Alex Schultz

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Alex Schultz

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 6th, 2012, 1:05 pm

This morning Alex verballed to play baseball at UNO.

I have a lot more information on why baseball and why UNO which I will post on later today.

Alex had offers to play both DI football and baseball and I will go into more detail when I have time late afternoon or early evening.
Does a butterfly sing.
PowerMan
Walk On
Walk On

Re: Alex Schultz

Postby PowerMan » February 6th, 2012, 1:33 pm

I'm surprised.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.
The older I get, the better I was...........
84warrior
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 84warrior » February 6th, 2012, 1:36 pm

Lincoln Parent wrote:This morning Alex verballed to play baseball at UNO.

I have a lot more information on why baseball and why UNO which I will post on later today.

Alex had offers to play both DI football and baseball and I will go into more detail when I have time late afternoon or early evening.
I'm sure LP can add much more but here is what the Argus Leader has:
Alex Schultz had visits planned to St. Cloud St. and Minnesota but settled on UNO baseball after official visit. Will pitch and play OF. Schultz admitted that he might miss football but said, "Once I get into summer and the baseball season, I think it will be all right."
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 6th, 2012, 4:44 pm

There is a lot to this whole story, but will try to get it done as best I can.

Alex had offers for DI in both football and baseball. Also plenty of DII places. But the DII people basically thought they didn't have a chance at him being he was getting interest at the DI level in two sports. DII was fall back stuff basically.

He never really let it be known his preference one way or the other. Football is king and I am sure most people were hoping he would play quarterback somewhere.

The college football coaches were a bit wary of baseball and the college baseball coaches were very wary of football. So in a sense this kept people away a little bit or unwilling to commit to him...not knowing which sport he was going to choose.

There were DII schools that were going to let him do both, but I don't think the idea of tearing up the NSIC for 4 years playing quarterback appealed to him. That is just my opinion.

I believe Alex could have played quarterback in the Mountain West or WAC without any trouble. All the Big Ten schools and some of the Big 12 schools were aware of Alex. I know there was interest in letting him walk on at some of those schools.

Concussions had nothing to do with why Alex choose baseball. Alex last had a concussion his sophomore year. He played 23 more football games after that and threw 750 passes his junior and senior year. That's 750 times dropping back and a bunch of guys coming for you. Wasn't a factor.

As noted in the Argus Leader, the U of Minnesota was looking at him in baseball, SDSU and obviously UNO. The baseball stuff got hurt more by the thinking he was going to play quarterback.

Ultimately why UNO? The head coach at UNO, Bob Herold played 7 years of minor league baseball in the KC Royals organization and managed 8 more years in the Royals organization. Big league connections.

UNO's schedule. This year they have Washington State, Iowa, Minnesota and Kansas State on their schedule.

Also there is a SD connection at UNO. Assistant coach Chris Gadsden is a former Post 22 player who played at Creighton. Alex liked that.

There was a feeling that long term Alex's baseball could take him further than football. Past the college level. Alex could play right field, first base or pitch. But the one huge advantage that he has that could pay off for him is Alex is a switch hitter.

Those of you who have seen him play baseball probably have seen him only bat left handed simply because of the pitcher being right handed. You don't see a lot of left handed pitchers. But Alex is naturally a right handed hitter....so he learned to hit left handed.

And switch hitters make scouts drool. Like left handed pitchers.
Does a butterfly sing.
sdfootballfan501
Walk On
Walk On

Postby sdfootballfan501 » February 6th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Can we get a list of these d1 football schools? Only one I know of is USD and I know they pulled it. congrats on his choice though, kid has a lot more potential in baseball.
Lincoln Parent
All-Star
All-Star

Postby Lincoln Parent » February 6th, 2012, 8:15 pm

sdfootballfan501 wrote:Can we get a list of these d1 football schools? Only one I know of is USD and I know they pulled it. congrats on his choice though, kid has a lot more potential in baseball.
Yeah, the way I wrote that makes it look like he had more than one DI offer in football, which isn't the case that I am aware of.
Does a butterfly sing.
SDGopher

Postby SDGopher » February 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I know I might be biased but Minnesota has produced many more big leaguers than UNO....I'm sure Coach Anderson has plenty of connections to the MLB. I don't even have to go back to the Dave Winfield, Terry Steinbach and Paul Molitor days. You have recent guys like Robbie Quinlan, Jack Hannahan, Glenn Perkins, Dan Wilson, Kerry Ligtenberg .....

But good for the kid. I wish him all the success in the world and hope he represents South Dakota well at UNO. I love it when SD athletes represent at the D1 level.

By the way, why aren't the Twins trying to sign Austin, Minnesota native Michael Wuertz? We definitely need the bullpen help.
redhotchillipepper
Walk On
Walk On

Postby redhotchillipepper » February 7th, 2012, 2:06 am

Minnesota baseball is the door mat of the Big 10 and the Big 10 is the garbage can of college baseball. SDSU has beaten the Gophers how many times in a row now?
Curious
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Curious » February 8th, 2012, 9:48 am

Actually Chili, the Goophs have finished 2nd (2009), 1st (2010), and 4th (2011) in the Big 10 the last three years which is hardly the door mat. You are correct about the Jacks having their number however. In 2010 we were the de facto Big 10 champs as we went 3-0 against Minny :D and have won the last 4 times the teams have played. As to Alex, congrats and good luck at UNO.
Frumpy
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Frumpy » February 8th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Congrats to Alex and to UNO for landing him!
redhotchillipepper
Walk On
Walk On

Postby redhotchillipepper » February 8th, 2012, 9:11 pm

SDGopher is a friend of mine, I was just giving him a hard time. However, and I'm sure you are well aware the Big 10 is not a good baseball conf. I have been following the CWS for a long, long time, I cannot remember the last time a Big 10 team made it.

You could argue that by Nebraska moving to the Big 10 it will really hurt their baseball program. They go from playing and competing with national powers to being the only real baseball program in the league.
Curious
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Curious » February 8th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Agreed Chili. It's just darn tough for the northern teams to compete.
WHSParent
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby WHSParent » February 9th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Good for Alex! It's great whenever a SD kid makes it to higher levels of competition in any sport.

From what I've heard from area coaches, there seemed to be a consensus that his football potential had peaked whereas his upside it baseball was much higher. I honestly think he could have had a very productive Div. II caree as a QB--maybe even in Division 1 FCS program, although probably not until his Jr. or Sr. year. All things considered, UNO should be a great fit for him. Best wishes.
SportsGuru

Postby SportsGuru » July 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Alex seems to be a good kid and an excellent athlete. I hate to break it to folks, but kids like Nate Gerry...Greenway....John Dutton, Josh Heupel, etc...are few and far between in football from SD. Kids like Derek Granum from RHS (2012) are about the only kids getting looked at by big time D-1 school for football (kickers). Sioux Falls and other athletes can produce kids that will get recruited (Big Time D1) for football maybe every 5 years or so. USD, Augustana, and very rarely SDSU will get the best football players from SD. There is nothing wrong with that, but face it....BCS conferences normally have no interest in anybody from the Dakotas for football. (and never will). Baseball was the perfect sport for Alex....was the perfect sport for that Oakland A's kid that plays for AZ now (RC Post 22 kid...forget his name), and was the perfect sport for the OG kid playing AAA ball now. Anybody that says it was such a big "dillema" tying to decide between baseball and football are obviously not the parents looking at the amount of money it is going to cost for school from within all of the so-called offers. I hope this kid makes it to the show.....but he was not a D-1 QB in my opinion.
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » July 12th, 2012, 6:34 am

SportsGuru wrote:Alex seems to be a good kid and an excellent athlete. I hate to break it to folks, but kids like Nate Gerry...Greenway....John Dutton, Josh Heupel, etc...are few and far between in football from SD. Kids like Derek Granum from RHS (2012) are about the only kids getting looked at by big time D-1 school for football (kickers). Sioux Falls and other athletes can produce kids that will get recruited (Big Time D1) for football maybe every 5 years or so. USD, Augustana, and very rarely SDSU will get the best football players from SD. There is nothing wrong with that, but face it....BCS conferences normally have no interest in anybody from the Dakotas for football. (and never will). Baseball was the perfect sport for Alex....was the perfect sport for that Oakland A's kid that plays for AZ now (RC Post 22 kid...forget his name), and was the perfect sport for the OG kid playing AAA ball now. Anybody that says it was such a big "dillema" tying to decide between baseball and football are obviously not the parents looking at the amount of money it is going to cost for school from within all of the so-called offers. I hope this kid makes it to the show.....but he was not a D-1 QB in my opinion.
Mark Ellis is the kid from Rapid who now plays for the Dodgers.
I don't want to argue about whether or not Schultz is a D1 QB but would agree with your assessment of BCS schools not hitting the recruiting hard in SD .... not a good return on investment timewise considering the number of football prospects, or lack thereof, in SD.
giminy rickets
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby giminy rickets » July 12th, 2012, 10:02 am

You maybe right but scholarships for football at the 1AA level or D2 are often more than a D1 baseball scholarship. Baseball rarely gives full rides or even 3/4 scholarships while football can and does offer more money for scholarships. Sometimes kids choose going to a more "prestigious" school over the bigger scholarship because they want to go big time