Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Class B Hoops Playoff preview

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm

ihateduke wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 9:13 am
Timber Lake actually got 5th that year after defeating Langford and Canistota. They also had eventual state champion Sully Buttes tied with about 3 minutes to go in the opening round.
Clark Willow Lake won B last year ...... right?
fishingbuddy
Walk On
Walk On

Postby fishingbuddy » March 8th, 2020, 5:59 pm

John Deere Jockey wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 8:40 am
The Dakota 16 is an improvement on the previous district then region format. Dakota 16 gives the opportunity for regions with at least 2 really strong teams for two area teams to make the state tournament. As fishing buddy said: the players are teenagers. As such, anything can happen on any given night. That is why they play the games on the court and not on paper. All that said, region 8 is historically weak and region 7 without White River would be just as weak ..... if not weaker.
West river doesn't have all the towns close together where they they have a couple/few school options. Very few will play college ball. To get any pickier than round of 16 would be a bit much.
fishingbuddy
Walk On
Walk On

Postby fishingbuddy » March 8th, 2020, 6:03 pm

ihateduke wrote:
Timber Lake actually got 5th that year after defeating Langford and Canistota. They also had eventual state champion Sully Buttes tied with about 3 minutes to go in the opening round.
Thank you for the correction. I couldn't remember for sure - just that a couple on here had to backtrack their comments that region 8 would be guaranteed 8th place and shouldn't be there.
ihateduke
Walk On
Walk On

Postby ihateduke » March 8th, 2020, 8:24 pm

John Deere Jockey wrote:
March 8th, 2020, 4:27 pm
ihateduke wrote:
Clark Willow Lake won B last year ...... right?
Yes, they certainly did, I was referring to the 2018 tourny.
ihateduke
Walk On
Walk On

Postby ihateduke » March 10th, 2020, 9:01 pm

John Deere Jockey wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 11:22 am
My opinion on Region 8: any two of the top 4 teams could make the Dakota 16. The two teams that matchup against the Region 8 Dak 16 teams will have the easiest path to Aberdeen.
Might get an argument from Marty and Coach Cutler on that one. Region 8 teams not elite, but better than most give them credit for.
ihateduke
Walk On
Walk On

Postby ihateduke » March 10th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Cletus wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 9:59 pm
bOOm wrote:
February 29th, 2020, 11:27 pm
I could actually see the double upset happen in region 4 . No hating on either Hanson or Howard, both worthy state tournament teams, but wouldn't surprise me to see Ethan and DRSM come out of that region with the results from past close games with probable opponents. Region 4 will be a tough one for sure!
Few other regions with possible upsets are #6 with either Gregory or Burke taking out PG. Had highly contested games earlier in the year. Region 8 had Lemmon and Faith at the 4 vs 1 splitting on the year. And region 2 with Potter Co losing to Sully in OT. Really don't see any of the other top of the region teams having that much of a reasonable chance getting knocked off.

This year, in class B, you certainly can't count your chickens before they hatch...
Region 4.... Ethan's only chance against Hanson is if they can outrebound them & that is not going to happen. This is not a good match-up for Ethan. St. Mary's sure can beat Howard & I will be interested to see how the Tigers play when a birth in the sweet 16 is on the line. I'm a fan & they look good on paper, but I think they may be missing something. I agree with Region 2 being fairly balanced & Sully could go down. Region 8 has me convinced that there is a better way to get the best teams to the Sweet 16. I don't think Faith, Harding County or Lemmon could get out of any other region & I know Faith got handled by Bridgewater-Emery who is .500. The top seeded teams are all looking to draw whomever comes out of this region as a sure fire pass to the state tournament. Play each region down to 4 teams & then re-seed 1-32. Region 6...Platte-Geddes in my opinion can make the state semi's. I really don't think either Burke or Gregory can pull the upset.
Marty and Coach Cutler might disagree with your assessment of region 8 after tonight...better teams than most in the state give them credit for.
Cletus
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Cletus » March 10th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Yes, for sure! Congrats to Faith & all the teams that made it to the state tourney's it was a fun night of Basketball for sure.
Bballfanatic1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bballfanatic1 » March 11th, 2020, 10:31 am

Thoughts:
Desmet rolled last night; Colman-egan just does not have enough help outside of Voelker. Garry as consistent as anybody.
Aberdeen Christian got a favorable matchup vs Warner. it will get much tougher with Canistota next week as Canistota will have time to review film and will be able to guard Aberdeen Christian better than anybody has so far. Rohrbach is solid and Isakson is a really good young player
Viborg looks good when healthy!! ELB was no match for them.
Platte Geddes had their hands full last night, but now that they are in the tournament, look out!
White river also had a test with Lyman last night. Eldon finds a way
Congrats to Faith on the win over Marty. Marty should be in the tournament, but late in the game they just don't understand the game flow like a lot of teams out there (Crow Creek girls for example the night before). the shot clock was basically off with Marty up 1 last night and they drive into three guys and throw something up when they can just hold the ball for the remaining time and wait for fouls. it just was an open gym and it ended up costing them. Kudos to Faith for hanging in there though; they will have difficulty scoring against Desmet next Week!
Canistota vs Arlington was really fun. not sure if Arlington had a timeout left or not late in the ball game, but they didn't get a great look. Canistota has a chance to win it next week.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

What a great post season thus far for Class B! Once again the toughest class to get to the tourney in SD. No question about that. This year was extremely tough road for many. Kudos to those that did survive and advanced. Not easy in Class B. So many worthy teams out of the 83 that are eligible. Hoping for a great tourney in Aberdeen next weekend!