They have been very unpredictable late in the season. It would be a defensive battle between H/T & Desmet thats for sure.

Interesting thought. I haven't seen H/T play this year so I have no idea on that. I think it will be pretty tough for them to pass Deubrook though. Even if Deubrook loses to Florence/Henry they still hold a nearly 2 point Power Point lead, which will be pretty tough for H/T to overcome this late in the year.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 9:45 am 
Rookie
Rookie

FBParent101 wrote:

Thought Hanson could beat them but the total butt kicking was a surprise, maybe they should lose both of their last 2 and try their chances with Faith. Hanson not getting and votes must be a typo! :roll: Ethan lost 5 or 6 seniors and about 40 points a night from last year and haven't lost a game since Jan 4, nobody wants to see them in round of 16. Warner is playing really good right now and might run away from everyone, 15 point wins over class A and B #1's, not sure how Sully stayed 1, almost have to vote Faith I would think, schedule isn't murderer's row but until someone beats them how do you not. Polls suck

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 11:43 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

62stack wrote:
FBParent101 wrote:

Thought Hanson could beat them but the total butt kicking was a surprise, maybe they should lose both of their last 2 and try their chances with Faith. Hanson not getting and votes must be a typo! :roll: Ethan lost 5 or 6 seniors and about 40 points a night from last year and haven't lost a game since Jan 4, nobody wants to see them in round of 16. Warner is playing really good right now and might run away from everyone, 15 point wins over class A and B #1's, not sure how Sully stayed 1, almost have to vote Faith I would think, schedule isn't murderer's row but until someone beats them how do you not. Polls suck

How do you not? Because they haven't played anybody, you can use your eyes to see who the best teams are, and how many times have we seen teams from that part of the state with great records fall on their face?

I don't mind Faith being #5, but a top 3 team? Not until they prove it!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 2:11 pm 
Starter
Starter

Before the season, I had Warner and DeSmet as slight favorites. However, I just don't think DeSmet can score consistently for them to win a title, but they play great defense and will be in the mix.

Warner had the most coming back from last years top end heavy tournament, and with Rogers playing like she is, the state tournament a few miles up the road, I like Warner as the favorite from here on out. However, there is a lot of good teams this year, so anything can happen.

Sully Buttes, Hanson, Castlewood, Irene-Wakonda, Avon, T-D/A, W/S, Ethan, and Faith have good teams also. I thought New Underwood would be back but one of their starters from last year tore her knee early, and they don't have the scoring depth they had last year. Faith made the state volleyball tournament, so I know they have some athletes, so they probably aren't as bad as everyone is saying they are. Hanson has good depth across the board. I would never count out Sully Buttes at tournament time. Ethan has been rolling lately. Castlewood might be better than people think. Irene-Wakonda can score the basketball. Avon has two really good players. T-D/A has been on the cusp and are solid. W/S has state tournament experience (Summit that is).

The top end teams the last few years have been very good. Even though there might not be a team of that caliber out there this year, this will be a nice Sweet 16 and State Tournament. There should be plenty of good games next March in Aberdeen. I'm looking forward to it.

"Use all the legends and run them off the floor. That would have won us a title Captain!"

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 2:26 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

sdhoopsimplant wrote:
Latest media poll is out and once again I'm left wondering if these people pay attention to basketball at all.

Class B
1. Sully Buttes (13) 17-1, 105
2. Warner (7) 17-3, 89
3. Faith (4) 19-0, 86
4. Castlewood 15-2, 37
5. Irene-Wakonda 17-2, 15

Recieved Votes: Ethan 7, Avon 7, Waubay/Summit 4, Tripp-Delmont/Armour 3

SB is still at the top despite losing by 15 to Warner not that long ago.

And Hanson doesn't even receive a vote?

Region tournaments are almost here!

You left Hanson off in the receiving votes portion. Hanson is receiving 7 points like Ethan and Avon.

Class B
1. Sully Buttes (13) 17-1 105 1
2. Warner (7) 17-3 89 3
3. Faith (4) 19-0 86 2
4. Castlewood 15-2 37 T-5.
5. Irene-Wakonda 17-2 15 RV
Receiving votes: Ethan 7, Hanson 7, Avon 7, Waubay/Summit 4, Tripp-Delmont/Armour 3.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 2:30 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

hunkpapa wrote:
sdhoopsimplant wrote:
Latest media poll is out and once again I'm left wondering if these people pay attention to basketball at all.

Class B
1. Sully Buttes (13) 17-1, 105
2. Warner (7) 17-3, 89
3. Faith (4) 19-0, 86
4. Castlewood 15-2, 37
5. Irene-Wakonda 17-2, 15

Recieved Votes: Ethan 7, Avon 7, Waubay/Summit 4, Tripp-Delmont/Armour 3

SB is still at the top despite losing by 15 to Warner not that long ago.

And Hanson doesn't even receive a vote?

Region tournaments are almost here!

You left Hanson off in the receiving votes portion. Hanson is receiving 7 points like Ethan and Avon.

Class B
1. Sully Buttes (13) 17-1 105 1
2. Warner (7) 17-3 89 3
3. Faith (4) 19-0 86 2
4. Castlewood 15-2 37 T-5.
5. Irene-Wakonda 17-2 15 RV
Receiving votes: Ethan 7, Hanson 7, Avon 7, Waubay/Summit 4, Tripp-Delmont/Armour 3.

I copied and pasted from SDPB blog (http://www.sdpb.org/blogs/sports-and-le ... ary-12-17/) on the rankings so it must be a typo on their part. At least the pollsters aren't completely nuts! ;)

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 11:48 pm 
Walk On
Walk On

Menno was off to a great start with wins over TDA and Hanson before they lost a starter to a knee injury.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 7:59 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

I agree warner has to be considered the favorite now...
I believe Faith is about 10+ points better than Sully fwiw.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 1:38 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

The shot clock will be a first at big b this year...... I think it will hurt a team like sully the most of they can't protect a slight lead in a big game

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 10:46 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Faith is the real deal!! I know, I know, everybody is rolling their eyes right now and saying that Faith is like all other West River B schools. Great record, but always playing in the 7th/8th place game. I think it is different this year. At worst they are winning the consolation championship and don't be surprised if they are playing in the night bracket on Saturday!!!

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 7:12 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Faith has a good enough team to compete with some of the good teams in B. It’s possible (but not likely imo) they could make the tourney and get 8th also because it should be a fairly even and competitive tournament. But it (getting 8th) would by no means be a lock like, say, last years Harding County boys team...

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 9:48 am 
Walk On
Walk On

Hey new to this forum and looking forward to talking Girls B Ball with you. I've been able to watch Sully Buttes, Ethan, Warner, Tripp/Delmont/Armour, Avon, Desmet, and Timber Lake in person this year from the B's. Warner seems to be a step above everyone else that I've seen. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2018, 11:09 am 
Walk On
Walk On

sdhawks wrote:
Menno was off to a great start with wins over TDA and Hanson before they lost a starter to a knee injury.

She must have been one heck of a player for them to beat those teams early on, only lose to Ethan by 4 and then lose their first round region game to a 6 seed! That is a bummer!

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2018, 1:15 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Kind of surprised to see Warner struggle with Florence Henry last night. Close game all the way. Parity still seems to be prevalent in the B's.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2018, 3:35 pm 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Defense Wins wrote:
Kind of surprised to see Warner struggle with Florence Henry last night. Close game all the way. Parity still seems to be prevalent in the B's.

It appears that Warner tends to play down to their competition. A dangerous way to play!!!!

They barely beat Redfield, the let Leola/Frederick hang around. They beat Ipswich in a close one. Yet, they lose to St. Thomas More by 2 and destroy Belle Fourche. Go figure!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 6:52 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Florence has a good basketball team lots of size and a guard that can defend and score..... they matched up well body for body with Warner..... Florence maybe under achieved this year looks to me not necessarily Warner playing down to them..... jmo

PostPosted: February 24th, 2018, 10:02 am 
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Florence did have some very good bigger athletic girls... supposedly did struggle with some chemistry issues at times this season so I have to agree with ejmiller86...

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3