2018 rankings/predictions

Discuss Volleyball here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » August 14th, 2018, 7:47 am

Below are the pre season rankings. Little surprised with the 'A' ranks (maybe thats my bias towards my home team but only losing one starter seems odd that MCM, SV, or Dells would be higher). B ranks look good, top three and everyone else chasing them as usual.

CLASS AA

R.C. Stevens (14) 28-10 83 4
S.F. Washington (3) 22-14 64 NR
O'Gorman 18-17 36 5
Watertown 16-9 31 RV
Mitchell 21-6 30 2
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: Harrisburg (23-1, 1 first place vote, No. 1 in final 2017 poll) 17; S.F. Roosevelt (12-20) 5; Aberdeen Central (17-7, No. 3 in final 2017 poll) 2; Huron (16-11) 1

CLASS A

S.F. Christian (17) 30-2 89 1
Miller (1) 26-7 53 5
Dakota Valley 28-4 44 2
McCook Central-Montrose 21-10 39 NR
Dell Rapids 19-10 20 NR
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: Madison (27-5, No. 3 in final 2017 poll) 14; Winner (19-10) 6; Sioux Valley (26-6) 3; Belle Fourche (25-5) 2

NOTE: Parker, No. 4 in the final 2017 poll, did not receive any votes

CLASS B

Northwestern (17) 36-1 89 1
Warner (1) 30-5 63 2
Chester Area 27-5 59 3
Ethan 21-4 18 RV
Philip 26-2 14 5
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES: Hanson (27-3, No. 4 in final 2017 poll) 6; Arlington (21-10) 4; Burke (29-7) 4; Deubrook (26-9) 4; Herreid-Selby Area (26-4) 4; Faith (18-14) 3; Faulkton (17-10) 1
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » August 27th, 2018, 8:56 pm

Second poll, still a little confused on the 'A' rankings....SFC is a no doubter, but Dells and Miller, not sold on that.... B's look good

CLASS AA

1. R.C. Stevens (19) 2-0 99 1

2. S.F. Washington (1) 4-1 75 2

3. O'Gorman 3-1 49 3

4. S.F. Roosevelt 2-0 46 RV

5. Mitchell 3-1 20 5

RECEIVING VOTES: Huron (4-0) 8, Watertown (2-3) 3

CLASS A

1. S.F. Christian (20) 5-0 100 1

2. Dell Rapids 5-0 57 5

3. Miller 4-1 50 2

4. Dakota Valley 1-1 47 3

5. Winner 2-0 33 RV

RECEIVING VOTES: Parker (2-0) 5, McCook Central-Montrose (2-3) 4, Wagner (4-1) 3, Madison (1-1) 1

CLASS B

1. Northwestern (20) 6-0 100 1

2. Warner 3-0 79 2

3. Chester Area 1-0 61 3

4. Ethan 0-0 35 4

5. Philip 1-0 19 5

RECEIVING VOTES: Burke (1-0) 2, Arlington (1-3) 1, Deubrook Area (1-0) 1, Waverly-South Shore (5-0) 1, Wall (2-0) 1
62stack
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 7:59 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby 62stack » August 28th, 2018, 10:45 am

Miller has the best player in the state i'm sure they'll be fine, Arlington is 1-3 receiving votes, ridiculous
And waverly lost to Langford last night so not sure how good they are. Deubrook is absolutely a top 5 team
and would sweep Philip. Outside of Parker nobody on the A receiving votes list should be there. They should wait a month to put out a poll, and then get someone who actually pays attention to do it
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » August 28th, 2018, 2:00 pm

62stack wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 10:45 am
Miller has the best player in the state i'm sure they'll be fine, Arlington is 1-3 receiving votes, ridiculous
And waverly lost to Langford last night so not sure how good they are. Deubrook is absolutely a top 5 team
and would sweep Philip. Outside of Parker nobody on the A receiving votes list should be there. They should wait a month to put out a poll, and then get someone who actually pays attention to do it
Miller beat Parker in five sets last season for 7th place. They do return their stud, but if memory serves they lost a few starters off that team. Dells, how they can be ranked that high I don't understand, havent seen them, but I believe they play SFC soon so maybe we will see what they are made of. Parker lost one starter of last year's team. In the B's its the usual race of the top three with everyone else chasing. I don't seen any of the teams below Chester beating the top three, could be wrong but hasn't happened in several years...at least not in the state tournament
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » August 29th, 2018, 5:08 am

Dells goes down to unranked EPJ and MCM upsets Chester. Some good matches last night.
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » August 30th, 2018, 8:58 pm

MCM over Parker 3-2. MCM is really solid excellent setter and two great outside hitters. Taking out both Chester and Parker in same week is quite accomplishment in the BEC conference.
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » September 4th, 2018, 9:16 pm

This week....In the A's MCM and Elk Point need to move up. Miller and Dells down.


SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Here is the South Dakota Prep Media Volleyball poll for the week of Sept. 3, 2018. Teams are listed with first place votes in parenthesis, record, points and previous ranking.

NOTE: The poll was pushed back a day due to the Labor Day holiday. it will return to Mondays next week.

CLASS AA

1. R.C. Stevens (16) 8-0 80 1

2. S.F. Washington 5-1 63 2

3. O'Gorman 6-1 47 3

4. Mitchell 4-1 23 5

5. S.F. Roosevelt 3-1 21 4

RECEIVING VOTES: Huron (5-1) 5, Aberdeen Central (3-1) 1

CLASS A

1. S.F. Christian (16) 5-0 80 1

2. Winner 5-0 53 5

3. Miller 5-1 51 3

4. Dell Rapids 5-2 16 2

t5. Dakota Valley 2-2 10 4

t5. Elk Point-Jefferson 3-0 10 NR

RECEIVING VOTES: Parker (3-1) 6, Wagner (5-1) 6, McCook Central-Montrose (6-2) 4

CLASS B

1. Northwestern (16) 8-0 80 1

2. Warner 5-0 64 2

3. Ethan 2-0 40 4

4. Chester Area 1-1 28 3

5. Philip 2-0 22 5

RECEIVING VOTES: Wall (4-0) 3, Burke (2-1) 1, Arlington (3-3) 1, Herreid-Selby Area (7-0) 1
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm

MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
dtfranck
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 5
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 4:44 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby dtfranck » September 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm

PheasantFaN wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm
MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
Northwestern also downed Warner in 5 sets on Thursday.
SD Sports NE
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 95
Joined: December 30th, 2014, 1:21 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby SD Sports NE » September 11th, 2018, 11:34 pm

Had an open night so had to make a call between heading west to Miller or south to Salem. Since Salem was a little closer on a Tuesday went to see SFC and MCM. Just saw Miller won in a 5 set thriller so maybe went the wrong direction. :)

As for the game honestly, it was kind of sloppy. I did see that the SF setter was in a sling so that may have been part of it, but still going to be hard to beat SFC with #2 Van Egdom on the court. She was everywhere all match long digging SFC out of hole after hole. In Game 4 she served the last 10+ consecutive points (lost count) to win the match (she has a wicked spinning jump serve) either aceing or sending MCM scrambling out of system point after point. I would guess around 20 kills and rarely a serve receive (my guess is she handles 90%+ of them for SFC) or dig error to boot. I can see why some around here say she may be the best overall player in the state. Their other six rotation player is #3 Glanzer and down the road she has a chance to be a good player as well, but it looks like the Chargers will go where #2 Van Egdom takes them.

For MCM, their setter #10 Bies had a nice game as did their middle #16 Van Ruler. They gave SFC all they could handle! For 6'3" or so Van Ruler moves very well and has nice hands. They are a very scrappy team that digs and passes very well and based on the games I've seen this year have to be a Top 5 level team in Class A, right along with SFC, Winner and Miller. MCM you should be proud of your crowd. Great atmosphere and lots of positive noise and energy! Awesome to see on a Tuesday night at a SD VB game! Kudos!
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 214
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby Team Player 2 » September 13th, 2018, 9:55 am

PheasantFaN wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm
MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
Northwestern and Warner have historically gone to tournaments and played and beaten the best teams in Class A. They rarely lose to Class A team. Kudos for stepping up their schedule is not needed. Didn't NW already beat MCM early in the season? Am I wrong on that?

I heard NW lost to Miller at Miller in a 5 setter the other night. Interesting considering Warner beat Miller in 3. Anybody know how NW managed to lose that game?

I also heard that NW is scheduled to play Rapid City Stevens at a tournament later this season. Is that true? That's going to be too much for NW to handle. Stevens will win that easily.
62stack
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 7:59 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby 62stack » September 13th, 2018, 10:59 am

Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 9:55 am
PheasantFaN wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm
MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
Northwestern and Warner have historically gone to tournaments and played and beaten the best teams in Class A. They rarely lose to Class A team. Kudos for stepping up their schedule is not needed. Didn't NW already beat MCM early in the season? Am I wrong on that?

I heard NW lost to Miller at Miller in a 5 setter the other night. Interesting considering Warner beat Miller in 3. Anybody know how NW managed to lose that game?

I also heard that NW is scheduled to play Rapid City Stevens at a tournament later this season. Is that true? That's going to be too much for NW to handle. Stevens will win that easily.
They play rapid city central, and parker in their pool at the pentagon invite, actually the weakest pool draw there if you look at it. All other 3 pools look way tougher, heard they were up 13-9 in 5th set im sure fernholz took over, she can be unstoppable when she has to be
PheasantFaN
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 129
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 1:04 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby PheasantFaN » September 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 9:55 am
PheasantFaN wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm
MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
Northwestern and Warner have historically gone to tournaments and played and beaten the best teams in Class A. They rarely lose to Class A team. Kudos for stepping up their schedule is not needed. Didn't NW already beat MCM early in the season? Am I wrong on that?

I heard NW lost to Miller at Miller in a 5 setter the other night. Interesting considering Warner beat Miller in 3. Anybody know how NW managed to lose that game?

I also heard that NW is scheduled to play Rapid City Stevens at a tournament later this season. Is that true? That's going to be too much for NW to handle. Stevens will win that easily.
TP2, I simply meant to give kudos to NW for obviously dropping a team that was probably closer to them and making the drive to Madison who is one of the biggest 'A' schools. I realize they rarely lose to 'A' teams. NW is in the same pool as Parker and Rapid City Central next weekend in Sioux Falls.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 214
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby Team Player 2 » September 13th, 2018, 1:37 pm

62stack wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:59 am
Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 9:55 am
PheasantFaN wrote:
September 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm
MCM over Chester to win the BEC tournament from what I saw online. MCM is a top five team, probably top three they are on a tear right now. Arlington also had a good day at their tournament. Northwestern over Madison, kudos to them for stepping up their schedule, one of the smaller B schools over one of the bigger A schools.
Northwestern and Warner have historically gone to tournaments and played and beaten the best teams in Class A. They rarely lose to Class A team. Kudos for stepping up their schedule is not needed. Didn't NW already beat MCM early in the season? Am I wrong on that?

I heard NW lost to Miller at Miller in a 5 setter the other night. Interesting considering Warner beat Miller in 3. Anybody know how NW managed to lose that game?

I also heard that NW is scheduled to play Rapid City Stevens at a tournament later this season. Is that true? That's going to be too much for NW to handle. Stevens will win that easily.
They play rapid city central, and parker in their pool at the pentagon invite, actually the weakest pool draw there if you look at it. All other 3 pools look way tougher, heard they were up 13-9 in 5th set im sure fernholz took over, she can be unstoppable when she has to be
Thanks for the info. I realize Fernholz is good, but players like that don't usually beat NW by themselves. Surprising that happened as Warner beat them in 3.

What are the other pool draws in Sioux Falls? NW might be able to play with RCC and they will beat Parker. I'm surprised they wouldn't put NW up against some of the tougher teams.
dtfranck
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 5
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 4:44 pm

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby dtfranck » September 13th, 2018, 3:41 pm

Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:37 pm
62stack wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:59 am
Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 9:55 am


Northwestern and Warner have historically gone to tournaments and played and beaten the best teams in Class A. They rarely lose to Class A team. Kudos for stepping up their schedule is not needed. Didn't NW already beat MCM early in the season? Am I wrong on that?

I heard NW lost to Miller at Miller in a 5 setter the other night. Interesting considering Warner beat Miller in 3. Anybody know how NW managed to lose that game?

I also heard that NW is scheduled to play Rapid City Stevens at a tournament later this season. Is that true? That's going to be too much for NW to handle. Stevens will win that easily.
They play rapid city central, and parker in their pool at the pentagon invite, actually the weakest pool draw there if you look at it. All other 3 pools look way tougher, heard they were up 13-9 in 5th set im sure fernholz took over, she can be unstoppable when she has to be
Thanks for the info. I realize Fernholz is good, but players like that don't usually beat NW by themselves. Surprising that happened as Warner beat them in 3.

What are the other pool draws in Sioux Falls? NW might be able to play with RCC and they will beat Parker. I'm surprised they wouldn't put NW up against some of the tougher teams.
See the link for pools at the Pentagon tourney: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/news_ar ... how/948008.

Also, NW now plays Warner just once during the regular season, so they were able to add the game against Madison this year.

As far as Miller goes, they are a great team. Warner also played them at home so I'm sure that helped. I think the NW/Miller game would've had a different outcome if the game was played at NW. Fernholz had 33 kills and hit 0.569 in the NW match. NW actually hit a better percentage as a team than Miller, but seems as though they just couldn't dig Fernholz.
62stack
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 96
Joined: November 7th, 2013, 7:59 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby 62stack » September 17th, 2018, 2:40 pm

dtfranck wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 3:41 pm
Team Player 2 wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 1:37 pm
62stack wrote:
September 13th, 2018, 10:59 am

They play rapid city central, and parker in their pool at the pentagon invite, actually the weakest pool draw there if you look at it. All other 3 pools look way tougher, heard they were up 13-9 in 5th set im sure fernholz took over, she can be unstoppable when she has to be
Thanks for the info. I realize Fernholz is good, but players like that don't usually beat NW by themselves. Surprising that happened as Warner beat them in 3.

What are the other pool draws in Sioux Falls? NW might be able to play with RCC and they will beat Parker. I'm surprised they wouldn't put NW up against some of the tougher teams.
See the link for pools at the Pentagon tourney: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/news_ar ... how/948008.

Also, NW now plays Warner just once during the regular season, so they were able to add the game against Madison this year.

As far as Miller goes, they are a great team. Warner also played them at home so I'm sure that helped. I think the NW/Miller game would've had a different outcome if the game was played at NW. Fernholz had 33 kills and hit 0.569 in the NW match. NW actually hit a better percentage as a team than Miller, but seems as though they just couldn't dig Fernholz.
Im sure warner thinks they beat NW at home too, I ve watched most of the top teams this year and its a great year, Warner can beat NW, Chester could beat warner and ethan might beat chester, but the champ is coming from those 4 because its a pretty big drop after that. I was totally wrong duebrook is not a top 5 team, and arlington is pretty good. I think NW beats RCC at pentagon but you know 1 of the iowa teams will roll everyone
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 214
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2018 rankings/predictions

Postby Team Player 2 » September 18th, 2018, 2:32 pm

I see NW won another tourney easily over the weekend. Easily beat Parker in the chip. Heck, they easily beat each team they faced. Warner also won a tourney over the weekend. Not quite as easily as Chester gave them a run. The state championship will come from NW or Warner again this year. I don't see anybody beating them on a neutral court. Chester had their chance this past weekend and failed. I believe facing NW and Warner the 2nd or 3rd time in a season is an exercise in futility. Once they see you and know what you do, you can't stop them.

I would like to know what goes on in Iowa. Seems like every year they have a powerhouse team that cleans up at the Pentagon. NW and Warner are as good as it gets in SD and it seems the Iowa team(s) are way above them.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest