Discuss girls basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

AA Region/State

Postby lynxfan » February 26th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Need some AA talk on here.

Who's going to take the AA title? Seems like it's Aberdeen at top of the heap and then 4-5 others that will compete this year and could be any of them challenging.

For my Lynx, I feel they've under-performed at times and will put things together in the coming weeks and have a strong showing. Lots of talent and speed there if not a real big team with a good future.

Burckhard is good and fun to watch. Glad she's made the good choice to become a Rabbit (I believe that's correct)! Lincoln, Harrisburg will be strong. Don't know much about RC teams - is Stevens a competitor still? Good record but have injuries taken a toll?

Where are the AA posters!?
Voltaire
Walk On
Walk On

Re: AA Region/State

Postby Voltaire » February 26th, 2018, 9:42 pm

BV has a good shot to compete. I also really like Aberdeen Central. Their bigs and not just Payton are really, really good. RC Stevens girls are very athletic.
MachOne
Rookie
Rookie

Postby MachOne » March 11th, 2018, 7:38 pm

I haven't seen RC Stevens play this year but they have Elizabeth Schafer on their team and I believe she is the best female athlete in the state right now. She wins multiple races at the state track meet each year, is a volleyball star, and is probably a basketball star as well. Her dad is Troy Schafer and her brother is Steven Schafer of Augustana basketball and the former SD Mr. Basketball.

This should be a very competitive state tournament. A handful of teams have a great shot. I'm going to pick Lincoln..... but who knows!!
ringthebells
Starter
Starter

Postby ringthebells » March 11th, 2018, 9:02 pm

I'll take Aberdeen, but not confidently. There are several teams that could hoist the trophy. It should be a great tourney.
Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.
gruper19
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby gruper19 » March 12th, 2018, 4:25 pm

MachOne wrote:I haven't seen RC Stevens play this year but they have Elizabeth Schafer on their team and I believe she is the best female athlete in the state right now. She wins multiple races at the state track meet each year, is a volleyball star, and is probably a basketball star as well. Her dad is Troy Schafer and her brother is Steven Schafer of Augustana basketball and the former SD Mr. Basketball.

This should be a very competitive state tournament. A handful of teams have a great shot. I'm going to pick Lincoln..... but who knows!!

Elizabeth is a good basketball player, and A+ defender. But it is her 3rd best sport. She is not the best player on their team, that status is held by Kyah Watson. She is really good and only a sophomore. I had posted earlier that I thought the mid-season injuries to Hendry and Martin might have derailed Stevens chances to win the state title. I now think I was wrong. They have had enough time without them to make adjustments on both ends. Credit goes to both the girls and Coach Brooks. If they can get by Harrisburg, a team they have not seen, I think they will beat Lincoln and potentially win the whole stinking thing.
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » March 16th, 2018, 7:46 am

Final 4 - BV/Aberdeen and Lincoln/Harrisburg.

BV didn't play all that well last night but did enough to get it done. They'll need to make some of the shots they missed today to get by Aberdeen. Lots of lay-ups didn't find the mark. I think it's doable and maybe I'm the homer but I'll call it a near toss-up with a slight edge to them because of their big girl. BV has a hard time matching up with that strong of a 5 and will need to double her. If Aberdeen's supporting cast is on they will do well.

On the other side I give Lincoln the edge and my sense is they will take it all. BV had all kinds of trouble with their press this year so unless the coaching staff has spent some considerable time improving that Lincoln is in the drivers seat if they play BV.

Looking forward to this afternoon!
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » March 18th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Fun tournament - didn’t turn out as I’d hoped but enjoyed watching the girls play.

Anyone see the Aberdeen - BV game? Came down to the wire and could have gone either way. Aberdeen is strong and that won out in the end. Now I can root for Burckhard with the Jacks...that will be a welcome change. She has a way of landing big shots.
Einsteinbball
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Einsteinbball » March 19th, 2018, 8:25 am

Congrats to the Aberdeen Central Eagles on their state tournament win! These girls have now won 2 state basketball championships and 1 state volleyball championship in their 4 years of high school athletics. That is quite an accomplishment! These girls will definitely be missed next year. Also, cograts to Paiton Burckhard on winning the Gatorade Player of the year for South Dakota!!