Coaches Leaving

Discuss football here

Moderator: Forum Admin Staff

giminy rickets
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Coaches Leaving

Postby giminy rickets » December 8th, 2017, 10:44 am

Sounds Mike Flakus at Aberdeen Central has resigned as Head Football Coach. One of the good guys in the profession.
AC Parent
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Coaches Leaving

Postby AC Parent » December 8th, 2017, 11:08 am

Confirmed this morning in the Aberdeen American News. Mike is one of the classiest men you will ever meet. Not surprised that he's stepping down, now that he's had the privilege of coaching both of his sons through high school. He's had a good run at CHS. He will stay on as a teacher and assistant track coach, per the newspaper report.
Stanford
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Stanford » January 10th, 2018, 10:48 am

Do you think it's connected with his sons? Or is the man simply in need of a change. Who could blame him.
AC Parent
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AC Parent » January 10th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Mike is in his 50's. Getting close to retirement age from the school district. So it's time to slow down and enjoy his last few years of teaching before hitting that Rule of 85 (I think? Maybe Rule of 80? Whatever it is ...). And I'm sure it doesn't hurt that his boys are now done with HS football so he'll have time to enjoy watching college athletics as well.
Team Player 2
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby Team Player 2 » January 10th, 2018, 3:47 pm

Probably also doesn't help that AC is going to be bad in football for a really long time. Might as well get out now when your kids are done.
hankb
Starter
Starter

Postby hankb » January 12th, 2018, 10:25 am

AC Parent wrote:Mike is in his 50's. Getting close to retirement age from the school district. So it's time to slow down and enjoy his last few years of teaching before hitting that Rule of 85 (I think? Maybe Rule of 80? Whatever it is ...). And I'm sure it doesn't hurt that his boys are now done with HS football so he'll have time to enjoy watching college athletics as well.
Think the AD is retiring, and he wants that position?
hankb (these are my opinions, and the only facts stated are that I wrote them unless otherwise specified)
AC Parent
Rookie
Rookie

Postby AC Parent » January 15th, 2018, 9:30 am

hankb wrote: Think the AD is retiring, and he wants that position?
I don't know if Mr. Brownell is retiring, but I highly doubt that Mike wants the AD position.
softkitty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby softkitty » January 20th, 2018, 11:25 am

Dell Rapids head coach, Steve Hansen, is retiring.
Jacks Sports
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Jacks Sports » January 25th, 2018, 3:10 pm

softkitty wrote:Dell Rapids head coach, Steve Hansen, is retiring.
That's to bad...they don't have the same athletes anymore, and their vanilla offense was easy to defend. Not sure if they will bring someone else in to change it up or hire within. I am hearing it will be an assistant so it will probably stay the same.
wannabe
Walk On
Walk On

Postby wannabe » January 30th, 2018, 10:38 pm

yeah.... lot of high school teams wish they were that 'vanilla'!!
NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby NebraskaNorm » January 31st, 2018, 9:40 am

No kidding. West Central vanilla'd their way to a few championships.
Jacks Sports
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Jacks Sports » January 31st, 2018, 10:21 am

Because each team had the athletes to do whatever they wanted and still win. Now, both teams do not have the athletes needed and look where the offense is getting them. They both have tried to change things up, but go back to their bread and butter which is going to get them nowhere in the future. The wing t and west centrals overload offense you need the athletes, both teams do not have those. Both teams/coaches need to change up their philosophies to continue to contend. Don't be stuck in their ways and realize the culture of football is changing. The Barbers, Langers, or Schmidts aren't coming through that door again, time to change from the vanilla wing t. Doing it for a series here and there, or a quarter and switching right back does not equate to changing up the offense. I wonder why very few teams in high school/college run those offenses...
FBParent101
Captain
Captain

Postby FBParent101 » January 31st, 2018, 10:58 am

Newsflash: you need the athletes to run any offense and be successful. Bigger Newsflash: the more complex/spread-based offense you run, the better those athletes have to be to be successful. Watch a HS team that tries to run the spread without any speed or passing ability and it looks like garbage. That's why there's still a lot of High School teams run the traditional heavy-run based offenses, because you can plug any kid into them and still have some level of success. If you're saying Dells and West Central don't have the athletes any more, that's a better argument to run a more traditional offense. Winner ran it and won two Championships, Tri-Valley ran it to a lot of dome appearances and Championships, and the 11B game this year were two run-heavy teams: SFC was running a shotgun version of the Double Wing and B-E was power football as well. Dells was a missed XP away from possibly advancing to the semi-finals. It was five years ago that West Central ran their Wing-T to victory over Madison's spread in the Dome. The next year Dells did the same thing with their Double Wing. I think they'll be ok.
NebraskaNorm
Walk On
Walk On

Postby NebraskaNorm » January 31st, 2018, 11:00 am

Usually, to win a state title you have to have a strong program. I'd say Dells has that. You also need good athletes and depth. Schools are dealt the players they get. When a good class or two comes up together, you have a shot. Not sure the base offense matters much. Madison could have won this year with any offense. Gotta have the horses. Should coaches adapt to the players? Absolutely. But, to say the Wing-T can't win Class A Football in South Dakota is laughable.
Curryfan_3
Walk On
Walk On

Postby Curryfan_3 » February 15th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Any idea who the next football coach at Aberdeen Central will be?
SDFBFan7708
Walk On
Walk On

Postby SDFBFan7708 » April 26th, 2018, 7:58 am

The head job at Deuel is open. Coach Rosdahl put in his resignation yesterday after accepting a job in Georgia.
cheapseats
Walk On
Walk On

Postby cheapseats » May 14th, 2018, 12:15 am

Congratulations on a great career, Coach Steve Hansen in Dell Rapids.
Five championsips in 11A - 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and a runner-up finish in 2006.

Any word on who is getting the Dells job?
CSDsportsfan1
Benchwarmer
Benchwarmer

Postby CSDsportsfan1 » May 15th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Stanley County job is open. Tom O'Boyle is moving to Vermillion to be middle school principal.
SDFBFan7708
Walk On
Walk On

Postby SDFBFan7708 » May 21st, 2018, 1:00 pm

SDFBFan7708 wrote:
April 26th, 2018, 7:58 am
The head job at Deuel is open. Coach Rosdahl put in his resignation yesterday after accepting a job in Georgia.
Dustin Hourigan will be taking over the head job after serving as an assistant at Deuel the past five seasons.