Discuss Boys Basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Class B update - Mid Season

Postby coachwatch » January 24th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Midseason report:

How good has Class B Boys been this year? Really good! White River (WR), Clark Willow Lake (CWL) and Bridgewater Emery stand as the top 3 teams. WR is loaded 8 or 9 deep. CWL has Prouty who can put 40 on anyone. BE is only 5 deep but they have Sawyer Schultz, Carter Dye, and Jammin Arend (Yes I misspelled that because I like to call him Jammin Arend!, no idea if he dunk though) BE, WR, or CWL can win it all this year.

Surprising teams thus far: Viborg Hurley. Put a Loss on previously undefeated and really good Aberdeen Christian. Timber Lake has state tourney experience and has a couple of losses, Canistota has some athletes, DeSmet has Trevin Holland and a freshmen class that is really good led by Kalen Garry. 2 losses on the season. Arlington is surpisingly good. They lost some good seniors and seems to play with a level of confidence

Others looking in: Hanson - well coached good defensive team, lost to Sanborn Central Woonsocket on Tuesday. But has made some noise. Colome - good FB players, can they hoop when it matters?

Question marks: Dell Rapids St Mary - beat Colman Egan by 15 in the first game then lose to them in OT. Connor Libis is putting up some monster numbers. Don't overlook that team if he is playing well. Elkton Lake Benton. They beat DRSM and then lose to Deuel. Question marks on them. Lemmon 11-2 but who do they play? SB Central, beat Hanson by 18 and lose to JV by 6. IW, they have Trey King but is that enough?

Should be a great 2nd half of the season! Let it Fly!!!
bOOm
Walk On
Walk On

Re: Class B update - Mid Season

Postby bOOm » January 24th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Would also throw Sully into the surprising category as well. They've shown that they can still have a very good team without the dominance of Jordre in the middle. Well coached team to reload with that big of shoes to fill.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » January 25th, 2019, 10:52 am

Totally agree. Missed SB on the surprising list. Winning program just keeps winning.
PinkTacos
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby PinkTacos » January 25th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Timber Lake, i think, is only team in Class B not to have played a team with a losing record. That will change next week when they play Dupree (1-11)
Boom there goes the dynamite!!
bOOm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby bOOm » January 31st, 2019, 9:39 am

Finally looks like the weather will clear up to get some games in this weekend. Been a rough patch for scheduling as of late....
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » February 4th, 2019, 7:52 am

Big Week for alot of Class B teams. Many/many games for some. DWU Classic on Saturday. Gonna be a great week in SD Hoops!

Here is the DWU Classic schedule for Saturday Feb 9th. Some good teams & players coming into the Corn Palace.

Boys Pairings:

9 a.m. - Freeman Academy/Marion vs. Platte-Geddes

10:30 a.m. - Pine Ridge vs. Aberdeen Roncalli

12 p.m. - Sanborn Central/Woonsocket vs. Irene-Wakonda

1:30 p.m. - Dell Rapids St. Mary vs. Corsica-Stickney

3 p.m. - Parker vs. Dell Rapids

4:30 p.m. - Sioux Falls Christian vs. St. Thomas More

6 p.m. - Hanson vs. De Smet

7:30 p.m. - Canistota vs. White River

9 p.m. - Bridgewater-Emery vs. Aberdeen Christian
bOOm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby bOOm » February 6th, 2019, 2:18 pm

My picks for the day:

9 a.m. - Freeman Academy/Marion vs. Platte-Geddes - PG

10:30 a.m. - Pine Ridge vs. Aberdeen Roncalli - Roncolli

12 p.m. - Sanborn Central/Woonsocket vs. Irene-Wakonda - IW

1:30 p.m. - Dell Rapids St. Mary vs. Corsica-Stickney - DR SM

3 p.m. - Parker vs. Dell Rapids - Parker

4:30 p.m. - Sioux Falls Christian vs. St. Thomas More - STM

6 p.m. - Hanson vs. De Smet - Hanson

7:30 p.m. - Canistota vs. White River - WR

9 p.m. - Bridgewater-Emery vs. Aberdeen Christian - BE
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » February 6th, 2019, 8:10 pm

My picks
Platte Geddes
Pine Ridge
Irene Wakonda
Corsica Stickney
Dell Rapids
STM
DeSmet
White River
Bridgewater Emery
bOOm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby bOOm » February 10th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Some surprises at the DWU classic yesterday! I don't think hardly anyone would have picked Canistota to take down WR. Really surprised by the BE - AC score. Was disappointed in the sportsmanship some of the BE players showed during the game, complaining over and over to referees about some of the calls that were made. Thought that Arend should have possibly gotten a technical for the way he reacted repeatedly.
Did not expect the manhandling SFC put on STM. Was impressed with the freshman Garry from De Smet, and how Hanson got out rebounded by him.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » February 11th, 2019, 8:06 am

Few takeaways from DWU Classic.

PG is young and will be strong with Coach Cutler.
Pine Ridge can beat anybody on any given day. Just don't know what team will show up.
SCW/IW - SCW can be really good. Noah D with 29 & 19! Trey King can light up a scoreboard.
DRSM & CS - DRSM shot the lights out. Connor Libis is really fun to watch. Putting up video game numbers this year. they have a very good sophomore class. CS is well coached, just ran into a hot team that day
Parker & Dells - Parker has a 6'9 Camden Bialas and now some good guards. DR is young but will be in the mix in the next couple years
SFC & STM - SFC just laid the wood to the Cavaliers. STM was really good last week in the Pentagon and SFC just crushed them. Not sure what to think about Class A powers.
Canistota & WR - Good for Canistota. They played hard, hit some shots and made WR work for points. I thought WR was just a little off. I'm sure they will use this game as motivation
BE & Aberdeen Christian - BE has the weapons. Rorback plays with a high level of confidence. Would love to see BE play hard for 4 quarters. If so they could beat any team in SD on any given night.

What a great day of hoops. Very impressed with the teams and players! Well done DWU!
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » February 11th, 2019, 8:12 am

coachwatch wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 8:06 am
Few takeaways from DWU Classic.

PG is young and will be strong with Coach Cutler.
Pine Ridge can beat anybody on any given day. Just don't know what team will show up.
SCW/IW - SCW can be really good. Noah D with 29 & 19! Trey King can light up a scoreboard.
DRSM & CS - DRSM shot the lights out. Connor Libis is really fun to watch. Putting up some big numbers this year. they have a very good sophomore class. CS is well coached, just ran into a hot team that day
Parker & Dells - Parker has a 6'9 Camden Bialas and now some good guards. DR is young but will be in the mix in the next couple years
SFC & STM - SFC just laid the wood to the Cavaliers. STM was really good last week in the Pentagon and SFC just crushed them. Not sure what to think about Class A powers.
Canistota & WR - Good for Canistota. They played hard, hit some shots and made WR work for points. I thought WR was just a little off. I'm sure they will use this game as motivation
BE & Aberdeen Christian - BE has the weapons. Rorback plays with a high level of confidence. Would love to see BE play hard for 4 quarters. If so they could beat any team in SD on any given night.

What a great day of hoops. Very impressed with the teams and players! Well done DWU!
Last edited by coachwatch on February 11th, 2019, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » February 11th, 2019, 9:45 am

Platte Geddes is young and will be better but they are mediocre right now.
Pine Ridge is very good. They have developed some scoring options throughout the year and Bad Bear and Schrader can now score along with Brown. Roncalli is lower top 10 team or maybe top 15. Pine Ridge is top 5.
Noah Dickson is really good and only a junior but his team is not that good. Trey King takes over games and is very very good. Both players should be all-state this year.
Connor Libis has been high scoring since 8th grade and their other sophomores have some talent too. Corsica Stickney didn’t have an answer.
Both Parker and Dell Rapids have been up and down like a yo-yo. Really thought this game could go either way before it started but Parker was the better team on Saturday.
Was surprised at how easily Christian was able to beat More. Both these teams will be there with Tea and Pine Ridge at the end.
I have seen DeSmet 3 times now and each time I am more impressed with their young players and especially Garry. Hanson could not contain him.
Canistota was well coached and well prepared. White River looked to be off their game just a beat or two. Both teams have good young players.
Rorhbach is very good with the ball handling and shooting, plays a lot like his older brother, small and shifty. Bridgewater Emery had better take advantage of this senior class because they will have trouble next year. Schultz is still capable of taking over a game. Arend is hot and cold and Dye is very physical but they lack any kind of depth.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » February 11th, 2019, 10:15 am

Sorry I forgot my DeSmet vs. Hanson takeaways. DeSmet is going to be really good the next few years. Garry is so good down low. Not a huge body but only a freshmen and he uses it well. They will be a tough out come tourney time.
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » February 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I agree with comment about DeSmet being good in next couple years; they are good now and finally made the rankings. Viborg Hurley is new number 1. DeSmet will miss the big guy, Holland, next year.
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » February 13th, 2019, 8:48 am

DeSmet is loaded in the lower grades to go along with this Freshman class. Gonna be a tough team to beat coming up.
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!