2019 American Legion Baseball Season

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

2019 American Legion Baseball Season

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » May 29th, 2019, 9:11 am

Now that the high school baseball season is over, it is time to talk about the Boys of Summer! Who are going to be the teams to beat this year in Class A? I will start with my Top 5:

1) Rapid City Post 22
2) Mitchell
3) Brandon Valley
4) Renner
5) Sioux Falls East

Others to watch include Sioux Falls West, Pierre, Brookings and Yankton.
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Re: 2019 American Legion Baseball Season

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 15th, 2019, 9:50 am

12 of South Dakota's Class A Legion baseball teams competed in the Gopher Classic over the weekend, and eight of the teams came away with winning records in pool play. Two teams, Mitchell and Watertown, won their pools and qualified for the round of 16 starting on Monday.

So where does that leave us as teams start post season play this coming weekend? Perennial powerhouse Rapid City Post 22 continues to be the favorite to win the state tourney as they went 4-1 in Minneapolis and lost the pool tiebreaker to Team Manitoba.

Mitchell continues to be on a late-season roll and has a veteran lineup that could give 22 a run. They are also the host team for the state tourney which could help them, but will a long layoff before the state tourney hurt their momentum?

The next tier of quality teams includes:
Sioux Falls West
Watertown
Brandon Valley
Sioux Falls East

The best of the rest includes:
Brookings
Renner
Harrisburg
Yankton
Pierre
RC Post 320
Sturgis

Probably don't have a shot:
Aberdeen
Huron
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 10880 » July 22nd, 2019, 9:24 am

State tournament teams are set, haven't seen a bracket yet but probably because Brandon Valley and Yankton still got to play and so do Brookings and Harrisburg.
Brandon Valley
Yankton
Renner
Watertown
Rapid City 22
Pierre
Mitchell-Host
Brookings or Harrisburg

I'd say the biggest surprise is no SF East or West this year.

Mitchell is more than likely the only team getting in the way of Rapid City this year.
Brandon Valley and Pierre have a chance. I doubt any of the other teams will make too much noise.
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 23rd, 2019, 9:39 am

The pairings are out for the State A Legion tourney, and Rapid City Post 22 will likely be tested early as they landed on the same side of the bracket as Brandon Valley, the reigning state high school champs. Post 22 will take on Yankton in the first game on Friday and this presents an interesting match-up as Yankton has some nice talent and good pitching at the top of their rotation. BV will play a Watertown team that has played well in the second half of the season and made it to Monday at the Gopher Classic.

Mitchell, the other top contender, sits on the lower half of the bracket with Renner (who could be a darkhorse), Pierre and the winner of the wild card game between Brookings and Harrisburg. Mitchell has been solid all year and will play the wild card entrant in the final game on Friday. Renner and Pierre will face off in the second game on Friday in what could be a dandy pitching matchup between a pair of top line rising juniors, lefty Reece Arbogast (Renner) and lefty Maguire Raske (Pierre).

The first round pairings and game times:

Rapid City Post 22 vs Yankton 10 am
Renner vs Pierre 1 pm
Brandon Valley vs Watertown 5 pm
Mitchell vs Brookings/Harrisburg 8 pm
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 24th, 2019, 12:56 pm

With Harrisburg beating Brookings in last night's wild card game, the fields is now set for the State A American Legion baseball tourney. So now that all the teams are known, let's make a few predictions.

First round (Friday):
RC 22 over Yankton
Brandon Valley over Watertown
Renner over Pierre
Mitchell over Harrisburg

Saturday:
Yankton over Watertown
Pierre over Harrisburg
Brandon Valley over RC 22
Mitchell over Renner

Sunday:
RC 22 over Pierre
Renner over Yankton
Mitchell over Brandon Valley

Monday:
RC 22 over Brandon Valley
Mitchell over Renner

Tuesday (championship):
Mitchell over RC 22

It is a bit bold to predict anyone other that Post 22 winning the state championship, but Mitchell has been close the last two years and this may be their deepest team from top to bottom. RC 22 is good, but they looked vulnerable in the region tourney last weekend. It would not surprise me if Brandon Valley makes a deep run.

Overall, this is a nicely balanced field that should produce some quality baseball, but it would be a shock if anyone other than 22, Mitchell, Brandon or Renner isn't holding the trophy on Tuesday.
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 10880 » July 25th, 2019, 7:59 am

I don't disagree with many of your predictions.

Day 1 has a good chance to produce some upsets.
Luelleman now that he is healthy from Yankton has a chance to beat Rapid City. He went 4-0 vs Region opponents this year.
Raske from Pierre was lights out last weekend against Rapid City 320, I could see them beating Renner. I don't know if this is really an upset though I'd say Renner and Pierre is basically a #4 vs #5 game.
Chase Mason from Harrisburg might be the best pitcher in the state. (3H and 13K vs East last weekend). He has got a great chance to beat Mitchell in the first round.
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

10880 wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 7:59 am
I don't disagree with many of your predictions.

Day 1 has a good chance to produce some upsets.
Luelleman now that he is healthy from Yankton has a chance to beat Rapid City. He went 4-0 vs Region opponents this year.
Raske from Pierre was lights out last weekend against Rapid City 320, I could see them beating Renner. I don't know if this is really an upset though I'd say Renner and Pierre is basically a #4 vs #5 game.
Chase Mason from Harrisburg might be the best pitcher in the state. (3H and 13K vs East last weekend). He has got a great chance to beat Mitchell in the first round.
In a 7-inning game, one hot pitcher can carry a team. You just laid out the case for some upsets that could throw this whole tourney on its ear.It should be a fun weekend at Cadwell!
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 26th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Huge upset in the opening round of the state Legion tourney (as predicted by 10880) as Yankton defeats Rapid City Post 22 4-1 behind a complete game from Kieran Lulleman. RC 22 committed an uncharacteristic 5 errors in the game.
OgieOglethorpe
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby OgieOglethorpe » July 31st, 2019, 7:58 am

Who would have thought?? Renner=State Champs! I guess only giving up 2.6 runs per game and only 2 errors on the weekend equates to an improbable championship! Way to go Renner! Oh yea, only 5 seniors on the team and the Junior Legion Team won the State Championship as well. Bright Future for Post 307!
"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » July 31st, 2019, 9:28 am

Congratulations to Renner Post 307 on winning their first state championship in only their eighth year of existence! What an accomplishment for them and best of luck in next week's Central Plains Regional in Sioux Falls.

On a side note, Rapid City Post 22 has now lost two of the last three state tourneys. After five decades of dominance, maybe the gap is narrowing between the long-time kings of South Dakota Legion baseball and the rest of the field.
Walk On
Walk On

Postby 10880 » August 2nd, 2019, 7:52 am

Little bit of a surprise this last week in Mitchell. After the first two days I would have said it was going to come down to Yankton and Renner (Because of 22 kicking the ball all around). Yankton looked like the best team the first two days. Then one inning against Renner and their whole tournament changed. Renner just never beat themselves, everybody else had some bad innings and just shot themselves in the foot.

A few takeaways from the state tournament:
Pretty good crowds for every session.
Mitchell field crew did an awesome job keeping up with the rain.
Matthew Moors and Brady Hawkins could play multiple sports in college
Mason Runia (Renner SS) the 9 hole hitter wins MVP
22 'looked' like the best team the last 3 days of the tournament
There was a lot of good pitching performances but I'd say the only dominating pitching performance was Zabel over Harrisburg day two.
recruit
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby recruit » August 2nd, 2019, 10:56 pm

Class B Legion Tourney underway today in Lennox with Redfield over Tabor, Winner/Colome over Beresford, Humboldt over Big Stone, and Lennox over Dell Rapids in 9 innings. Any predictions on how this one shakes out? I thought Tabor and Lennox were probably the favorites going into this based on recent history in Class B - but Tabor with a day 1 loss and Lennox without Brock Anderson pitching for the rest of tourney probably levels the field a bit.

I expect Tabor and Dells to come out of the elimination games tomorrow afternoon and expect the evening games to be close. Humboldt and Lennox are probably the favorites but could see those games going either way depending on day 2 pitching and who plays a clean game. I like whomever comes out of the last game tomorrow between Winner/Colome and Lennox to be the undefeated team come Monday. I think Tabor will battle back through the elimination side of the bracket and be a tough out.