Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

mj4046
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 49
Joined: October 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby mj4046 » February 2nd, 2012, 2:54 pm

I wonder how many of you were saying the same thing about brayden carlson coming out of brookings and walking on at SDSU? I'm sure none of you will admit that you were skeptical of Carlson and his "D-1 abilities", but I sure was. That kid is now starting as a sophmore of the 2nd best team in a very good Summit League. And SDSU could well be on the cusp of the Top 25 next year with Wolters and a majority of their players coming back.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 848
Joined: October 26th, 2006, 11:06 am

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 2nd, 2012, 3:31 pm

mj4046 wrote:I wonder how many of you were saying the same thing about brayden carlson coming out of brookings and walking on at SDSU? I'm sure none of you will admit that you were skeptical of Carlson and his "D-1 abilities", but I sure was. That kid is now starting as a sophmore of the 2nd best team in a very good Summit League. And SDSU could well be on the cusp of the Top 25 next year with Wolters and a majority of their players coming back.
I think Brayden was asked to walk on...so it wasn't like it was out of the blue.

Plus Brayden was a much better high school player. 6'5" point guard.....yeah those are nice to find. More athletic too. Much better ballhandler and all around player.
Does a butterfly sing.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 49
Joined: October 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby mj4046 » February 2nd, 2012, 3:43 pm

Lincoln Parent wrote:
mj4046 wrote:I wonder how many of you were saying the same thing about brayden carlson coming out of brookings and walking on at SDSU? I'm sure none of you will admit that you were skeptical of Carlson and his "D-1 abilities", but I sure was. That kid is now starting as a sophmore of the 2nd best team in a very good Summit League. And SDSU could well be on the cusp of the Top 25 next year with Wolters and a majority of their players coming back.
I think Brayden was asked to walk on...so it wasn't like it was out of the blue.

Plus Brayden was a much better high school player. 6'5" point guard.....yeah those are nice to find. More athletic too. Much better ballhandler and all around player.
Ya, I'm sure you were one that knew that he'd be starting as a sophmore at SDSU. I love how people on here act like scouts and prognosticate what a kid can and can't do based on very little knowledge of the kid or the situation.

AND Harvard wants Tucker on the team if he does get accepted into Harvard.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 848
Joined: October 26th, 2006, 11:06 am

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 2nd, 2012, 4:02 pm

I never said anything about knowing he would start....never said it.
Does a butterfly sing.
uncfan23
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 11
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby uncfan23 » February 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm

mj, sorry we do not think your son is a D-1 athlete. He seems like a very bright and nice young man, just not a D-1 caliber player.
User avatar
captain Tony
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1163
Joined: September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm
Location: Hitchcock, Altoona twnshp Beadle Co.

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby captain Tony » February 2nd, 2012, 4:11 pm

mj4046 wrote:
Lincoln Parent wrote:
mj4046 wrote:I wonder how many of you were saying the same thing about brayden carlson coming out of brookings and walking on at SDSU? I'm sure none of you will admit that you were skeptical of Carlson and his "D-1 abilities", but I sure was. That kid is now starting as a sophmore of the 2nd best team in a very good Summit League. And SDSU could well be on the cusp of the Top 25 next year with Wolters and a majority of their players coming back.
I think Brayden was asked to walk on...so it wasn't like it was out of the blue.

Plus Brayden was a much better high school player. 6'5" point guard.....yeah those are nice to find. More athletic too. Much better ballhandler and all around player.
Ya, I'm sure you were one that knew that he'd be starting as a sophmore at SDSU. I love how people on here act like scouts and prognosticate what a kid can and can't do based on very little knowledge of the kid or the situation.

AND Harvard wants Tucker on the team if he does get accepted into Harvard.

Brayden Carlson was a stud on a bad team. Brayden turned down offers from alot of D 2 schools to walk on. Great move, but it takes balls to do it.

Maybe Tucker can do the same thing! Time will tell, not us arguing about it.


They always talked about Newton cause Huron was better than Brookings, but many of us could see Bryden would play more College ball! Built for the College game!
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
dellsguy
Forum Admin
Forum Admin
Posts: 144
Joined: October 25th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby dellsguy » February 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

uncfan23 wrote:mj, sorry we do not think your son is a D-1 athlete. He seems like a very bright and nice young man, just not a D-1 caliber player.

Uh, MJ has been on this forum for a long time. He or she isnt Tuckers mom or dad.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 49
Joined: October 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby mj4046 » February 2nd, 2012, 4:31 pm

Lincoln Parent wrote:I never said anything about knowing he would start....never said it.
That's my point. How do you know what he or Brayden can/could do? You don't.

Look, I'd be surprised if he ever contributed to Harvard's success as a basketball team. I know he isn't typical D-1 player, but he wants to give it a go. I just get tired of people on this board thinking they know EVERYTHING and thinking they can predict the future.
uncfan23 wrote:mj, sorry we do not think your son is a D-1 athlete. He seems like a very bright and nice young man, just not a D-1 caliber player.
Another example of a post that I've grown tired of. I have no relation to Tucker.

This argument has grown cyclical, so this will be my last post on this topic.
mj4046
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 49
Joined: October 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby mj4046 » February 2nd, 2012, 5:18 pm

huskers101 wrote:Please, someone find me anything that shows that Tommy Amaker or any of his assistants want Tucker on the team. I can't seem to find anything. Do any of you know just how tough it is to play D1 basketball? Tucker just simply isn't quick enough to guard a D1 player, a good enough ball handler, and just simply not athletic enough to play at Harvard. I hope that he is able to prove me wrong, but let's be honest with ourselves. How many players are better than him in SD right now? Hanson, Severyn, Naasz, Schaefbauer, Wallin, Habtemarium, Howard, Heiser, Maxwell, Schultz, etc...Tucker is a solid shooter, not much else. I just do not believe he plays hard enough to be able to play at Harvard, let alone Augie. It is great that he is able to go to school at Harvard, about 99% of the people in the world do not have that opportunity ..but playing basketball there for a top 25 team? They're a top 50 team in the country the past few years, they are only getting better. I wish the best of luck to Tucker both in basketball and in life. Prove me wrong, I'd love to see it. The more talent SD can get out there the better!
Coach Munsen talked about it about a month and a half ago. He stated that Harvard has been in contact with him. That they wanted film. They got the film. They liked how well he shot the ball, and they would like him on the team...pending his acceptance to the school. And, I'd take Volesky over most of those Sioux Falls boys you mentioned. He's struggled this year, but he scored in bunches last year and was a first team all-stater.
Warr Bird
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 5
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 8:09 am

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby Warr Bird » February 2nd, 2012, 5:38 pm

I personally hope he follows his dream and has much success. Physical capabilities are very important in sports, but just important are desire, grit and determination. If he wants it bad enough, who are any of us to say whether or not he should go for it?

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! (One of the greatest movies of all time).
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star
Posts: 848
Joined: October 26th, 2006, 11:06 am

Re: Six Mitchell seniors planning to play collegiately

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 2nd, 2012, 6:07 pm

huskers101 wrote:Please, someone find me anything that shows that Tommy Amaker or any of his assistants want Tucker on the team. I can't seem to find anything. Do any of you know just how tough it is to play D1 basketball? Tucker just simply isn't quick enough to guard a D1 player, a good enough ball handler, and just simply not athletic enough to play at Harvard. I hope that he is able to prove me wrong, but let's be honest with ourselves. How many players are better than him in SD right now? Hanson, Severyn, Naasz, Schaefbauer, Wallin, Habtemarium, Howard, Heiser, Maxwell, Schultz, etc...Tucker is a solid shooter, not much else. I just do not believe he plays hard enough to be able to play at Harvard, let alone Augie. It is great that he is able to go to school at Harvard, about 99% of the people in the world do not have that opportunity ..but playing basketball there for a top 25 team? They're a top 50 team in the country the past few years, they are only getting better. I wish the best of luck to Tucker both in basketball and in life. Prove me wrong, I'd love to see it. The more talent SD can get out there the better!
Brady Maxwell is a much better college prospect than Tucker Volesy....so is Ben Schultz (though Ben is going to run), Joey Habtemariam is a much better college prospect than Tucker....clearly Zach Hanson and Lane Severyn are.

Connor Schaefbauer and Trey Naasz are both better high school players than Tucker...although like Ben Schultz are playing other sports in college. Tanner Heiser...better high school player, but Tanner's problem is he isn't a true point guard and isn't big enough to be a 2 guard. Sam Wallin is better high school player but other sport in college.

Every name huskers listed is either a better high school player or college prospect than Tucker.

I would add Tate Martin and Tanner Odegaard as kids who are better college prospects.

I will say...I am not opposed to kids chasing their dreams and it's great to have all the grit and determination you want. Hope he gets into Harvard.

But if you ask me if I believe Tommy Amaker is actually recruiting him....I say I don't believe it and show me some proof. And if you ask me if I think he's good enough to play there. I will say, you have to be kidding me.

And I think that is all the MANY of us are saying.

Not ill will. Good luck to the kid.

But for those of you who think he can play DI basketball.....you are dreaming.
Does a butterfly sing.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest