American Legion Baseball

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

OgieOglethorpe
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

American Legion Baseball

Postby OgieOglethorpe » June 1st, 2018, 7:15 am

What are the teams to look out for this summer?
"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose
Walk On
Walk On

Re: American Legion Baseball

Postby 10880 » June 6th, 2018, 8:52 am

State Championship Contenders:
Post 22 has the best talent, depth and player in the state. It would be somewhat of a surprise to see them not win it all this year.
Renner I think is next on the list with a lot of pitching and have a very strong middle part of their order.
Pierre will be able to make some noise in state because they are pretty much guaranteed a win when Zabel is on the mound, it's just a matter if their pitching can make up for what they don't have in bats.
320 has gotten off to a slow start but I expect them to figure things out with their pitching and be able to win some games at state this year.

Good chance to make state:
East might surprise some teams this year, I wouldn't say they have one thing they are really good at, they are just solid in every area. They are close to making the list above but I don't think they are their yet.
Brandon Valley winning the state HS season was a bit of a surprise but who's to say they couldn't make another run late in the year.
West-This team is loaded with talented juniors, if these kids can step up with the few older kids they have they should have a decent year.
Watertown All bats, no pitching.....get hot at the right time and crazy things happen.

Work to do:
Mitchell usually solid defensively and win low scoring games. This year their pitching hasn't allowed them to get in to any low scoring games.
Sturgis
Aberdeen
Yankton
Harrisburg
Huron
Brookings
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 10880 » July 5th, 2018, 8:27 am

Where are we standing on Legion baseball with a month to go in the season?
Any surprises? disappointments?
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 18th, 2018, 10:14 am

Nice run by South Dakota teams at the Gopher Classic last week. Every SD team won at least one game in their pool with the highlight being Post 22 Hardhats ending up in second place, losing the championship game on a walkoff home run.

Here are the records of all the SD teams:

RC 22 Hardhats 8-1 (2nd place in tourney)
Pierre 5-1 (won their pool)
Mitchell 4-2 (won their pool)
SF West 4-1
SF East 3-2
RC 320 3-2
Renner 3-2
Watertown 2-3
RC 22 Bullets 2-3
Harrisburg 2-3
Brookings 1-3
Brandon Valley 1-3
Yankton 1-4