Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

Go Govs
Starter
Starter

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby Go Govs » February 1st, 2012, 9:26 am

Is it just me, or does someone else have a burning desire to watch "Rudy" again?

Look guys - I'm sure Tucker is a nice kid, obviously bright too if he is applying to Harvard, but he is not a D1 player at any level of D1 basketball. He was maybe the 5th or 6th best player on the floor at Riggs last night. Pretty good measure in my opinion because there was at least 1 if not 2 or 3 D1 recruits playing in last night's game.......Tucker was not one of them.

He is a good player, he would most likely start on any team in SD this year, but please remove the rose colored glasses.
baseballguy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby baseballguy » February 1st, 2012, 10:45 am

Rudy is a true story.
Go Govs
Starter
Starter

Postby Go Govs » February 1st, 2012, 12:08 pm

Yeah, I know Rudy is a true story. Great story, great movie. But Rudy played exactly one series in one game. If that is Tucker's dream, by all means go for it. I think the whole point of this conversation has been that Tucker playing at Harvard is way outside of a longshot. I wish him the best and certainly hold no ill will towards the kid....just stating what I feel should be pretty obvious. D1 basketball is hard......top 25 D1 basketball is really hard. SD produces about 1 kid every 2 or 3 years that can play at that level.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » February 1st, 2012, 3:13 pm

Very well put Govs.

He might be a great kid and very smart but not a D-1 athlete.
baseballguy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby baseballguy » February 1st, 2012, 3:56 pm

You guys talk about "D-1" as if it's some enchanted land far, far away. You were probably among the naysayers that scoffed at SDSU and USD thinking they could ever compete in mighty D-1, you know, against schools like Minnesota and Iowa which are filled with kids from far, far away, like Minnesota and Iowa.
Go Govs
Starter
Starter

Postby Go Govs » February 1st, 2012, 4:25 pm

Quite frankly, I love that SDSU and USD are D1, but I also believe that this will make it harder for SD kids to make the rosters in the future. SDSU and USD have a long way to go to be a top level D1 program.

As far as Minnesota and Iowa go - I would expect they could find some talent within their borders. MN population is 5.3 million, IA is just over 3 million........SD 824,000.

Of course none of this has anything to do with the topic at hand......Tucker is probably not making the IA or MN roster either.
Birdman
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Birdman » February 1st, 2012, 4:33 pm

baseballguy wrote:You guys talk about "D-1" as if it's some enchanted land far, far away. You were probably among the naysayers that scoffed at SDSU and USD thinking they could ever compete in mighty D-1, you know, against schools like Minnesota and Iowa which are filled with kids from far, far away, like Minnesota and Iowa.
And you'd have a heck of an argument there if Volesky was being recruited by SDSU or USD, let alone Minnesota or Iowa.
76sixers
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 76sixers » February 1st, 2012, 4:41 pm

Hey guys, it may be time to get off the Tucker bashing parade! Who cares what your opinion is. Tucker is a very bright kid and if he has ambition to play D1 so be it......regardless if he does play D1 or not he is going to be a very successful adult. I realize how easy it is to sit behind your computers and doubt these young kids and tell everyone how they "cant" do this or how they "aren't that good", but at the end of the day, who are you to make these negative statements. Lets drop this, if you can! Thank you!
baseballguy
Rookie
Rookie

Postby baseballguy » February 1st, 2012, 5:10 pm

Wow, you guys have flexible minds. I bow to far greater wisdom. I should have never questioned whether the earth might not be flat.
Go Govs
Starter
Starter

Postby Go Govs » February 1st, 2012, 5:35 pm

76sixers - wasn't bashing Tucker. I'm sure he is a very smart kid with a lot of passion & upside potential in life. I wish him all the best & hope he proves my opinion of his basketball skills wrong.
76sixers
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 76sixers » February 1st, 2012, 6:10 pm

No Problems Go Govs, at all. Just thought enough is enough.
Husker_Fan
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Husker_Fan » February 1st, 2012, 7:27 pm

I for one hope he goes to Harvard makes the basketball team and gets some playing time. Why wouldn't you? If he really wants to go there he should. Means never having to ask what if? Could I have done it? I don't know the kid or the situation but if he is smart enough to get into Harvard and he thinks he can do it he should.
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » February 1st, 2012, 7:28 pm

Tucker is better than Mike Miller....
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » February 1st, 2012, 7:29 pm

captain Tony wrote:Tucker is better than Mike Miller....

Is that positive enough for you guys! 8-)
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
Cornbread Red
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Cornbread Red » February 1st, 2012, 9:13 pm

Now the Mike Miller fans are po'd.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 1st, 2012, 9:23 pm

If Tucker gets into Harvard...great for him! If Tucker goes out at Harvard and makes it...GREAT!

To me, the more SD kids who can play at the highest levels, the better. Love to see as many as possible.

But as Birdman said......why aren't SDSU and USD recruiting him...or even Augie?
Does a butterfly sing.
Warr Bird
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Warr Bird » February 2nd, 2012, 7:14 am

@Lincoln Parent, maybe those schools did try to recruit him and he wanted to go elsewhere and spread his wings a bit. In recruiting, the school/academics have to be a good fit as well as the sports program.

Or, maybe those colleges (SDSU, USD, Augie) already had enough bodies to fill whatever position he plays. College coaches sometimes see abilities and potential a bit differently than the casual observer/fan, or even high school coaches. The cream rises to the top, as they say.
Husker_Fan
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Husker_Fan » February 2nd, 2012, 12:41 pm

Does Augie basketball even recruit South Dakota kids? One on the roster and he is a senior.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On

Postby uncfan23 » February 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm

Warr Bird wrote:@Lincoln Parent, maybe those schools did try to recruit him and he wanted to go elsewhere and spread his wings a bit. In recruiting, the school/academics have to be a good fit as well as the sports program.

Or, maybe those colleges (SDSU, USD, Augie) already had enough bodies to fill whatever position he plays. College coaches sometimes see abilities and potential a bit differently than the casual observer/fan, or even high school coaches. The cream rises to the top, as they say.
I agree with you on the coaches seeing talent different than the casual fan, thats why they get paid. However, USD and SDSU like too bring in in state talent when they are good enough to play at that level. They do this to draw in more fans and get the people who enjoyed watching the kid play in high school out to watch him at the next level. The problem is, like LP said, SD is lucky to produce a D-1 athlete every couple of years.

Plain and simple if Tucker was good enough to play D-1 we would have been on this thread talking about USD and SDSU trying to recruit him which we are not.
WHSParent
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby WHSParent » February 2nd, 2012, 2:45 pm

by Lincoln Parent » February 1st, 2012, 10:23 pm

If Tucker gets into Harvard...great for him! If Tucker goes out at Harvard and makes it...GREAT!

To me, the more SD kids who can play at the highest levels, the better. Love to see as many as possible.

But as Birdman said......why aren't SDSU and USD recruiting him...or even Augie?
Maybe those schools aren't interested, but it may not be a good fit given their current roster or other recruits they've signed. Kids pick schools for multiple reasons: program, scholarship offers, reputation and prestige of the school, competing priorities, ambivalence over what sport to play, and even perhaps....indecision in deciding on a sport that leads to some opportunities being pulled off the table. It happens; some cases are just more high "profile" than others.