MLB draft - South Dakota HS players

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

MLB draft - South Dakota HS players

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » June 7th, 2018, 9:18 am

Congrats to Peyton Zabel of Pierre on being drafted by the Brewers.

As I was reading the story about the draft, I wondered how many high school players from South Dakota have ever been drafted? I suspect the number is fairly small. Dusty Coleman of Sioux Falls is one that comes to mind.
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: MLB draft - South Dakota HS players

Postby lynxfan » June 22nd, 2018, 11:39 am

Jake Adams - Brandon Valley - drafted in the 6th round of the 2017 draft by the Houston Astro's.
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby softkitty » June 24th, 2018, 7:20 am

lynxfan wrote:
June 22nd, 2018, 11:39 am
Jake Adams - Brandon Valley - drafted in the 6th round of the 2017 draft by the Houston Astro's.
He was drafted out of Iowa, though. I may be wrong, but I don't remember him being drafted right out of high school.
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » June 26th, 2018, 7:40 am

Softkitty - aha, you are correct. He played High School ball in SD. I missed the fine point of being drafted as a High Schooler.....I do believe that number would be quite small.

Wasn't Dusty Coleman drafted out of Wichita State? I'm not sure on that - perhaps he was selected in the draft as a High Schooler but didn't sign, then was drafted again in college?

Wasn't there a kid from Rapid City drafted? I was thinking Erstad but did some research - he's from ND I guess. Still seems like there was a Post 22 kid drafted quite a while back and has done well. Not sure if it was when in HS.
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » June 26th, 2018, 1:36 pm

OK, thanks to Baseball-reference.com, I found a list of all SD kids (high school and college) that have been drafted by MLB teams. It looks like Zabel is the 18th South Dakota high school player drafted since 1967. They are:

Tanner Chleborad (Rapid City), RHP, Mariners, Round 24, 2011
Ryan Hander (Sioux Falls), RHP, Dodgers, Round 39, 2009
Sam Wolff (Rapid City), RHP, Angels, Round 42, 2009
Derek Ver Helst (Spearfish), LHP, Pirates, Round 21, 1999
Josh Merrigan (Vermillion), LHP, Expos, Round 33, 1998 AND Expos, Round 18, 1997

Landon Jacobsen (Howard), RHP, Brewers, Round 37, 1997
Ben Thomas (Rapid City), 1B, Rockies, Round 27, 1994
Nathan Barns (Rapid City), OF, Red Sox, Round 29, 1994
Mike Raymondi (Watertown), C, Twins, Round 34, 1994
Matt Schuldt (Sioux Falls), C, Giants, Round 42, 1994

Chad McConnell (Sioux Falls), OF, Twins, Round 17, 1989
Roger Lewis (Rapid City), RHP, Reds, Round 25, 1980
Keith Halgerson (Sioux Falls), RHP, Reds, Round 12, 1972
Marty O'Malley (Winner), C, Reds, Round 22, 1972
Dave Collins (Rapid City), 1B, Reds, Round 23, 1971

Gary Ellefson (Dell Rapids), RHP, Braves, Round 26, 1970
Lloyd Brunick (Yankton), RHP, Twins, Round 47, 1967
lynxfan
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lynxfan » June 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm

That's gotta be incomplete - no Coleman? Adams? Mark Ellis? Ellis was the Post 22 player from a while back I was forgetting. I have a sense there's more.

I guess the overall point is still valid - very few SD-raised baseball players in the MLB.....whether drafted right out of HS or after/during a college career. I gotta believe with the improved programs and facilities we're starting to see across the state, but particularly in the SF area, the rate will increase. Always fun to see a SD boy do well and makes it more interesting to watch those games you may not normally be interested in. Hell, I even claimed Jason Kubel as one of ours and followed him a little more closely. He was a nice hitter....and born in Belle Fourche.

I'll even stretch it as far to claim Terry Francona as one of ours (born in Aberdeen somehow). Pretty sure he wasn't here very long though.
OgieOglethorpe
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby OgieOglethorpe » June 28th, 2018, 7:36 am

Sparky Anderson, born in Bridgewater SD. Lived until 8 years old.
"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » June 28th, 2018, 9:35 am

lynxfan wrote:
June 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm
That's gotta be incomplete - no Coleman? Adams? Mark Ellis? Ellis was the Post 22 player from a while back I was forgetting. I have a sense there's more.

I guess the overall point is still valid - very few SD-raised baseball players in the MLB.....whether drafted right out of HS or after/during a college career. I gotta believe with the improved programs and facilities we're starting to see across the state, but particularly in the SF area, the rate will increase. Always fun to see a SD boy do well and makes it more interesting to watch those games you may not normally be interested in. Hell, I even claimed Jason Kubel as one of ours and followed him a little more closely. He was a nice hitter....and born in Belle Fourche.

I'll even stretch it as far to claim Terry Francona as one of ours (born in Aberdeen somehow). Pretty sure he wasn't here very long though.

There are more SD players that have been drafted. This is only a list of SD high school players that have been drafted which was the point of this thread.

Dusty Coleman (Wichita St.), Jake Adams (Iowa), Mark Ellis (Florida), etc. were all drafted after they went to college. There have also been a number of kids who attended SD colleges/universities that have been drafted such as Jacob Blank who was Augie's top pitcher this year and was drafted by the Twins.

Here is a link to the baseball-reference.com page that lists SD kids who have been drafted. As a caveat, this page only lists SD high school kids and kids who attended SD colleges, so you won't find Coleman, Adams or Ellis on this page.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draf ... type_unk=0