Region Track Meets

Discuss Track and Field here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Region Track Meets

Postby NebraskaNorm » May 18th, 2018, 9:49 am

Anyone else want the eliminate the absurdity that is the current Region Track Meet qualification system?
FBParent101
Captain
Captain

Re: Region Track Meets

Postby FBParent101 » May 18th, 2018, 10:12 am

I guess my question would be what do you not like about it and how would you change it?
old faithful
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby old faithful » May 18th, 2018, 7:49 pm

The qualification system is OK. Someone will always dispute the present system but it seems to be better than anything else that's been tried. This year, as usual, there might have again been some problems ------- very short season and a few more dominant regions (like #3, #4, and #8), but there always will be. The state track meet will, as usual, field the state's best and some very good competition. There also will be some really outstanding efforts ------ based on region and season times/distances. Good luck to all the athletes!!!!!
NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby NebraskaNorm » May 21st, 2018, 3:29 pm

Collapse to the CC Region alignments or go to the AA system of qualification.
FBParent101
Captain
Captain

Postby FBParent101 » May 22nd, 2018, 1:37 pm

NebraskaNorm wrote:
May 21st, 2018, 3:29 pm
Collapse to the CC Region alignments or go to the AA system of qualification.
I don't like the idea of moving to XC Region alignments. With only 5 regions, you're looking at potentially very few participants in any single event. In Girls Class B for example, there are only two automatic qualifiers in the 400m Dash. If neither of those girls placed one or two at Regions, you'd only have 12 entrants total. You could potentially have as few as 10 entrants in an event. The current system gets you at least 16 entrants, which in my opinion is a much better number.

AA system is a much better option, but there could be some potential issues with implementing that into Class B.
old faithful
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby old faithful » May 23rd, 2018, 11:55 am

It really is not "broke" so don't fix it. This could be a bad year to judge qualification, but in a normal season not many ever complain. We have quality entrants in the "A" State Meet. I would never want to go to cross country alignments or that system. We have far more participants and events in track.
ringthebells
Starter
Starter

Postby ringthebells » May 30th, 2018, 9:07 pm

AA makes changes next year. Gone are the provisional and automatic qualifiers and in comes the top 24. I think it is a great step, but to really make a difference, there should be no limit to the number of competitors for each event from each school. Watertown has this happen almost every year where they have 4 or 5 of the top throwers but are only allowed to bring 3 to the state meet. Some slappy will be throwing that doesn't belong just because he doesn't go to Watertown. Take the top 24 no limit to a school. I'm not sure whether all should score or not, but that is a discussion for a different thread. If we have moved to sweet 16 in basketball, football, and volleyball to give the best teams a chance to compete then the same thing should be happening in track. If they are in the top 24, let them have the experience of competing at our highest level.
Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.
NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby NebraskaNorm » June 8th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Old faithful, the system is broke. The region track meets have zero significance. It has turned into a 75% JV Meet.
FBParent101
Captain
Captain

Postby FBParent101 » June 11th, 2018, 7:43 am

NebraskaNorm wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 1:27 pm
Old faithful, the system is broke. The region track meets have zero significance. It has turned into a 75% JV Meet.
75% is an exaggeration, but I understand where you're coming from with this. There are a lot of coaches who do the enter/scratch method at Regions with their studs who have qualified by time so that they can try to get another boy or girl qualified. I think a big problem is that across the board it seems like Track teams are getting smaller, so there are less teams who feel that they have a chance to win the Region Meet. If you think you can win it, you're running your best kids in every event and trying for as many points as possible. If you don't have the kids to do it, you start picking and choosing to try to get kids qualified.
old faithful
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby old faithful » June 11th, 2018, 6:13 pm

You're right, FBParent, but I sometimes wonder what's totally wrong with a system that qualifies the best athletes/teams anyway and sometimes still allows more kids the chance to qualify in a region meet? More kids get the chance for a state meet experience. Those who "just" qualify in a region meet may have a greater incentive to stay out for track or even place in a future state meet. What is so awful about that? The multi-class football system does basically the same thing, and we still continue to add classes.
NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby NebraskaNorm » June 25th, 2018, 7:36 am

The region system rewards (or punishes) athletes based on geographic location. That is no way to qualify for a state meet. There has to be a minimum standard.