Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby wrestler138 » January 31st, 2012, 3:42 pm

I think those things of you now for saying them about an 18 year old kid on a public forum and not when or if he makes it.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » January 31st, 2012, 3:49 pm

Eighteen year olds aren't kids and if there weren't any doubters in the world nobody'd have any fuel to burn.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 31st, 2012, 3:58 pm

If that's how you choose to justify it, go with it. I give you credit for knowing the type of person you are! No hard feelings!

GOOD LUCK TUCKER!
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » January 31st, 2012, 4:33 pm

I don't understand why people are attacking Birdman and LP on this thread. I'm sorry wrestler but they are both right. Tucker is just simply not a D1 caliber player. He is essentially the same player as Sterling Nielsen from a year ago and he is now coming off the bench at the D3 level. No one is attacking your friend and bringing him down in anyway just simply telling it like it is. No hard feelings but thats the truth.
wrestler138
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wrestler138 » January 31st, 2012, 4:48 pm

I tap! You guys win
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » January 31st, 2012, 5:43 pm

He will start out at Harvard and then transfer to Yale. (Kinda like from Huron to Mitchell)... :twisted:
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 31st, 2012, 5:59 pm

uncfan23 wrote:I don't understand why people are attacking Birdman and LP on this thread. I'm sorry wrestler but they are both right. Tucker is just simply not a D1 caliber player. He is essentially the same player as Sterling Nielsen from a year ago and he is now coming off the bench at the D3 level. No one is attacking your friend and bringing him down in anyway just simply telling it like it is. No hard feelings but thats the truth.
Tucker is bigger. Tucker is a better shooter, although it's not like Sterling was a poor shooter...I would just give the edge to Tucker.

Sterling could get his own shot. Tucker can't. Sterling wasn't overly quick, but quicker than Tucker. Sterling also had better leaping ability...more athletic than Tucker.

Sterling was a better ball handler.....he wasn't a great ballhandler by any means...but Tucker is far from a ballhandler at all.

Both are 2 guards at the college level.

I have a hard time believing a 6'4" kid who is basically just a stand still shooter with little quickness, leaping ability (life in his legs) or ballhandling skills playing DI basketball.
Does a butterfly sing.
Frumpy
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Frumpy » January 31st, 2012, 9:19 pm

I would agree with LP and Birdman on this one. Good ball player and sounds like a smart kid. Just not a D-1 basketball player at this point.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On

Postby mj4046 » January 31st, 2012, 9:36 pm

I agree that Tucker isn't a D-1 player now, but these Ivy League schools aren't your typical D-1 schools. I could see him making the team, riding the pine for a few years, and contributing as an upper-classmen. And, as I've posted on the previous page, Harvard's coaching staff has been in contact with Tucker and have film on him. And, they really like how he shoots the ball. This isn't just coming out of nowhere, and to laugh about it like some here were was a little shallow.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 31st, 2012, 9:49 pm

Don't think anyone is laughing about it.

Just saying what they think.
Does a butterfly sing.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » January 31st, 2012, 11:22 pm

mj4046 wrote:I agree that Tucker isn't a D-1 player now, but these Ivy League schools aren't your typical D-1 schools. I could see him making the team, riding the pine for a few years, and contributing as an upper-classmen. And, as I've posted on the previous page, Harvard's coaching staff has been in contact with Tucker and have film on him. And, they really like how he shoots the ball. This isn't just coming out of nowhere, and to laugh about it like some here were was a little shallow.
Like LP said no one is laughing about it just stating an opinion.

The thing with Harvard though is that they are turning back into a "typical" D-1 program. Tommy Amaker is turning that program around and beginning to bring in big recruits.

Nothing against Tucker, but he is not a good enough ball player to play for Harvard.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On

Postby mj4046 » January 31st, 2012, 11:24 pm

uncfan23 wrote:
mj4046 wrote:I agree that Tucker isn't a D-1 player now, but these Ivy League schools aren't your typical D-1 schools. I could see him making the team, riding the pine for a few years, and contributing as an upper-classmen. And, as I've posted on the previous page, Harvard's coaching staff has been in contact with Tucker and have film on him. And, they really like how he shoots the ball. This isn't just coming out of nowhere, and to laugh about it like some here were was a little shallow.
Like LP said no one is laughing about it just stating an opinion.

The thing with Harvard though is that they are turning back into a "typical" D-1 program. Tommy Amaker is turning that program around and beginning to bring in big recruits.

Nothing against Tucker, but he is not a good enough ball player to play for Harvard.
Why do Harvard's coaches want him on the team then?

Harvard doesn't win by having the best athletes, they win by discipline, hard work, and solid defending. Tucker can do that.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » January 31st, 2012, 11:42 pm

Sorry MJ, but if you looked at LP's breakdown of Tucker (which is very good by the way), he is not quick enough or a good enough athlete to be guarding 6'6'' athletic shooting guards at the D-1 level.

Not trying to knock down your hometown boy, but he's no Mike Miller (who by the way played SG at that level).

And please do not talk about that being Florida and a different caliber program, Harvard is making a move up into a big time program in these next couple years just watch.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 31st, 2012, 11:46 pm

Do you know they want him on the team or are you just going by they want film, videotape...whatever you want to call it of him.

Because here is how I could see something like that going.

Kid applies to Harvard and says he wants to play basketball. Information that kid who applies to Harvard and wants to play basketball gets to coach. Coach asks assistants if they know this kid or have ever seen him play. They say no...coach says get some information on him. Assistants say...well it says here he's 6'4", made 1st team all state as a junior and averaged ?? per game.

Coach says well see if we can get tape on him. Coaching staff contacts Mitchell coaching staff for tape.

Doesn't mean anything really. Probably never heard of him before until he applied to Harvard and said he was a basketball player, so in order to see if they want him, they of course need something to look at.
Does a butterfly sing.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » January 31st, 2012, 11:51 pm

Very well put LP.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » January 31st, 2012, 11:54 pm

Let me put this another way. If Tucker Volesky is a DI basketball player....SD is swarming in DI players. And not to say he isn't a good player, but there are a lot of Tucker Volesky's out there.
Does a butterfly sing.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On

Postby mj4046 » February 1st, 2012, 1:07 am

I guess I don't know the specifics, Lp could be right. I just know that Harvard has looked at film on him, and they're interested. And I believe that Tucker could do this...He won't be a star there or anything, but I think he could find some time on the court if he sticks around and works hard. I guess I just believe in him.

And uncfan23, Mike Miller was one of the best collegiate players in the country back in the day. Lottery pick, rookie of the year, and best player on a Final Four teams. Comparing anyone coming out of high school to Mike Miller is a bit unfair. I don't know if South Dakota will ever see another Mike Miller.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » February 1st, 2012, 1:31 am

Totally agree with mj. Comparing anyone to Mike Miller is a fool's errand. He's an incomparable talent from SD. But if we do compare Volesky to the four commits Harvard has picked up for 2012 -- Agunwa Okolie, Mike Hall, Siyani Chambers and Evan Cummins -- there's a major difference. Comparing him to the four kids that have ACTUALLY COMMITTED to Harvard is almost as much of a fool's errand as comparing him to Miller. Not quite as much, but close. I'm not saying he won't ever get a uniform. He might someday. But he's not going to beat those four guys, or the current freshmen and sophs on the roster, for playing time anytime soon.
baseballguy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby baseballguy » February 1st, 2012, 7:31 am

If he gets into Harvard, I'll bet he makes the team. Not everyone on those teams is a high school All-American. Teams need players 9-12 too. Look at rosters around D-1, not just the players on the floor, but the rest of the guys on the team. SD kids are tough and fundamentally sound. If I'm a coach, I take a kid like that.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » February 1st, 2012, 9:00 am

Believe me, in no way was I comparing Tucker to Mike Miller. The point I was trying to make is that now-a-days there are many players at the caliber of Mike Miller that are recruited everyday to play SG at the D-1 level. My point being that with Harvard moving back into being a top program they are already recruiting kids at Miller's caliber.

Like LP said before this is probably just a coach that saw a kid put on his admission paper that he played high school basketball and they wanted to look him up.