State Boys Tourney next week? Will it happen?

Discuss Boys Basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

coachwatch
Starter
Starter

State Boys Tourney next week? Will it happen?

Postby coachwatch » March 12th, 2020, 10:26 am

All the major D1 conferences have called off their tourneys, State of California just called off their HS State tourneys. Does the State of SD follow suit or maybe just open it up to family only. I think something happens just not sure what. Feel terrible for the kids, schools, coaches, parents (Ex. Aberdeen Christian) that might not get this experience. Time will tell.

What do you guys think happens?
cornhusker78
Walk On
Walk On

Re: State Boys Tourney next week? Will it happen?

Postby cornhusker78 » March 12th, 2020, 11:15 am

Minnesota and Iowa i think are playing theirs Girls on so far See how that goes Think they should play em and use common sense Not many coming from out of state like big tournaments If can't go people won't stay home anyway
Cletus
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Cletus » March 12th, 2020, 11:24 am

This is an extremely delicate issue. "Not many coming from out of state like big tournaments" has nothing to do with this. These are the biggest tournaments our state has to offer & the virus is in our state. I'm glad I'm not on the SDHSAA.
moon30
Walk On
Walk On

Postby moon30 » March 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Since they are following through with the B girls tournament it'd only be fair to play the rest of them without restrictions, assuming the situation doesn't escalate
Curryfan_3
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Curryfan_3 » March 12th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Play the Games! Let people decide if they want to come or not!
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 12th, 2020, 1:37 pm

This doesn't sound good for the tourney next weekend. Just my opinion though.

Supt. Brian Maher on state hoops (full quote attached): “I tell you right now, I don't know that I'd necessarily be okay with our kids going and participating in that — in any capacity, even in a restricted fan environment.” #ArgusPreps #SDPreps
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 12th, 2020, 2:22 pm

The NCAA just announced that ALL winter sports, including both men’s and women’s national basketball tournaments, have been cancelled.
I would be shocked if the SDHSAA decided to play the boys tournaments next week. The girls B tournament is full speed ahead ..... for now.
moon30
Walk On
Walk On

Postby moon30 » March 12th, 2020, 4:00 pm

North Dakota is still playing their state tournament/tournaments this weekend. Appears to have a decent amount of spectators
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bOOm » March 12th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Girls tourney they are limiting the number of fans now for each game. Can't believe that some of these kids worked their tails off for some of them, most of their lives to have a trip to the state tournament possibly taken away.
ihateduke
Walk On
Walk On

Postby ihateduke » March 12th, 2020, 5:04 pm

With the restrictive ticket sales going on in Spearfish, only @125 tickets per team, no general sales I am afraid it doesn't bode well for fans like myself.
Trojan Head
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Trojan Head » March 13th, 2020, 7:17 am

Economics and public safety. SDHSAA won’t have the resources to rent the premiere center after Sioux Falls banned groups bigger than 250 people and they can state that the tournament is being cancelled out of concern for the public well being. No tournament is my opinion
Any day playing golf is a day better than work
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 13th, 2020, 7:42 am

Not looking good with the Premier news yesterday. If they cancel the AA, I think they have to follow suit with the B's and A's.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 13th, 2020, 8:52 am

With every other major tourney being canceled, i would be very surprised to see them put on next week. Just too much risk for those involved. Just my opinion though. Very tough for the kids, coaches, schools. But probably the smart thing to do. In the end it is a game and one that we are very passionate about.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 13th, 2020, 9:48 am

The latest from SD Hoops on state tourneys throughout the country: As of 10:47 am on 3/13.

Here's the latest on state HS BB tournaments.
Canceled (11): CA, CO, CT, IL, KS, MA, NJ, OR, VA, WI, WY
Post./Susp. (15): AL, AR, AK, DE, KY, MD, MI, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, TN, TX, VT, WV
Fan Limits (12): IN, IA, LA, MN, MO, NE, NH, NM, ND, RI, SD
No Limit (1): MT
Rest are complete.

Add MN onto the Canceled list as of 11:00 am CST on the 3/13th. Canceling all remaining girls games and boys.
Trojan Head
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Trojan Head » March 13th, 2020, 11:44 am

And BOOM!!! There goes the dynamite. All schools are closed for one week. SDHSAA will inevitably follow the lead
Any day playing golf is a day better than work
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 13th, 2020, 11:46 am

Tough deal. Says postponed, but not sure how in the world they could delay a few weeks and then play. Would be so hard. I am just assuming they will be canceled.
John Deere Jockey
All-Star
All-Star

Postby John Deere Jockey » March 13th, 2020, 3:21 pm

Governor Noem requested that the girls B tournament be postponed as well as all the boys and girls tournaments scheduled for next week.
SBSP20
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SBSP20 » March 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm

if they cancel basketball all spring sports will have to go as well. if you cancel basketball when there are 8 cases of corona virus how can you have a state meet in golf, track or anything else when at that time we will have 108 or 208 or 308 cases?? i think there could be a potential for a lawsuit
bOOm
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bOOm » March 13th, 2020, 8:51 pm

With the schools being closed, the teams can't practice. If they take a whole week of practice off, how good will the competition be if the restart in say 2-3 weeks? They will all be getting out of the groove by then... As much as I would love to see them just have a postponement, cancellation may be the best option at that point. Hopefully they can give some sort of answers in the next week as to when they think would be a possibility of playing, but I'm sure they don't even know at this point.
coachwatch
Starter
Starter

Postby coachwatch » March 14th, 2020, 7:37 am

I just can't see how a couple of weeks off and then having the state tourney games. Just don't see that as a viable option. Just an unbelievable 2020 season this has been. Not a betting man but I saw less than 10% chance of the tourneys happening.