Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Discuss Boys Basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

User avatar
coachwatch
Starter
Starter
Posts: 412
Joined: November 8th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby coachwatch » February 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Great run down by Jason Andera on Class B Hoops.

https://midcosn.com/blog/2020/02/sd-hig ... srgpkY3AOU
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 798
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » February 29th, 2020, 5:35 pm

This is good content! Reminds me of what we were getting from SD Sports Buzz the past several years: comprehensive in-depth analysis with insight and facts ..... state wide coverage to boot. Kinda lame he didn’t pick Region 4B Dakota 16 teams. My picks: Hanson and Howard.
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 91
Joined: October 25th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby bOOm » February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm

I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Bballfanatic1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 12:16 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby Bballfanatic1 » March 2nd, 2020, 8:29 am

Who is willing to take a stab and guess which regions will have 2 state tournament participants, which region will have 1 participant, and which region will have 0 participants?

I'm going to say:
Region 1: 1 - Aberdeen Christian
Region 2: 0
Region 3: 2 - Desmet & Arlington
Region 4: 2 - Hanson & Howard
Region 5: 1 - Viborg
Region 6: 1 - Platte Geddes
Region 7: 1 - White River
Region 8 - 0
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 91
Joined: October 25th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby bOOm » March 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm

Looks good to me barring any upsets in the region action which is a good possibility... Wish I didn't already have games to watch in person Friday as my son SHOULD be playing. Region 3, 4 , and 6 should have some dandy games on Friday....
Last edited by bOOm on March 3rd, 2020, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoopsLover
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 1
Joined: March 2nd, 2020, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby HoopsLover » March 2nd, 2020, 7:15 pm

Bballfanatic1 wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 8:29 am
Who is willing to take a stab and guess which regions will have 2 state tournament participants, which region will have 1 participant, and which region will have 0 participants?

I'm going to say:
Region 1: 1 - Aberdeen Christian
Region 2: 0
Region 3: 2 - Desmet & Arlington
Region 4: 2 - Hanson & Howard
Region 5: 1 - Viborg
Region 6: 1 - Platte Geddes
Region 7: 1 - White River
Region 8 - 0
Lot of tough teams out of Region 2. There’s 3 teams the realistically could play with anyone in the state. Sully Buttes and Wittler have enough fire power to make some noise far into the tournament.
Cletus
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: March 16th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby Cletus » March 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm

bOOm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm
I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Region 4.... Ethan's only chance against Hanson is if they can outrebound them & that is not going to happen. This is not a good match-up for Ethan. St. Mary's sure can beat Howard & I will be interested to see how the Tigers play when a birth in the sweet 16 is on the line. I'm a fan & they look good on paper, but I think they may be missing something. I agree with Region 2 being fairly balanced & Sully could go down. Region 8 has me convinced that there is a better way to get the best teams to the Sweet 16. I don't think Faith, Harding County or Lemmon could get out of any other region & I know Faith got handled by Bridgewater-Emery who is .500. The top seeded teams are all looking to draw whomever comes out of this region as a sure fire pass to the state tournament. Play each region down to 4 teams & then re-seed 1-32. Region 6...Platte-Geddes in my opinion can make the state semi's. I really don't think either Burke or Gregory can pull the upset.
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 798
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 3rd, 2020, 11:22 am

My opinion on Region 8: any two of the top 4 teams could make the Dakota 16. The two teams that matchup against the Region 8 Dak 16 teams will have the easiest path to Aberdeen.
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 798
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 3rd, 2020, 11:31 am

Potter County vs Sully Buttes is a potential Region 2 game that could see an upset. Sully beat Potter in OT during the regular season.
White River can reserve motel rooms in Aberdeen. They probably already have. The other Region 7 team in the Dak 16 will get knocked out.
If all regions go chalk, then there will be lots of good 2 vs 3 games.
Leola Fred vs Warner in 1. Arlington vs Wolsey Wessington in 3. Howard vs DRSM in 4. Canistota vs Freeman Academy Marion in 5. Marty vs Corsica Stickney in 6.
Bballfanatic1
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 12:16 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby Bballfanatic1 » March 3rd, 2020, 3:41 pm

Most intriguing matchup in each region tonight:
Region 1: Although the Langford/Aberdeen Christian game was close two weeks ago, I expect AC to run away tonight. Warner/Waubay Summit might be a good one tonight! neither team will make a deep playoff push but look out for this one
Region 2: Potter County/Ipswich will be a good one as expected between the 4 and 5 seeds. Kadlec needs some help tonight though in order to knock them off again.
Region 3: Wessington Springs can be a good team. Let's see how they handle the test tonight.
Region 4: I think Howard rolls SCW so I'll go with DRSM vs Colman-Egan. We'll see who is playing well tonight. DRSM has to hit shots to be competitive.
Region 5: irene over FAM (bold prediction); the other contests should not be close
Region 6: Gregory/Burke should be a decent game, but I want to see how good Marty really is!
Region 7: White River will score at least 90 tonight
Region 8: Mcintosh/Timber Lake was a 15 point game a couple weeks ago...no great matchups here in region 8
bulldog45
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 7
Joined: November 11th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby bulldog45 » March 3rd, 2020, 8:12 pm

Sanborn Central Woonsocket takes down Howard 57-72. MARCH MADNESS IS BACK!!!!
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 91
Joined: October 25th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby bOOm » March 3rd, 2020, 8:56 pm

DRSM gets beat by 18??
bulldog45
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 7
Joined: November 11th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby bulldog45 » March 3rd, 2020, 11:24 pm

bulldog45 wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 8:12 pm
Sanborn Central Woonsocket takes down Howard 57-72. MARCH MADNESS IS BACK!!!!
57-52...my bad
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 798
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 4th, 2020, 7:40 am

Except for a few 5 seeds beating 4 seeds, the biggest upsets were in 4B. Sanborn Central Woonsocket beat Howard 57-52 and Colman Egan beat DRSM 67-49.
cornhusker78
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 36
Joined: November 21st, 2019, 8:15 am

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby cornhusker78 » March 4th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Watched some games online Region 4 was crazy Heard Hanson has some injuries Anyone know? also saw Viborg Hurley out one starter and head coach with flu They sure have been hit this year. ELB looked really good last night More upsets to come i bet
Raging Peasants
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 19
Joined: August 20th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby Raging Peasants » March 7th, 2020, 5:22 pm

bOOm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm
I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Nice call on the upsets in Region 4. None of the top 4 seeds in that region make the SoDak 16. March Madness is alive and well in South Dakota.
fishingbuddy
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 32
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby fishingbuddy » March 8th, 2020, 2:41 am

Cletus wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm
bOOm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm
I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Region 4.... Ethan's only chance against Hanson is if they can outrebound them & that is not going to happen. This is not a good match-up for Ethan. St. Mary's sure can beat Howard & I will be interested to see how the Tigers play when a birth in the sweet 16 is on the line. I'm a fan & they look good on paper, but I think they may be missing something. I agree with Region 2 being fairly balanced & Sully could go down. Region 8 has me convinced that there is a better way to get the best teams to the Sweet 16. I don't think Faith, Harding County or Lemmon could get out of any other region & I know Faith got handled by Bridgewater-Emery who is .500. The top seeded teams are all looking to draw whomever comes out of this region as a sure fire pass to the state tournament. Play each region down to 4 teams & then re-seed 1-32. Region 6...Platte-Geddes in my opinion can make the state semi's. I really don't think either Burke or Gregory can pull the upset.
As the games played out - per your proposed system,the two teams who won Region 4 wouldn't have even been given the opportunity to play post-season. Secondly, Region 8 was the reason for the push for Round of 16. Two years ago someone on here said that Region 8 would take last place at State and shouldn't be there. Timber Lake ended up in 6th place ahead of two east river teams. That's why they play the games. The players are teenagers - not professionals. Any given night, there isn't (usually) absolute certainty - case in point: Lyman beats Canistota, White River beats Lyman by 30+, but Canistota defeated WR. === It's exciting to go to state, but not going, isn't life-altering.
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 798
Joined: October 29th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 8th, 2020, 8:40 am

The Dakota 16 is an improvement on the previous district then region format. Dakota 16 gives the opportunity for regions with at least 2 really strong teams for two area teams to make the state tournament. As fishing buddy said: the players are teenagers. As such, anything can happen on any given night. That is why they play the games on the court and not on paper. All that said, region 8 is historically weak and region 7 without White River would be just as weak ..... if not weaker.
ihateduke
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 11
Joined: November 6th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby ihateduke » March 8th, 2020, 9:13 am

Timber Lake actually got 5th that year after defeating Langford and Canistota. They also had eventual state champion Sully Buttes tied with about 3 minutes to go in the opening round.
Cletus
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: March 16th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby Cletus » March 8th, 2020, 2:19 pm

fishingbuddy wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 2:41 am
Cletus wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm
bOOm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm
I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Region 4.... Ethan's only chance against Hanson is if they can outrebound them & that is not going to happen. This is not a good match-up for Ethan. St. Mary's sure can beat Howard & I will be interested to see how the Tigers play when a birth in the sweet 16 is on the line. I'm a fan & they look good on paper, but I think they may be missing something. I agree with Region 2 being fairly balanced & Sully could go down. Region 8 has me convinced that there is a better way to get the best teams to the Sweet 16. I don't think Faith, Harding County or Lemmon could get out of any other region & I know Faith got handled by Bridgewater-Emery who is .500. The top seeded teams are all looking to draw whomever comes out of this region as a sure fire pass to the state tournament. Play each region down to 4 teams & then re-seed 1-32. Region 6...Platte-Geddes in my opinion can make the state semi's. I really don't think either Burke or Gregory can pull the upset.
As the games played out - per your proposed system,the two teams who won Region 4 wouldn't have even been given the opportunity to play post-season. Secondly, Region 8 was the reason for the push for Round of 16. Two years ago someone on here said that Region 8 would take last place at State and shouldn't be there. Timber Lake ended up in 6th place ahead of two east river teams. That's why they play the games. The players are teenagers - not professionals. Any given night, there isn't (usually) absolute certainty - case in point: Lyman beats Canistota, White River beats Lyman by 30+, but Canistota defeated WR. === It's exciting to go to state, but not going, isn't life-altering.
I can't disagree with you & I also love the fact that you were deep in thought over this @ 2:41 A.M. :th1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest