Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby wrestler138 » January 30th, 2012, 8:12 pm

I agree. If he gets in school at Harvard. Good for him.
LP - that is all you should have said in the first place!!
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 8:40 pm

You guys are awfully sensitive. Volesky's not going to play at Harvard. LP's not saying anything out of line by pointing out a simple fact.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 30th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Any bets redchillipepper and wrestler won't be disturbed or outraged because you said it Birdman.
Does a butterfly sing.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 30th, 2012, 8:47 pm

So Birdman says Volesky is not going to play at Harvard, thats it Tucker, give up your dream now, the Birdman has spoken. You guys are unreal!
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

More power to him if he uses message board doubters as fuel to walk on at a Top 25 program and crack the rotation.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

wrestler138 wrote:So Birdman says Volesky is not going to play at Harvard, thats it Tucker, give up your dream now, the Birdman has spoken. You guys are unreal!
Just to make sure you put on a good show....you will need to go back and cover yourself by adding in all the other ones who said it too.
Does a butterfly sing.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 30th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Any bets redchillipepper and wrestler won't be disturbed or outraged because you said it Birdman.
I never was outraged....just think it is wrong! And as you pointed out, you are 51 and Tucker is 18. My point is simple, stop naming these kids by name and stating what they cant do! There have been many kids who were not big stars in High School who ended up having terrific college careers.

And LP, stop being so defensive!
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 8:53 pm

wrestler138 wrote:
I never was outraged....just think it is wrong! And as you pointed out, you are 51 and Tucker is 18. My point is simple, stop naming these kids by name and stating what they cant do! There have been many kids who were not big stars in High School who ended up having terrific college careers.

And LP, stop being so defensive!
There will be people everywhere who say you can't do things and doubt your ability to succeed. Better to come to grips with it at 18 instead of everybody blowing smoke up your ass and telling you life is all rainbows and unicorns.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 30th, 2012, 8:56 pm

There will be people everywhere who say you can't do things and doubt your ability to succeed. Better to come to grips with it at 18 then to have everybody blowing smoke up your ass and telling you life is all rainbows and unicorns.
Wow, so Bridman you think Tucker needs to come to grips with words from you? I think you are the one that needs to come to grips. He doesnt need to do anything but push forward and be the best he can be. Do you know this kid? I mean really know him? Thank god more young people dont think the way you do. unreal!
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I hope the kid has an adult in his life who has told him that he's not going to play Division I basketball. Be the best you can be. I agree. But don't set yourself up for failure. I just hope he has some rational adult guidance because he's not a Division I basketball player. It's not being mean, it's just the truth. There are all sorts of kids who "dream" of playing for a Top 25 NCAA program, but that doesn't mean it's any more realistic than "dreaming" about winning the lottery.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 9:19 pm

I'm a long way from an LP defender but I hardly feel like it's "bashing" a kid to say that he's not going to play basketball for the current No. 23-ranked Division I program in the country.
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » January 30th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Birdman wrote:I'm a long way from an LP defender but I hardly feel like it's "bashing" a kid to say that he's not going to play basketball for the current No. 23-ranked Division I program in the country.

And I'm agreeing with the Bird!(Hardly happens) LP never said Volesky isn't a nice basketball player from South Dakota. But it is a stretch him playing D1. Maybe Tuckers dream is to become a Lawyer! Now there is a great reason to attend Harvard!!
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 30th, 2012, 10:07 pm

I hope the kid has an adult in his life who has told him that he's not going to play Division I basketball. Be the best you can be. I agree. But don't set yourself up for failure. I just hope he has some rational adult guidance because he's not a Division I basketball player. It's not being mean, it's just the truth. There are all sorts of kids who "dream" of playing for a Top 25 NCAA program, but that doesn't mean it's any more realistic than "dreaming" about winning the lottery.
Birdman, I dont know you and have no problems with you except on this issue. Let his parents tell him what they believe he needs to hear. They are his parents, not you! Maybe they chose to take the positive approach in saying "if your dream is to play for Harvard then go for it, give it your best". I don't know if you have kids or if they were involved in sports but if you chose to tell them they "can't" than that is your deserved right as a parent. Have some respect for these 17 & 18 year old kids. I really did not intend on getting a fire going but just think this type of posting is disrespectful and unnecessary. Thats all I got.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 30th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Fair enough. I certainly wish him nothing but the best, and I do believe he's a college basketball player. Just not necessarily at the level we're talking about.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 30th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Birdman wrote:Fair enough. I certainly wish him nothing but the best, and I do believe he's a college basketball player. Just not necessarily at the level we're talking about.
Funny. That's exactly what I think too.
Does a butterfly sing.
cuttysark

Postby cuttysark » January 31st, 2012, 1:37 pm

If I ask, name me a Division 1 Mens basketball team, who comes to mind? Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, & probably Kentucky would be the most popular answers. Then if I ask, name me a team in the Northeast ranked in the Top 25 most are probably going to name Syracuse, UConn, & Pittsburgh as the top answers. Then if I ask, name the best team in the Ivy League. Before you answer this, I'm in my mid 30's, so I'm going to remind you that Princeton beat UCLA in the NCAA's in like '95 or '96. I'm not one that pays very close attention to the polls, so I wouldn't have guessed Harvard with my 1st answer. When I think of Ivy League basketball, I think of Princeton or even Penn who had some good teams after that, not Harvard.
Ok, here's my point. Tucker didn't mention Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, or Kentucky as a school he'd like to try and play basketball at. He didn't mention a bottom of the pack Big East school. He mentioned Harvard. Yes, they are ranked 23rd, but until this year, you probably wouldn't even of thought about them when it came to basketball. Harvard is a great educational school. He said he'd like to play basketball. Good for him. If he doesn't at least try out for the team, he may regret it for the rest of his life.
As for Tommy Amaker, is he really a good coach? I don't have that answer, but he was at Michigan and didn't get much accomplished there. It does appear that he has the Harvard program going in the right direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Birdman, you said something about walking on at Top 25 Division 1 program. The Ivy Schools don't give athletic scholarships, do they? So Tucker has no choice but too walk on.

Good Luck Tucker. I wish I had your decision when I was 18. Do I go to Harvard or do I go to Harvard & try out for the team.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 31st, 2012, 3:20 pm

They do not offer athletic scholarships -- only financial aid -- but coaches do recruit players and help them get into school at lower admissions standards than what a normal student gets in on. It's not like everybody shows up for the first day of practice at Harvard as an equal "walk-on" because there are no athletic scholarships.

I know of two South Dakota kids off the top of my head who played Ivy League basketball -- Zach Finley and Boe Lintz -- and neither of them played for anything approaching what Harvard has going on right now. And to be honest, they were both better players than Volesky.

Like I said, best of luck to Tucker. It would be cool if he made the team. But the chances of him actually getting to "play" for Harvard are basically none.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On

Postby mj4046 » January 31st, 2012, 3:29 pm

Birdman wrote:They do not offer athletic scholarships -- only financial aid -- but coaches do recruit players and help them get into school at lower admissions standards than what a normal student gets in on. It's not like everybody shows up for the first day of practice at Harvard as an equal "walk-on" because there are no athletic scholarships.

I know of two South Dakota kids off the top of my head who played Ivy League basketball -- Zach Finley and Boe Lintz -- and neither of them played for anything approaching what Harvard has going on right now. And to be honest, they were both better players than Volesky.

Like I said, best of luck to Tucker. It would be cool if he made the team. But the chances of him actually getting to "play" for Harvard are basically none.
The coaches at Harvard have been in touch with Tucker...they've got his tapes, know he can shoot, and would like him on the team if he does get accepted.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 31st, 2012, 3:31 pm

You just can't help yourself can you Birdman? You wish him luck and slam him with "he has no chance"!
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 31st, 2012, 3:36 pm

He won't see the floor at Harvard. I'll be the first one on here to say congratulations and how much of an idiot ass---e I am if he does.
Last edited by Birdman on January 31st, 2012, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.