Old Moose's top 5 9-man II

Discuss football here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Old Moose's top 5 9-man II

Postby Old Moose II » August 5th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I got reminded that nothing is forever RIP Old Moose and welcome Old Moose II. So I had to start new so I will with this thread. Here is a my new top 5 per class. This will look similar to what I commented on earlier to a couple of other topics but I have changed them some. As usual I will update every couple of weeks.
The start of the season is on Monday and I am more than ready except baseball just got over. We just get over from one sport then on to another, how do these multisport kids do it now days. There is no breaks in between and the demand to become one sport specified is so great it is putting a hurt on the small towns to compete in some sports. Back in the day everyone was well rounded in all sports just not good in one, but now to excel at the top level in one sport you need to work months in between seasons to be great at that sport. This puts the multi sport kid in quite a spot. Now they must choose early on if they want to continue to play sports after High School, so they must pick one and work at it. Baseball suffers the worst because during the summer is when all the camps and traveling teams happens for in school sports. It seems Baseball takes a backseat to all that plus with the class B separation in Jr Legion and Legion (500 students or under) it is killing small town Baseball. Enough on that and now on to the top 5.

9AA
A lot of good teams in this class again and the top is loaded with some mainstays. Better than half the teams in this class will be over .500. There is always a surprise or two in this class that will come up thru the ranks and contend at the end of the year. It will be fun to see who will rise to the top this year.

1. Gregory They have a lot of returning horses and a lot of good young talent that has been waiting for their chance. The defense will be very good and the Offense will be on track by the end of the season. The Heat of their season is not till the second half, as long they keep winning they will stay here on top.

2. Miller/H-H They have a stud in Karst Hunter returning at QB. He has quick feet and can throw the ball very well. They also have a lot of returning skill players that will fill in nicely. They got hurt the worst on the line during graduation but coach Castle will have that end taken care of by the first game. Big game to start the season with W-W we will see how both teams stack up.

3.Wolsey-Wessington Loaded with seniors They return almost everyone. They only lost one 2-way player to graduation and should be able to fill that spot in. They are very skilled bunch especially with the Williams kid at running back. As long as they stay healthy they will be very good. They have 2 very tough teams to start the season with MIller/HH and then Bon Homme.

4. Bon Homme If they get the new QB in shape right out of the box they will be very tough team also. They have a lot of talent coming back and a bunch the younger classes. Very well coached and should make noise at the end of the year. By the end of August we will know how tough these guys will be they play both Miller and W-W by the 1st of September.

5. At this time I believe those 4 are just a cut above everyone else but here a some my canidates for this spot here. Irene-W (Trey King), Hamlin very well coached, Webster very talented junior class, Baltic, and Arlington. Any of these teams could make a push into the top 4.

9A
This Class is Wide open again and there are a lot of quality programs in the top half of 9A and any one of them could make a push to the top. My top 5 could be juggled in any order.

1. Howard A Kid named Hofer and some good coaching will get them up to the top. The first 2 games are against quality opponents and should have them rolling by the middle of the season.

2. Warner Solid junior class coming up and good coaching. They have good program and always put a quality team on the field. The aug.24th game should be a dandy against an up and coming solid Faulkton team.

3. Clark-Willow Lake They have some very solid atheletes and if they can put it together they will be very hard to beat. The second half of their schedule will tell the tale of this team. They should go 5-0 to start the season.

4. Britton-Hecla they lost almost all of thier play makers except Haskins Jr. If he stays healthy he will be tough to stop. They have Hamlin First game of the year again. This will be a good test for both teams to see where they are.

5. Corsica-Stickney After a little scouting report they look to bring back some good talent. But they have some big holes to fill if they want to get back where they were last year. Their first three games are against very good quality programs and we should have good idea how they are after that.

9B
With 6-man heading this way this looks to be the last year for 9B. The male ADM cut off is too high for 6-man and if it takes off it could alos be the doom for 9A. Over half of the current 9A teams qualify for 6-man. Anyway on to this class where it looks like we have some of the same old names at the top. This class should have 4 or 5 undefeated teams again towards the end of the year but I do not think the separation between those teams will be as great as last year.

1. Sully Buttes They return alot but lost 2 very good players. They are well coached and should be there at the end. Right out of the gates they get an always tough Potter county in a rivalry game at Gettysburg. This will be good measuring stick for both teams.

2. Colome Senior heavy and all the talent is there to make a run at it just depends on how the coaching puts it together. They will be very hard to beat in any form as long as they stay healthy. Their first quality match up will be Aug. 31st against a much improved Burke team.

3. Castlewood Lots of talent coming up and will be very scrappy team. Their heavy part of the schedule is not till the second half. The first 2 games should be tougher and test them to see where they belong.

4. Harding County Only lost 1 senior off a 8-0 season They are very well coached and should make the final 4. With the schedule they have they will be 8-0 at the end of the year.

5.Wall Only lost 3 seniors off an 8-0 team last year. Their schedule should get them an 8-0 regular season mark also. They should be a tougher out in the playoffs this year.
Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Old Moose's top 5 9-man II

Postby Old Moose II » September 1st, 2018, 12:32 am

Now that 3 game weeks have flew by we are headed into the middle of the season. The heat has for the most part left us alone and I do not think there has been a weather delayed game yet. I really think with the addition of 6-man that we can get rid of the bye week for all classes and get us back to a normal start time for football. All the teams show that they need the extra 4 days to get them ready. Fall camp should be at least 10 or 11 days then game week. Some of the week 0 scores did not tell the whole story and might have been a little different with an additional week of practice. Look out for the date Sept. 21st for there are going to be a lot big games in all classes.

9AA
The big surprise is Miller/HH not having the O and D line too keep them in games. They got really hurt during Graduation on the line and do not seem to have an answer filling those spots to keep them competitive. Separation with the teams is starting to happen but it is still a little early to tell on some. The top 3 of this class could go in any order.

1. Gregory The offense has sputtered in the beginning but is coming around. Defense is as advertised and they will be tough to score on. Bye week then RCC. BH on the 21st will be the game to watch too see if the Gorillas are where they need to be.

2.Wolsey-Wessington This team is good with alot of team speed. BH scared them and that game could have went either way. If injuries stay away no one might get them this year. Easier part of the schedule coming up with a strong finish.

3 Bon Homme They found an answer at QB in Slama and a good one at that. They are going to be tough to beat and had WW down, they let go one too many big plays otherwise they would have gotton WW. They have a tough KWL team next week then a LB warm up before Gregory.

4. Irene-Wakonda They really have not had a test yet and are looking to roll till the Sept 21 game against Canistota/Freeman. Then we will see if they have what it takes to get back to the dome. Their next two games will be tougher but they should prevail.

5. Kimball/White Lake and Arlington/lake Preston. Both of these teams a looking good right now. KWL has really tough schedule and with the HUGE line they have they will be a miss match issue for almost every team they play. ALP is putting up some good numbers against some decent teams. The last 3 games will tell the tale for them.

9A
Another big surprise is Howard, they also have not found the answer for the All-state lineman they lost to graduation last year. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the year will fair for them. The separation is making it become more clear who will come out on top. Timber lake is looking good but I will need the another round too see if I can put them in the top 5.

1. Britton-Hecla They put the hurt on a decent Hamlin team and have not looked back. The defense is really good and will be tough to score on. CWL on the 21st should be a dandy.

2. Canistota-Freeeman Mr. Thu coming back has made this already tough team into a contender. Look for these guys to put the fear into I-W on the 21st.

3. Warner They survived a huge test with a salty Faulkton team. Sept 14 showdown with Sully Might be too much for them but they should stay right with them.

4. Clark/WIllow Lake Taking care of businees the last few weeks as expected. Hopefully they are fine tuned by the Sept 21 bout with Britton.

5. Alcester-Hudson Huge win over C/S has just catapulted them back into my top 5. The game on the 21st with Colome is looking to be for all the marbles in this conference and should not disappoint.

9B
The top 3 teams are all alone in this class and will be tough to beat this year. A few teams are not where I thought they would be and the top 5 will show it. Wall and HC are not looking like the teams I thought they might be. Season still early but it is not what I expected. HC could suffer their first regular season loss in quite some time next week to tough Timber Lake team.

1. Sully Buttes Rolling the first 2 games on thier way to the big match against Warner on the 14th. The North border game could be the toughest of the year.

2. Colome These guys are going to steam roll thier way thru thier conference and into the playoffs. A-H game on the 21st will really tell the tail where they are at.

3. Castlewood These guys are looking real good right now and I think they stay perfect till the 28th show down with A/LP.

4. Faulkton Area Played Warner as tough as anyone and will have North Border on the 21st to give them a run.

5. Colman-Egan Squeaked by DRSM and will have some decent challenges coming up. They are playing with a target on thier backs so they better be up to it.
Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Old Moose II » September 22nd, 2018, 8:45 pm

Loving this time of year and football is in full swing. In this day and age anymore if you want to check out a particular game you will most likely find it live streamed somewhere. This is a great tool for Grandma, Grandpa, cousins or ect.. that cannot travel or that live far away to catch a game. I really do not think it takes away from the crowds and people still would rather go to the game than to stay at home and watch. I like the idea of going to the game then coming home and re-watching it on the live stream to see some of the things you missed or to see things you would like to watch again. The only thing I would like to see is a thread started somewhere with the links to all of the games so you can go and watch any one in particular.
So on to the last of the season and the push for playoff positioning will make its move. Most of the teams are where I thought they would be and some are slipping. Now on to the top 5's.

9AA

Boy what a tough class and there is a clear top three which could go in any order. There are several that fall in line right behind them and it will be hard fill in the last 2 spots.

1. Wolsey-Wessington undefeted at this point and not looking back. They have a very tough challenge against a evenly matched Gregory team on the 5th of October to round out thier season. That game will be very intresting for it will have alot of playoff implications riding on it.

2. Bon Homme Squeaked by Gregory in a defensive battle and will now take on a very tough Warner team. BH should win out the rest of the season.

3. Gregory Now that they have that huge winning streak off their backs they can get down to business . The WW game will be a tough one but they have the horses to get it done.

4. Arlington/Lake Preston They have cruised thru the first part of the season just to get them warmed up Castlewood and Colman Eagan.

5. Baltic, Garretson, I-W, Webster, and Hamlin. Anyone of these could fill this spot with me leaning toward I-W just for the offensive firepower they have.

9A

This class is loaded with teams that are pretty even and the top 4 or so could beat each other on any given night.

1.Britton-Hecla Almost got taken down by an very salty Clark/Willow lake team and it should be very intresting if these 2 should meet again. They should win out the rest of the season.

2. Canistota-Freeman has taken everyone down so far and should roll till the last game of the year where they could possibly face an undefeated Garretson team.

3. Clark/Wiloow Lake lost a dandy to B-H and it does not get any easier for them as they have Webster and then Hamlin to end the season. They will be battle tested come playoffs and will be a very difficult out.

4. Timber Lake. They are just hammering teams out west and should roll into the post season unblemmished. This team I will be watching and if they stay healthy they could be heading to the dome in November.

5. Warner, Howard, and Alcester-Hudson will probably end the season at 6-2 and should be not be taken lightly come playoff time. Thier tough schedules will have them ready to play.

9B
This class is having clear separation and there are 3 teams that stand out. After those there is 3 teams a step below the rest follow. 4 and 5 could be swapped around they are all looking to be even.

1. Colome they are looking to be the team to beat right now. They are just destroying everything in their path and do not seem to be slowing down.

2. Sully Buttes they are beating decent teams and are looking to get better every week. They have a few tougher games yet but that will be just warm up for them to get them ready for playoffs.

3. Castlewood mid level schedule to begin with, but should be tested in the last few games with Arlington and Colman-Egan.

4. Colman-Egan They keep winning but I think that ends when they hit Castlewood on the 5th.

5. Faulkton and Wall I am leaning on Faulkton they put the hurt on a decent North border team this last Friday and are looking to be improving each week.
PinkTacos
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby PinkTacos » September 24th, 2018, 9:40 am

If White River/Jones County knocks off Wall this week, maybe they need to start getting a little bit of love. Yes they won't get past any of the top 5 9AA schools but when is the last time anybody has talked about the WR/JC program?? They needed a beat down of Gregory to start going on a scoring spree. Even through it was at the expense of Lyman, Crazy Horse and New Underwood.
Boom there goes the dynamite!!
runner1
Walk On
Walk On

Postby runner1 » October 4th, 2018, 9:26 pm

Sorry, PinkTacos. Until JC/WR beats anyone of relevance in 9AA (unlike WR's prominence in Class B basketball), you're not going to see them getting much love.
Beat Gregory, Kimball/White Lake, et. al., and there might be a conversation worth having.
SDFOOTBALL12345
Walk On
Walk On

Postby SDFOOTBALL12345 » October 9th, 2018, 10:40 am

Still a big week of football left and some big 1st round games but what are the thoughts on 9B playoffs? Bison knocks out Scotland goes to Region 3, Sunshine Bible knocks out Florence-Henry goes to Region 2. Kadoka could knock off Harding County, and DRSM could knock off Colman-Egan.

Region 1:
Sully Buttes 8-0 46.625
Faulkton 6-2 43.125
Langford 4-4 40.375
Hitchcock-Tulare 4-4 40.375

Region 2:
Castlewood 7-1 44.125
Colman-Egan 6-2 42.75
Dell Rapids SM 3-5 39.375
Sunshine Bible 5-3 40.25

Region 3:
Colome 8-0 45.50
Burke 5-3 41.75
Gayville 3-5 39.375
Bison 4-4 39.625

Region 4:
Wall 8-0 44.75
Harding County 7-1 43.375
Kadoka 4-4 40.375
Faith 4-4 40.00

2nd Round:
1. Sully Buttes 46.625
2. Colome 45.50
3. Wall 44.75
4. Castlewood 44.125
5. Harding County 43.375
6. Faulkton 43.125
7. Colman-Egan 42.75
8. Burke 41.75

Sully Buttes v. Burke
Colome v. Colman-Egan
Wall v. Faulkton
Castlewood v. Harding County

Semi Final Round:
1. Sully Buttes
2. Colome
3. Castlewood
4. Faulkton

Sully Buttes v. Faulkton
Colome v. Castlewood

DakotaDome Final:
1. Sully Buttes
2. Colome
AverageMan
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby AverageMan » October 11th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Region 1:
Sully Buttes 8-0 46.625
Faulkton 6-2 43.125
Langford 4-4 40.375
Hitchcock-Tulare 4-4 40.375

Region 2:
Castlewood 7-1 44.125
Colman-Egan 6-2 42.75
Dell Rapids SM 3-5 39.375
Sunshine Bible 5-3 40.25

Region 3:
Colome 8-0 45.50
Burke 5-3 41.75
Gayville 3-5 39.375
Bison 4-4 39.625

Region 4:
Wall 8-0 44.75
Harding County 7-1 43.375
Kadoka 4-4 40.375
Faith 4-4 40.00
----------------------------------------
1. Sully Buttes / 8. Burke - Burke could have been a dark horse, if they could of grabbed a higher seed. Sully big.
2. Colome / 7. Colman-Egan - Colman-Egan will make it a game early, but Colome should run away with it late.
3. Wall / 6. Faulkton - Don't be surprised to see Faulkton come away with an upset in this game.
4. Castlewood / 5. Harding Co. - I'd take Castlewood in a close one.
-----------------------------------------
1. Sully Buttes / 4. Castlewood - Sully Buttes, plain better.
2. Colome / 6. Faulkton - Colome isn't battle tested this year, if a good team comes to play, this could be a trap game for the Cowboys. But Colome is very good.
-----------------------------------------
1. Sully Buttes / 2. Colome - I'd take Sully Buttes in a high scoring game.
Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
FBParent101
Captain
Captain

Postby FBParent101 » October 12th, 2018, 9:40 am

AverageMan wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 2:21 pm
Don't be surprised to see Faulkton come away with an upset in this game.
Not only would it not surprise me at all, but I wouldn't consider it an upset either (in anything other than seed I guess). I'd be much more surprised if Faulkton lost this game, might even go as far as to say I'd be surprised if it was close. After Wall went 8-0 last year and got smoked in the second round by Castlewood, I need to see something from them this year before I believe in them.
RookieSD
Walk On
Walk On

Postby RookieSD » October 12th, 2018, 10:15 am

How close do you think the Faulkton / SB game will be tonight?? Does Faulkton have a chance at winning? That could really shake some things up with the playoff seeding.
SDFOOTBALL12345
Walk On
Walk On

Postby SDFOOTBALL12345 » October 12th, 2018, 10:25 am

Wall has played 3 teams with a record above .500. IF they do somehow get past Faulkton in the 2nd round, Colome will take care of it in 1 half of the Semi's.

Faulkton has some big boys up front, athletes at QB and in the backfield. Play a pretty tough schedule. I see a repeat of the 2nd round for the Eagles come October 25th.

Wall has athletes and speed. But I think the front line will get eaten up and they won't have time in the backfield. Put this team back east, they would have a 4-4 record, at best 5-3

Wall's record since 2004 in the playoffs against East River teams. 4 wins - 10 losses.... (2 of those coming in 2011 alone. 1 from 2013. 1 from 2005)
AverageMan
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby AverageMan » October 12th, 2018, 12:51 pm

SDFOOTBALL12345 wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 10:25 am
Wall has played 3 teams with a record above .500. IF they do somehow get past Faulkton in the 2nd round, Colome will take care of it in 1 half of the Semi's.

Faulkton has some big boys up front, athletes at QB and in the backfield. Play a pretty tough schedule. I see a repeat of the 2nd round for the Eagles come October 25th.

Wall has athletes and speed. But I think the front line will get eaten up and they won't have time in the backfield. Put this team back east, they would have a 4-4 record, at best 5-3

Wall's record since 2004 in the playoffs against East River teams. 4 wins - 10 losses.... (2 of those coming in 2011 alone. 1 from 2013. 1 from 2005)
This east/west river thing :roll:
Luckily for Wall, this is why we play the game. (I'll still take Faulkton :D )
AverageMan
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby AverageMan » October 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm

RookieSD wrote:
October 12th, 2018, 10:15 am
How close do you think the Faulkton / SB game will be tonight?? Does Faulkton have a chance at winning? That could really shake some things up with the playoff seeding.
Everyone has a chance in High School football, however Faulkton's chance is pretty low, in my opinion. I, personally, would take Sully by 25+ points tonight.
But it would shake up the power points if I am wrong!