What Schools likely to try 6-man next season

Discuss football here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

Kenny Krozby
Starter
Starter

What Schools likely to try 6-man next season

Postby Kenny Krozby » August 20th, 2018, 9:19 am

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything through the grape vine about interest in the new 6-man football class next season. Any schools you know of that are very interested or have said they absolutely will not do it?
"One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it." ~Knute Rockne
Vike44
Walk On
Walk On

Re: What Schools likely to try 6-man next season

Postby Vike44 » August 20th, 2018, 9:54 am

ORR should definitely consider it.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » August 20th, 2018, 10:01 am

Not sure what schools are in or out. But until we have some east river teams confirm they are doing it, it will be a NW SD division only. Can't expect an ORR or DRSM to travel to Bison, Faith, Timber Lake every week. Just not viable or reasonable for finances or bus time. Need some east river teams to do it.

Some great links if you haven't checked out TX Six man football.

http://www.sixmanfootball.com/

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20231384
Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Old Moose II » August 20th, 2018, 10:12 am

I heard Edgemont is in. Harding County and Wall are out. I would not be surprised if Centerville, SBA, Crazy Horse, Bison, or Iroquois are considering it.
Last edited by Old Moose II on August 20th, 2018, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Krozby
Starter
Starter

Postby Kenny Krozby » August 20th, 2018, 10:12 am

Have you heard that no east river teams are interested? or is that just your thoughts on it? Would definitely have to be some collaboration with nearby schools, but there has to be a ton of schools that would be small enough and already know they will struggle to compete in 9 man that would have to at least make a phone call or two... Also if any of these Co-ops are coming to the end of their contract agreements, it would have to be something to consider.
"One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than a hundred teaching it." ~Knute Rockne
Kenny Krozby
Starter
Starter

Postby Kenny Krozby » August 20th, 2018, 10:15 am

I am sure Wall wouldn't be interested in modifying their new field turf to make an 80 yard field quite yet... haha
Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Old Moose II » August 20th, 2018, 10:52 am

Just my thoughts on the last 5. All of those schools have small rosters year in and out. If they are not considering going 6-man they should be. It would not surprise me if a few coops are thinking about breaking up, but I have heard nothing so far.
Vladimere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Vladimere » August 20th, 2018, 12:17 pm

I agree with Moose in saying that the teams that can barely field a team year in and year out should consider...but, like mentioned above, the travel will be excessive. I was not a fan of creating the 6 man class. What are we going to do...crown a state champion out of 5 teams?
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » August 20th, 2018, 12:53 pm

I think the state jumped the gun on this one. Just because a school marked interested, does not mean that they are going to make the switch. If there is only 1 or 2 teams in the Eastern part of the state that does it make sense? I am hoping more schools from the east do do it. It does look exciting and keeps some schools from having to coop and keep their towns/school pride alive and kicking on the grid iron.
Kenny Krozby
Starter
Starter

Postby Kenny Krozby » August 20th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I don't think I would call it "Jumping the gun" on it. I do agree that getting the first group of teams to sign up for it might be tough, but my prediction is that after a few years of it, people start getting an understanding of what it is, we will get more and more to want to drop down and do it. Why don't many teams low enough to be 9 man still try to play 11 man instead? Because they think they can be more competitive in the 9 man game. I have a feeling the same thing can happen with the 6 man game. It may take a decade for that to happen, but it would still take a decade whether they start next year or 10 years from now. Might as well get it going now. That is why it passed.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » August 20th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I think it should have passed as well. But I just want to make sure that it is not just a NW SD thing. I would like to see those lower level number 9B teams in the east river jump on board as well, not the coops but the individual schools. 6 man is not a joke and would be a great thing to watch. Check out that ESPN special on Texas 6 man. Brings the school pride back to many.
sodak51
Walk On
Walk On

Postby sodak51 » August 20th, 2018, 2:25 pm

I would guess around 12 teams next year, primarily in the north and in the west, plus Iroquois and possibly Centerville. I'd say wait to throw stones until enrollments are set and there is a full yes or no vote from eligible teams.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » August 20th, 2018, 3:08 pm

When do the schools have to let the State know? End of Oct this year?
Old Moose II
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Old Moose II » August 20th, 2018, 8:33 pm

Football CO-OPs have till the January SDHSAA meeting to get their paperwork in. I would assume that would be when they would want to know who wants to be 6-man. They could make all teams 40 adm and below petition up to 9-man, if they do not want to play 6-man. That is how the books work right now. If your current adm put you in 9aa for example if you want to play 11b you have to petition up by the January meeting before they set the schedules for the next 2 years.
On a Different note the interview I heard with the Edgemont AD about going to 6-man he is already planning on playing a couple of Nebraska teams that are close to them plus maybe a Colorado team. 6-man is a good thing for South Dakota and it may take a couple of years to really catch on. But when it does it will be a good thing for these smaller schools.
RookieSD
Walk On
Walk On

Postby RookieSD » August 21st, 2018, 7:54 am

Vladimere wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 12:17 pm
What are we going to do...crown a state champion out of 5 teams?
Kind of Like 11AAA and 11AA?
Vladimere
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Vladimere » August 21st, 2018, 8:35 am

haha...yeah, that is about right.
Kenny Krozby
Starter
Starter

Postby Kenny Krozby » August 21st, 2018, 8:51 am

coachwatch wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 1:39 pm
not the coops but the individual schools.
Why not co-ops? I think we tend to forget that many of these co-ops were formed out of necessity rather than the two schools just loving each other that much. I would have to think many of these communities would love to get their football identity back and this 6-man can be their chance.
AverageMan
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby AverageMan » August 21st, 2018, 12:21 pm

Currently there should be plenty of teams that could make a decent 6 man class. When you look at teams that take 3-5 schools to field a 9 man team. I was first against the idea, but after reading into this some more, I think this will give the small towns and schools a chance to become what they used to be. Instead of only hosting 1-2 games a year, or less, for the home town faithful. I would like to see this idea succeed right away!
Life's tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » August 21st, 2018, 12:43 pm

I would absolutely love to see these small schools with their own 6 man FB team vs a 3-4 school merger/coop like it is now. Town and school pride would be riding high.
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » August 23rd, 2018, 7:39 am

RookieSD wrote:
August 21st, 2018, 7:54 am
Vladimere wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 12:17 pm
What are we going to do...crown a state champion out of 5 teams?
Kind of Like 11AAA and 11AA?
I was thinking the same thing. The excessive 11 man classes still pisses me off!