2016-17 Football Recruits

All chat of recruiting, signing, etc. goes here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

User avatar
captain Tony
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1152
Joined: September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm
Location: Hitchcock, Altoona twnshp Beadle Co.

2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby captain Tony » August 14th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Langfords Lincoln Gibbs has Decomitted from his verbal to NDSU. Has a Scholarship offer from another MVC team.
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
ringthebells
Starter
Starter
Posts: 319
Joined: October 26th, 2006, 6:49 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby ringthebells » August 14th, 2016, 6:28 pm

C'mon man!! Tell us who. Hopefully he stays in state.
Your opponent probably understands you and how hard you have worked better than anyone. Your opponent is not your enemy that needs to be hated or humiliated. Celebrate with your teammates, not against your opponents. A worthy opponent is necessary for us to be tested and to reach our best. Without an opponent, there is no competition.
User avatar
captain Tony
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1152
Joined: September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm
Location: Hitchcock, Altoona twnshp Beadle Co.

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby captain Tony » August 14th, 2016, 8:45 pm

ringthebells wrote:C'mon man!! Tell us who. Hopefully he stays in state.


90 percent sure it's State. Go Jacks!!
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 91
Joined: October 12th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby softkitty » August 14th, 2016, 9:03 pm

captain Tony wrote:
ringthebells wrote:C'mon man!! Tell us who. Hopefully he stays in state.


90 percent sure it's State. Go Jacks!!

He followed a bunch of USD coaches on twitter today, so who knows.
User avatar
captain Tony
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1152
Joined: September 3rd, 2008, 11:23 pm
Location: Hitchcock, Altoona twnshp Beadle Co.

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby captain Tony » August 15th, 2016, 12:00 pm

I could see that happening. The new coach at USD is a proven winner and a great recruiter.
Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffen Glue!
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 91
Joined: October 12th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby softkitty » August 15th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Well, it's official. Lincoln Gibbs has commited to USD. https://twitter.com/GibbsLincoln/status ... 4701657088
tman28
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 232
Joined: March 19th, 2014, 3:49 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby tman28 » August 16th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Roosevelt Olineman Austin Boen committed to SDSU earlier this summer.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 215
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby Team Player 2 » August 22nd, 2016, 12:59 pm

softkitty wrote:Well, it's official. Lincoln Gibbs has commited to USD. https://twitter.com/GibbsLincoln/status ... 4701657088

That's a bigger get for USD than it is a loss for NDSU. If I remember correctly, Gibbs wasn't even getting a scholarship from NDSU. That shows just how bad they needed him. NDSU is loaded at the positions Gibbs would have the potential to play.

Now before some of you homers jump on me, let's be clear. Gibbs is a very good player and congrats on going to USD. It's just that NDSU didn't really need him. USD needs whoever they can get.
User avatar
KennyMFPowers
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 20
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby KennyMFPowers » August 22nd, 2016, 2:40 pm

Team Player 2 wrote:
softkitty wrote:Well, it's official. Lincoln Gibbs has commited to USD. https://twitter.com/GibbsLincoln/status ... 4701657088

That's a bigger get for USD than it is a loss for NDSU. If I remember correctly, Gibbs wasn't even getting a scholarship from NDSU. That shows just how bad they needed him. NDSU is loaded at the positions Gibbs would have the potential to play.

Now before some of you homers jump on me, let's be clear. Gibbs is a very good player and congrats on going to USD. It's just that NDSU didn't really need him. USD needs whoever they can get.
Yeah because USD was unable to beat NDSU last year, oh wait. NDSU does already have 2 RBs for this cycle though.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 215
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby Team Player 2 » August 23rd, 2016, 7:32 am

KennyMFPowers wrote:
Team Player 2 wrote:
softkitty wrote:Well, it's official. Lincoln Gibbs has commited to USD. https://twitter.com/GibbsLincoln/status ... 4701657088

That's a bigger get for USD than it is a loss for NDSU. If I remember correctly, Gibbs wasn't even getting a scholarship from NDSU. That shows just how bad they needed him. NDSU is loaded at the positions Gibbs would have the potential to play.

Now before some of you homers jump on me, let's be clear. Gibbs is a very good player and congrats on going to USD. It's just that NDSU didn't really need him. USD needs whoever they can get.
Yeah because USD was unable to beat NDSU last year, oh wait. NDSU does already have 2 RBs for this cycle though.
Appalachian St. once beat Michigan too. What's the point? The point is that HUGE upsets happen every now and then. Carson Wentz also fractured his wrist in the USD game last year. The offense became limited and predictable with him hurt. Excuses? Call it what you want, but the fact is he was hurt. USD won the game. It was a HUGE upset. USD played their absolute best and NDSU played their worst game in a long time and it still took a field goal at the end to pull the upset. USD isn't even close to the class that NDSU is.

I have a feeling that NDSU will be focused this year when that game rolls around and take USD behind the shed.

The original point is that, while talented, Gibbs really wasn't needed at NDSU and would have struggled to get in front of the studs they have. Hence why he wasn't given a scholarship. I don't blame him for flip flopping to a school that will give him a full ride with a better opportunity to play. Congrats to him!
gp+3
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 29
Joined: September 3rd, 2015, 2:05 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby gp+3 » August 23rd, 2016, 12:10 pm

"USD needs whoever they can get"? It was an upset when USD beat NDSU but they outplayed them! Wentz did not fracture his wrist it was fractured on one of the many sacks USD had on him! Glad to see some of the homegrown talent choosing USD with the new staff and new facilities USD is going to get considerably better in the next few years. As far as not being close to the class of NDSU I believe they are both 1AA unless the bison fans have already petitioned the NCAA. Great program unreal success but no reason to bash a team in the same conference that by the way beat them in their own stadium last year. I do not know but I would be shocked if Gibbs got a full ride, he did get a scholarship but highly doubt it was full.
User avatar
KennyMFPowers
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 20
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby KennyMFPowers » August 23rd, 2016, 12:25 pm

Appalachian St. once beat Michigan too. What's the point? The point is that HUGE upsets happen every now and then. Carson Wentz also fractured his wrist in the USD game last year. The offense became limited and predictable with him hurt. Excuses? Call it what you want, but the fact is he was hurt. USD won the game. It was a HUGE upset. USD played their absolute best and NDSU played their worst game in a long time and it still took a field goal at the end to pull the upset. USD isn't even close to the class that NDSU is.

I have a feeling that NDSU will be focused this year when that game rolls around and take USD behind the shed.

The original point is that, while talented, Gibbs really wasn't needed at NDSU and would have struggled to get in front of the studs they have. Hence why he wasn't given a scholarship. I don't blame him for flip flopping to a school that will give him a full ride with a better opportunity to play. Congrats to him!
Who came in to play QB? Oh yeah, Easton Stick who never lost a game and led them to the NC before Wentz came back. USD's best RB Bouma also broke his arm that game. I am not saying it was not an upset, or that USD is a world beater, but to say they are way behind the XDSU's is being ignorant.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 215
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby Team Player 2 » August 23rd, 2016, 12:44 pm

KennyMFPowers wrote:
Appalachian St. once beat Michigan too. What's the point? The point is that HUGE upsets happen every now and then. Carson Wentz also fractured his wrist in the USD game last year. The offense became limited and predictable with him hurt. Excuses? Call it what you want, but the fact is he was hurt. USD won the game. It was a HUGE upset. USD played their absolute best and NDSU played their worst game in a long time and it still took a field goal at the end to pull the upset. USD isn't even close to the class that NDSU is.

I have a feeling that NDSU will be focused this year when that game rolls around and take USD behind the shed.

The original point is that, while talented, Gibbs really wasn't needed at NDSU and would have struggled to get in front of the studs they have. Hence why he wasn't given a scholarship. I don't blame him for flip flopping to a school that will give him a full ride with a better opportunity to play. Congrats to him!
Who came in to play QB? Oh yeah, Easton Stick who never lost a game and led them to the NC before Wentz came back. USD's best RB Bouma also broke his arm that game. I am not saying it was not an upset, or that USD is a world beater, but to say they are way behind the XDSU's is being ignorant.
I would say regular season records, lack of postseason appearances, lack of post season wins, and lack of titles would indicate that USD is way behind NDSU. It's not close.

If I'm not mistaken, that was Stick's first meaningful game action. Losing your starting QB to a talented, but unprepared backup, will kill any team. The way NDSU played that day, they might not have won anyway. Maybe the miracle was destined to happen no matter what.

Now if USD can pull off another miracle this year and beat them, then there is something to your argument. Expect a big victory by NDSU in Vermillion this year.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer
Posts: 215
Joined: October 13th, 2015, 7:28 am

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby Team Player 2 » August 23rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

gp+3 wrote:"USD needs whoever they can get"? It was an upset when USD beat NDSU but they outplayed them! Wentz did not fracture his wrist it was fractured on one of the many sacks USD had on him! Glad to see some of the homegrown talent choosing USD with the new staff and new facilities USD is going to get considerably better in the next few years. As far as not being close to the class of NDSU I believe they are both 1AA unless the bison fans have already petitioned the NCAA. Great program unreal success but no reason to bash a team in the same conference that by the way beat them in their own stadium last year. I do not know but I would be shocked if Gibbs got a full ride, he did get a scholarship but highly doubt it was full.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious that both programs are 1AA. Using your reasoning and analogy, Minnesota is not that far behind Alabama either because they are both FBS programs. Minnesota isn't in the same class as Alabama. See what I meant there?
User avatar
KennyMFPowers
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 20
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby KennyMFPowers » August 23rd, 2016, 2:21 pm

If you are putting that perspective on it then every team is light years behind NDSU as they have won 5 straight NC’s.
SESDSports Fan
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 40
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby SESDSports Fan » August 24th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Some facts:

2012-15

USD has won 6 conference games in their first 4 years in the MVC. In that span, the next lowest total is 9 games won. To put it in perspective, in their first 4 years in the conference, SDSU won 21 games and NDSU won 17 games. The last four years, NDSU has won 29 MVC games and SDSU has won 21.

For USD to get to the level of an average FCS team, they need to start winning on a consistant level. Its a nice feather in the cap to say that "we beat the eventual national champions" but that isn't something that average teams get much traction with in the recruiting battles. Playing on ESPN or having game day visit or having a QB go 2nd in the draft or having 11 former players playing on Sundays are things that bring major FCS recruits to a school. Maybe the facilities and coaching staff will bring in major recruits to USD, but at this point in time, USD is a long ways from being an average FCS team...maybe not light years...but a long ways from being in the class of the top MVC teams.
pioneer
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 47
Joined: May 20th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby pioneer » August 24th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Two different animals: average FCS or average MVC. USD is a way above average FBS team. That's been apparent in the results against non league opponents where they've been successful against teams from other conferences, for example the Big Sky, that have ended up qualifying for the playoffs or, even in some cases, winning their conference. What they haven't been yet is an average team in a conference, the Missouri Valley, which is far and away the top FCS conference in the nation. The MVC has even been rated higher than a half dozen FBS conferences the past few years. To get to the top in the MVC a team has to be among the elite in the nation. The polls usually confirm this and computer rankings definitely do if you believe in that sort of stuff. MVC teams dominate and even the bottom feeders are routinely in the top 40. Virtually any MVC team would be a playoff team if they competed in any other conference. I just hope we don't see a repeat of last year when all the Valley teams were stuck in the same bracket and ended up knocking each other off. The year before when they were spread out three of the four semifinalists were MVC teams. Despite being national champs, even the Bison haven't been able to go undefeated in conference the past two years. Regular season schedules in that league are brutal. I guess I got off track quite a bit, but I do feel USD's arrow is pointed up. There's going to be some good football in the Dakotas over the next several years. Side note: I just admire South Dakotans who are Bison fans. Jump on the bandwagon. There are two in state schools who deserve support.
SESDSports Fan
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 40
Joined: November 19th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby SESDSports Fan » August 25th, 2016, 9:43 pm

I was really enjoying your point of view and hoping for a good discussion on the MVC until your last couple sentences. I didn't know there was criteria for living in SD. 1971 grad of NDSU here, I'm willing to bet I was on the bandwagon before you were born. Are all Minnesotans who attend SDSU and move back home expected to cheer on the Gophers? It's that type of attitude that pushes this site one less member closer to extinction.
pioneer
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 47
Joined: May 20th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby pioneer » August 26th, 2016, 12:51 am

Actually SESDSportsfan I wasn't referring to you, it was the other guy you were sparring with, but whatever. You did lose your bet though. I was born in 1953 and graduated high school in '71. And here I thought I was the only fossil who read this stuff.
User avatar
KennyMFPowers
Walk On
Walk On
Posts: 20
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 11:10 pm

Re: 2016-17 Football Recruits

Postby KennyMFPowers » August 26th, 2016, 8:14 am

pioneer wrote:Two different animals: average FCS or average MVC. USD is a way above average FBS team. That's been apparent in the results against non league opponents where they've been successful against teams from other conferences, for example the Big Sky, that have ended up qualifying for the playoffs or, even in some cases, winning their conference. What they haven't been yet is an average team in a conference, the Missouri Valley, which is far and away the top FCS conference in the nation. The MVC has even been rated higher than a half dozen FBS conferences the past few years. To get to the top in the MVC a team has to be among the elite in the nation. The polls usually confirm this and computer rankings definitely do if you believe in that sort of stuff. MVC teams dominate and even the bottom feeders are routinely in the top 40. Virtually any MVC team would be a playoff team if they competed in any other conference. I just hope we don't see a repeat of last year when all the Valley teams were stuck in the same bracket and ended up knocking each other off. The year before when they were spread out three of the four semifinalists were MVC teams. Despite being national champs, even the Bison haven't been able to go undefeated in conference the past two years. Regular season schedules in that league are brutal. I guess I got off track quite a bit, but I do feel USD's arrow is pointed up. There's going to be some good football in the Dakotas over the next several years. Side note: I just admire South Dakotans who are Bison fans. Jump on the bandwagon. There are two in state schools who deserve support.
Nailed it.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests