Class B preview for 2019-2020

Discuss Boys Basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

cornhusker78
Walk On
Walk On

Re: Class B preview for 2019-2020

Postby cornhusker78 » December 16th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Open enrollment sure has went overboard. Having your kid live with someone just for sports?
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » December 18th, 2019, 9:25 pm

fishingbuddy wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 7:03 pm
Wow. Just checked some rosters - Crow Creek has 3 seniors who were coached by White River's Eldon Marshall with two being starters last year and the third starting at times; Todd county now has 4 juniors and seniors who transferred from White River. I was surprised to see that Tyson Iyotte is on TC roster as he started the year in White River and ran cross country at state for White River.

I think people forget what went down after the Viborg lose first game of the state tourney. Parents going after Eldon. Right into the locker room. That’s what happens when you recruit too heavily. You never know what you are going to get. Always better to grow up together in a community that people know and grow up with. Parents included. Doesn’t surprise me this finally happened
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
fishingbuddy
Walk On
Walk On

Postby fishingbuddy » December 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

captain Tony wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 9:25 pm
fishingbuddy wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 7:03 pm
Wow. Just checked some rosters - Crow Creek has 3 seniors who were coached by White River's Eldon Marshall with two being starters last year and the third starting at times; Todd county now has 4 juniors and seniors who transferred from White River. I was surprised to see that Tyson Iyotte is on TC roster as he started the year in White River and ran cross country at state for White River.

I think people forget what went down after the Viborg lose first game of the state tourney. Parents going after Eldon. Right into the locker room. That’s what happens when you recruit too heavily. You never know what you are going to get. Always better to grow up together in a community that people know and grow up with. Parents included. Doesn’t surprise me this finally happened
One needs to be careful about making assumptions. With open enrollment, people need to quit the recruiting talk especially after I learned last year about all of the east river kids going to a neighboring school district, including districts running buses from towns outside of their district. I've heard that Jones County (Murdo) runs a bus from White River District to Murdo. Most of west river can't go to another school just for sports due to the distance between towns. One young man who is now in Crow Creek had been in WR since his mom got a teaching job there when he was in middle school. I believe his dad got a position by Crow Creek, and so of course, they moved there. Another had gone to WR when his foster parent moved there. He moved to another town when his home situation changed. Four who transferred to Todd County had gone to school in White River since grade school. Open enrollment is one thing, but I don't understand how a student was allowe'sd to change in the middle of the year and still play that year for a different school. Tyson Iyotte ran state cross country with White River a few weeks ago but was Todd County's high scorer in a game yesterday. I thought that was against the rules/law.
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star

Postby John Deere Jockey » December 20th, 2019, 7:28 am

As long as there is open enrollment then kids are free to shop around for their next team. Some do it because they want more playing time. Some because they don’t like their coach. Some because they play on a summer travel team with someone and they want to play school basketball with them. Agree with Captain tho, better when the kids all grow up together and play together from grade school on.
jacks32
Walk On
Walk On

Postby jacks32 » December 20th, 2019, 9:11 am

Been saying it for a while. If you open enroll, you are ineligible for one year. Certainly, if you transfer during the same school year you should be ineligible the rest of the school year. "Open enrollment, we're on it!"
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star

Postby John Deere Jockey » December 20th, 2019, 11:07 am

jacks32 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 9:11 am
Been saying it for a while. If you open enroll, you are ineligible for one year. Certainly, if you transfer during the same school year you should be ineligible the rest of the school year. "Open enrollment, we're on it!"
:th1
cornhusker78
Walk On
Walk On

Postby cornhusker78 » December 21st, 2019, 2:30 pm

I will never understand how you could send your kid to live with someone else just to be on a good team If home life is terrible then maybe Also i see White River beat Crow Creek after losing bunch of kids to Crow Creek Say what you want but man Eldon can coach
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bOOm » December 21st, 2019, 10:50 pm

I think that maybe the kids that are actually from White River, and grew up there, want to prove that they don't need the recruits to compete. They are doing a good job of this in the LNI. I agree with the team is better off with the kids that grow up together make better teammates, but there are circumstances when kids move from one neighboring district to another because of coaches, teammates, family, or whatever the situation may be, and not need to sit for a year as suggested earlier. When kids are moving just for sports only, that needs to be looked at. Hard thing is telling which situations are genuine or not, and having a hard and fast rule that is fair for all. Everyone has their own reason for moving schools, and it is easy to judge from the outside looking in. Do I disagree with playing one sport and moving during the school year to another school to compete in another sport during that year? Absolutely so, But like I said earlier, its easy to judge when you don't know the whole scenario. Iv'e seen it happen where a kid played football in one school and then played basketball for a neighboring district that they though would be better. In years past, there were east river schools that actually put open enrollment forms in the neighboring towns newspapers to advertise for it. I don't believe that this is still going on now, but could be a possibility.