Boys Basketball Signings

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Re: Boys Basketball Signings

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 2nd, 2016, 10:12 am

According to Argus Leader Twitter feed, Tayt Vincent (Sioux Valley) has verballed to Augustana.
MrAugustana
Walk On
Walk On

Postby MrAugustana » August 22nd, 2016, 3:27 pm

Sorry, just came across this message board after trying to find some info on Augie's recent commits. Saw that the Vikes are bringing in two SD kids for this 2017 recruiting class. As csdsportsfan1 mentioned, Sioux Valley's Tayton Vincent appears to have committed a few weeks ago and O'Gormon shooting guard Matt Cartwright committed to the Vikings a few days ago according to his Twitter account.

I don't follow high school basketball in this area as closely as I do college ball. Does anyone have any insight on what the Vikings can expect from Vincent and Cartwright in the future? I'm looking forward to following both of them for their senior years, but I know some of you guys and gals know more about these players than I'll be able to discern from some stat sheets and Argus Leader game recaps. Would love to hear what anyone who has seen them play has to say about either player. I know Vincent is overcoming a few knee injuries that have really slowed him down and that he was really highly regarded before his injuries, so I'm hoping he recovers well and has a strong senior year. Either way, I doubt the Augie coaching staff would've gone after him if he couldn't play, so I'm sure his future is still bright. I really don't know much about Cartwright other than the fact that he plays at O'Gorman.

If anyone chimes in with thoughts, thanks. I look forward to being more involved on this forum as the season goes on if I'm able.
John Deere Jockey
Captain
Captain

Postby John Deere Jockey » August 23rd, 2016, 3:11 pm

Vincent was a higher recruit before the knee issues. Have watched him play since he was a Schooler playing up two years. His dad is a coach, kid knows how to play. Played on Sioux Valley varsity since 8th grade. Some would say his team has been over rated ..... some would say they have under achieved. He has been a big contributor on some very good SV teams. The biggest take away after watching him play last year: he is not as explosive as he was before the knee problems. I hope he has a successful senior year. Augie will be getting a really good player ..... unless he proves he can't drive around college defenders or get his shot off or defend perimeter players. IMO, Augie is getting a player who will help them. But, let's watch his senior year and let the kid enjoy his last high school games .... then see what happens.
MrAugustana
Walk On
Walk On

Postby MrAugustana » August 25th, 2016, 11:52 am

Thanks for the insight, John Deere Jockey. Sounds like Vincent has a chance to be a special kind of player at the D2 level if he gets back to full strength. Definitely not trying to rush him into an Augie uniform or anything (kind of the implication I got from the closing sentence of your post), just excited to have a couple of fairly local commitments this year so it will be easier to keep up with their senior seasons. I always enjoy hearing about incoming Augie recruits from people who live in those areas or watch those games, as they usually have good insights.

Anyone know much about Cartwright? I've read that he's a longer player who can shoot it, but I haven't heard much else beyond that. I suppose I might be able to catch an O'Gorman game or two this year though, so maybe I'll be able to find out for myself when basketball season rolls around.
goyotes
Walk On
Walk On

Postby goyotes » August 25th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Don't know too much about Cartwright, but with the family history he could turn out to be a huge Bonanza for Augie.
sd_fanatic101
Walk On
Walk On

Postby sd_fanatic101 » November 18th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Vermillion guard Cooper Williams commits to Dakota Wesleyan
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » December 2nd, 2016, 10:01 am

Drew Jurgens (6'8" F from Brandon Valley) signed with DWU.
LB1981
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LB1981 » December 6th, 2016, 3:01 pm

MrAugustana wrote:Thanks for the insight, John Deere Jockey. Sounds like Vincent has a chance to be a special kind of player at the D2 level if he gets back to full strength. Definitely not trying to rush him into an Augie uniform or anything (kind of the implication I got from the closing sentence of your post), just excited to have a couple of fairly local commitments this year so it will be easier to keep up with their senior seasons. I always enjoy hearing about incoming Augie recruits from people who live in those areas or watch those games, as they usually have good insights.

Anyone know much about Cartwright? I've read that he's a longer player who can shoot it, but I haven't heard much else beyond that. I suppose I might be able to catch an O'Gorman game or two this year though, so maybe I'll be able to find out for myself when basketball season rolls around.
Cartwright is the real deal. He will be the special player you're talking about. Vincent is a real good player but his knee has changed his game. I'd be surprised if he is on anything close to a full ride at Augie.
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » April 6th, 2017, 9:34 am

Here are a few additional signings (not sure if they have been reported here before):

DWU

Bennett White - Wolsey/Wessington
Tiegen Prieb - Chamberlain
Will Steineke - Tri Valley
Cooper Williams - Vermillion
Sam McCloud (transfer from Black Hills State) - RC Stevens

Mt. Marty

Sheldon Siemonsma - Dell Rapids

Jamestown

Jack Talley - SF Washington

SD School of Mines

Isaac Kortemeyer - St. Thomas More

Dordt

DeJay Fykstra - SF Christian

Briar Cliff

Ethan Freidel - Tea
Wil Johnson - Harrisburg

Concordia-Moorhead

Seth Friesz - Chamberlain

I think NCAA signing day is next Wednesday, so I expect there will be a few others to add to the list then.
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby softkitty » April 6th, 2017, 8:16 pm

You can also add to DWU:

Nick Nagel - West Central
Connor Morgan - Mitchell
Justice Morrison - White River
Mason Peter - Dells
Devin Rihanek - MVP
Holden Thieman - Colome
Andrew Jurgens - BV
pioneer
Walk On
Walk On

Postby pioneer » April 7th, 2017, 10:32 pm

DWU signs 12 new recruits? Are they having an entire new team next fall?
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » April 18th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Robert Rosenquist (2nd team Class A All State 5'11" G from Dakota Valley) is signing with Iowa Lakes CC.
bball44
Walk On
Walk On

Postby bball44 » April 25th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Keep hearing Augie and USD are showing major interest in Camden Bialas from Parker. He would be a great fit for either program.
Graindust 2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Graindust 2 » April 26th, 2017, 10:21 am

just saw a post that Bradley Dean of Pierre Sign with DWU
captain Tony
Manager
Manager

Postby captain Tony » May 25th, 2017, 6:15 am

pioneer wrote:DWU signs 12 new recruits? Are they having an entire new team next fall?

Wilbur has been doing this for years. Typically only 3-5 will ever see the court. Most will quit before their 2nd year. It's been working.
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
ringthebells
Starter
Starter

Postby ringthebells » May 25th, 2017, 5:52 pm

captain Tony wrote:
pioneer wrote:DWU signs 12 new recruits? Are they having an entire new team next fall?

Wilbur has been doing this for years. Typically only 3-5 will ever see the court. Most will quit before their 2nd year. It's been working.
In the meantime those other kids will stay in school and pay full tuition. Kind of a racquet if you ask me.
Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby softkitty » July 7th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Aaron Fiegen verbals to SDSU.
MyloMan
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby MyloMan » July 7th, 2017, 7:34 pm

softkitty wrote:Aaron Fiegen verbals to SDSU.
I saw this today on Twitter! Good for him.

His versatility will suit him well up in Brookings. When I watched him play this past year he showed tremendous ability.

It will be fun to see another South Dakota kid playing for the Jacks. Even cooler that his oldest brother played there too.
sd_fanatic101
Walk On
Walk On

Postby sd_fanatic101 » August 2nd, 2017, 8:21 pm

Dylan LeBrun of Flandreau and AJ Plitzuweit of Vermillion both commit to Augie
Graindust 2
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Graindust 2 » August 3rd, 2017, 7:21 am

So with Dylan committing to Augie is he the only one off of the 17 national team to commit to a school?