2018-2019 Season - AA

Discuss girls basketball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

2018-2019 Season - AA

Postby lynxfan » November 12th, 2018, 8:43 am

With the end of the Volleyball season in sight, bball practice is just around the corner.

Who are the AA teams to beat this year?

BV will look an awful lot like last season at least to start having lost just one senior. I expect them to be there at the end of the season again with a large senior class of experienced players. There's some younger talent there as well that could push for time and help off the bench.

Who else is strong this year?
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: 2018-2019 Season - AA

Postby lynxfan » January 15th, 2019, 11:33 am

http://espn991.com/south-dakota-prep-me ... y-14-2019/

Brandon v Harrisburg tonight. Should be a good one.

BV started strong this year but has not impressed of late. Tons of talent just need to figure out how to use it all. Hard to put a finger on but something has fallen off since the break - they just have not played well and have not played together against some teams that are struggling. They're fortunate to have just one loss. Second half of the Watertown game something sparked and I honestly think it's as simple as the girls started making that extra pass. They outscored the Arrows 26-9 or something in the 3rd quarter. A little less individual play and sharing the ball to improve the shot made a big difference. Had a soph step up and have a really nice 7 or 8 minute run in the 3rd quarter there as well on both sides of the ball. More of that to come I think.

Oh - #30 for Watertown is a nice player. Don't know the final stats but I'm thinking she had more than half of the Arrows points.

BV will need to maintain the team type play tonight or it could get ugly.
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » February 12th, 2019, 11:22 am

Not a lot of AA girls bball discussion here. That's too bad because there's some good ball being played and the state tourney could go in a lot of different directions I think.

It looks like there are 5 teams who could make a play for it and hard to argue for one over the next. OG might be a shade above (the Ronsiek effect) .....but if the others can play like they're capable, who knows. Lincoln has been charging hard fueled by some last second win adrenaline; Brookings has some impressive wins mixed in with a stinker or two; and Harrisburg is right there also.

BV in a nutshell: when they make that extra pass to improve the look, things go well. But too often a good pass is ignored for a poor shot and the results are predictable.

Give them credit, they've been playing well of late and I have high hopes for the remainder of the season. If I could tell them all one thing I'd say - TRUST EACH ONE OF YOUR TEAMMATES! You have a deep bench and each of those girls are perfectly capable of getting the job done. Don't take on all the pressure yourself, share the load and go win a state championship - together.

BV closes out the regular season at home - Watertown (a win will cement the ESD championship); Douglas and St Thomas Moore (should be a fun one).
ringthebells
Starter
Starter

Postby ringthebells » February 14th, 2019, 10:29 am

I agree lynxfan. When the crazy highlight reel attempted drive gives way to a few passes and a good shot, the Lynx can play with anyone. Defensively, they are crazy good. I have really liked the times they put on a full court press. Sooooo athletic. Go Lynx!!
Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » February 14th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Yea.....if there are 3 girls in the opposing teams' colors in your way on a drive to the hoop, two bright light bulbs should go on in your head:

1 - If I continue with the ball in my hands on this path I'm going to get called for a charge
2 - There are 2 other girls open with uncontested (and often closer) shots

Dish the ball.

The other frustrating scenario is on a contested fast-break. The same girl who starts it, too often ends it.....and poorly....use the numbers advantage! Drive and dish!

I think they're learning and it has improved. But sometimes the go-it-alone-approach still creeps back in.

Trust your team-mates. Share the ball. Win. There's the recipe, just add water.